Windows 10: Moving files to a sub-folder

Discus and support Moving files to a sub-folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I try to move a file from a folder to a sub-folder, it puts the file in the sub-folder, but remains in the original folder also. I've gone to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JoeMagie1, Apr 20, 2021.

1. JoeMagie1 Win User

Moving files to a sub-folder

When I try to move a file from a folder to a sub-folder, it puts the file in the sub-folder, but remains in the original folder also. I've gone to Windows Explorer > View > Options > View > Folders > and reset the folder options to default but that does nothing. This must have just started recently... as I used to be able to do this. I would appreciate any help.

:)

JoeMagie1, Apr 20, 2021

2. sub folders

Hi Paulette,

You can move the sub-folder by dragging the sub-folder from the other Picture Folder up to the main Picture Folder. However, the sub-folder will remain as a sub-folder.

If you want to make the sub-folder as a stand alone folder, we suggest that you create a new folder on your desired location, then move over the files from the sub-folder to the new folder that you created.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Apr 20, 2021
  3. ReyKenobi Win User
    Move files to a custom sub-folder using context menu.

Hi,
    I have many Folders related to work and personal stuff. Example:
    • Utilities
    • Accounts
    • Subscriptions
    • Bills
    etc.

Each of these folders has a sub-folder named "Archive" where I move files when I am done with them.

I was wondering, is there is a way to have a context menu entry, say "Move to Archive" or "Archive It", such that I can select one or more file, right-click & select the entry, and the selected files are moved to the sub-folder named Archive in whatever Folder I am working in.

So if I am working in Bills, the files will get moved to the Archive sub-folder under Bills, and so on.

I am open to a registry hack or a third-party app, whatever achieves this result.

ReyKenobi, Apr 20, 2021
  4. Arul_D Win User

sub Folder for outlook

Hello,

Thank you for writing your query in Microsoft Community. I would like to have some more understanding to the issue so that we can diagnose and work on the issue faster. Kindly provide me the following information:

• Where are you trying to create a sub folder is it on mail app or other application?
    If it is mail app, unfortunately there is no option to create a sub folder in Mail app, I would suggest you to share your feedback in Windows Feedback app.

Arul_D, Apr 20, 2021
Thema:

1. Moving files to a sub-folder - Similar Threads - Moving files sub

2. Duplicate Files In Sub-folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate Files In Sub-folders: Hi Experts, I have a folder with many sub folders, in every sub folder there are many files .jpg , .PDF etc.. I need to duplicate these files in same sub folders on one click. may anybody help me to resolve this problem. I shell be thankful to you experts.Thanks Regard,Faisal...
  3. Duplicate Files In Sub-folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicate Files In Sub-folders: Hi Experts, I have a folder with many sub folders, in every sub folder there are many files .jpg , .PDF etc.. I need to duplicate these files in same sub folders on one click. may anybody help me to resolve this problem. I shell be thankful to you experts.Thanks Regard,Faisal...
  4. Duplicate Files In Sub-folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Moving Windows 10 installation files to sub-folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Windows 10 installation files to sub-folder: Sorry if this is a bit of a mundane question... I have two USB drives with separate Windows 10 installation files on them 1x Home Ed, 1x Pro. Is it safe to move them into two sub-folders on one drive, eg G:/Win-10-Home-Inst and G:/Win-10-Pro-Inst? Thanks....
  6. Sorting folders and the sub folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting folders and the sub folders: Hello. I have a huge music archive and recently had to format and clean install my windows 10, meanwhile I had my archive in my HDD. Now the problem is, my song folder had around 1200~ albums in it, every album in that main folder was ordered by Date and inside every album it...
  7. Sorting files inside sub folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting files inside sub folders: I have a bunch of pdf's in 29 folders. And I need them to stay in those folders but I also need to see all the files inside these folders sorted by date added/modified. Is this possible? Almost as if I could search "pdf:date modified" in the folder containing all 29 sub...
  8. Randomly some files in a folder in a sub folder of the main folder are moved to the main...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Randomly some files in a folder in a sub folder of the main folder are moved to the main...: I have a folder named Music, with several subfolders and the subfolder has further sub folders. e.g. Music - The rest - Artie Shaw. For some reason the "Artie Shaw" folder copies itself to "Music" (from "The rest") and moves a few of the files from Artie Shaw. The original...
  9. Move files to a custom sub-folder using context menu.

in Windows 10 Support
    Move files to a custom sub-folder using context menu.: Hi, I have many Folders related to work and personal stuff. Example: Utilities Accounts Subscriptions Bills etc. Each of these folders has a sub-folder named "Archive" where I move files when I am done with them. I was wondering, is there is a way to have a context menu...
  10. Setting folder and sub-folders properties in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting folder and sub-folders properties in file explorer: Hello, In the file explorer I have folders with pictures, music and videos. Each type is stores in a separate main folder and under it subfolders. In the main folder properties I customize it what columns I want to see, then I click to set the same to all subfolders, click...