Windows 10: moving folders

Discus and support moving folders in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This is no doubt an easy, perhaps even stupid, question. I want to move a very large folder pictures from the small C drive on my computer to the D... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by gba, Aug 6, 2022.

1. GBA
    gba Win User

moving folders

This is no doubt an easy, perhaps even stupid, question. I want to move a very large folder pictures from the small C drive on my computer to the D drive, which is much larger. With windows 10 and previous iterations of windows, this was easy; there was an option on the ribbon. That option has been deleted in windows 11 and there is no easy to to do this. Drag and DRop doesn't work, of course, because that only copies the folder and for other reasons I don't want to copy and then delete the original folder. Cut and paste with a folder this size is just asking for trouble.So, how do I

:)

2. Moving to Folders

Hello Krishnan,

Let's work on this. You can follow the steps provided below to help move photos and videos on a new folder:

• Swipe left and select File Explorer app.
    • Choose the folder where the photos and videos are saved.
    • Select the items you want to move.
    • Press the Move button.
    • You can create a New folder by pressing the Ellipsis (. . .) button or you can press the
      Up button located at the right side corner of the screen to move the items to an existing folder.
    • Tap Check or Done button when finished.

We're here if you need further assistance.

Timoteo IV Ofr, Aug 6, 2022
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

enso, Aug 6, 2022
  4. Rose Cal Win User

moving folders

Suddenly, Documents folder has moved to Downloads

We appreciate the details you've provided. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to move your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10:

• You need to create a new folder named Documents at the location you want to move your personal Documents folder.
    • Press Win + E to open File Explorer, right-click
      Documents, and select Properties.
    • Select the Location tab and click the Move button.
    • Browse and select the new Documents folder at the location you want to move the folder Documents. Click the
      Select Folder.
    • Click OK to apply.
    • Click Yes to move all the files from the old location to the new location.
    • Your personal Documents folder and all of its contents will now be moved to the new location.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Aug 6, 2022
Thema:

moving folders

1. moving folders - Similar Threads - moving folders

2. Safe to Move These Folders to New User Profile?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Safe to Move These Folders to New User Profile?: I've already made several posts in the forums about a virus I had and the feedback has been very helpful so far. I have another question now. I had to create a new User in Windows because the virus corrupted my original account. When I went to delete my old account, Windows...
  3. Safe to Move These Folders to New User Profile?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Safe to Move These Folders to New User Profile?: I've already made several posts in the forums about a virus I had and the feedback has been very helpful so far. I have another question now. I had to create a new User in Windows because the virus corrupted my original account. When I went to delete my old account, Windows...
  4. Cannot Find or Add Location Tab in Properties when trying to move a folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Find or Add Location Tab in Properties when trying to move a folder.: Hello,I have been having so much problems trying to move a folder out of c:\users\username\OneDrive. Up until a few days ago, I had a Location Tab in Properties. I was trying to move a folder out of there, but I kept on getting error messages. Now I don't know where it is:I...
  5. Cannot Find or Add Location Tab in Properties when trying to move a folder.

Cannot Find or Add Location Tab in Properties when trying to move a folder.: Hello,I have been having so much problems trying to move a folder out of c:\users\username\OneDrive. Up until a few days ago, I had a Location Tab in Properties. I was trying to move a folder out of there, but I kept on getting error messages. Now I don't know where it is:I...
  6. Accidentally moving folders- 2024 and still a problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidentally moving folders- 2024 and still a problem: I am re-raising an issue that has been a problem since forever, the lack of a prompt whenever a folder is dragged into another folder. Our enterprise uses many shared file areas where you may see dozens of subfolders and dozens of staff who have varying expertise in using...
  7. Move many scanned documents to one folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move many scanned documents to one folder: Trying to place many scans into one folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-many-scanned-documents-to-one-folder/c0394e9c-7acc-4159-a2be-860b0156d511
  8. Move many scanned documents to one folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move many scanned documents to one folder: Trying to place many scans into one folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-many-scanned-documents-to-one-folder/c0394e9c-7acc-4159-a2be-860b0156d511
  9. Move many scanned documents to one folder

10. How do you fix when you can't delete, move or rename files and folders in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you fix when you can't delete, move or rename files and folders in windows 10?: Windows 10Intel Core i5 3.30GHz4GB ram64-bit operating system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-fix-when-you-cant-delete-move-or-rename/d7089418-dc61-4cf1-969e-64ad662340c9