Windows 10: Moving from Linux for 10 yrs back to Windows: Having some Windows Woes

Discus and support Moving from Linux for 10 yrs back to Windows: Having some Windows Woes in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; First let me say that Win 10 is a huge improvement over every other windows versions I've used in the past. My Googleing on these topics hasn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LavaTiger99, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Moving from Linux for 10 yrs back to Windows: Having some Windows Woes

First let me say that Win 10 is a huge improvement over every other windows versions I've used in the past. My Googleing on these topics hasn't produced any satisfying solutions.

I'm running Win10 Home, build: 19041.329 with WSL2

#1) When I search 'asus' in the start menu nothing comes up, but 'myasus' is an installed program and comes up when I search that. Same thing when I search 'office', nothing, but searching 'only' brings up onlyoffice. I have enhanced search with indexing turned on.

#1.1) Also related to the search, I notice the search randomly switching between top choices when typing, for example typing 'p', the top result is powershell, typing 'po' top result is 'choose a power plan', and those two will flip back and forth as the top choice as I continue to type the word 'power', until I complete the word then 'power and sleep settings' is the top choice. This just leads to me starting to type what I am searching for, seeing it display, hitting enter then having the wrong thing come up because I typed one extra character in the word that made another program come up just before I hit enter. Very frustrating...

How can M$ run a search engine but can't even find a program in a list of programs?

#2) Some programs (mainly Windows Terminal app and Power Shell) don't remember their last window size. Terminal always opens in a small window when I always close it as fullscreen, and powershell always opens with it's window half off the screen (downward) even though it can fit on the screen...

#3) Autofocus assist: I like seeing all my notifications, so I have disabled autofocus assist. Every time I boot and whenever I wake laptop from sleep (especially if it's late at night, it auto turns on). But it will also just randomly do it when I'm using it too. In settings>focus assist I have "Off" selected in top part, then in automatic rules I have "during these times" turned off, the rest are on.

#4) All of my VPNs are openvpn, is there a way to integrate that into the vpn button on the notifications page, so I don't have to open the VPN client, start it, then minimize it. I know w/ gnome-network-manager one could install and integrate openvpn support.

#5) I hate having each program I open say it needs an update, and to go to the website, download an exe, manually run it, and cleanup the exe afterwards. So I downloaded and am using Chocolatey, is that the best way to manage packages in windows? Is there a more official way?

#6) I like the multiple desktops like in Linux, but is there a way to move current window to another desktop via keyboard w/o having to open up that overview display? E.g. ctrl+Win left/right switches windows, is there a way to make ctrl+shift+Win move your view and the current window to the next desktop over?

Also, I made this autohotkey script so I wouldn't go mad...

; Ctrl+Alt+t to open WindowsTerminal ^!t:: Run wt.exe

Thanks all, any help appreciated!

submitted by /u/LavaTiger99
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LavaTiger99, Jul 10, 2020
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jul 10, 2020
  3. Scrizz Win User
    Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Jul 10, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Moving from Linux for 10 yrs back to Windows: Having some Windows Woes

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

Moving from Linux for 10 yrs back to Windows: Having some Windows Woes

1. Moving from Linux for 10 yrs back to Windows: Having some Windows Woes - Similar Threads - Moving Linux yrs

2. Moving from Kali linux to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving from Kali linux to Windows 10: I am currently using kali linux. But i want to remove it and move back to windows. I made a usb installation dive for windows. But when I try to boot the os, I get this error. 0x8007000D. What should I do?...
  3. Moving from Kali linux to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving from Kali linux to Windows 10: I am currently using kali linux. But i want to remove it and move back to windows. I made a usb installation dive for windows. But when I try to boot the os, I get this error. 0x8007000D. What should I do?...
  4. Moving from Kali linux to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. switching back from linux to windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    switching back from linux to windows: so i've been trying to get back to windows for the past 2 hours and all i get is a media driver missing. yes i have tried switching usb ports. any fixes? pls i am really tired from doing this. submitted by /u/tektek_27 [link] [comments]...
  6. Moving windows like on Linux

Moving windows like on Linux: Blah blah, story of my life Since a year I mainly use Linux, but because my main PC is going to be taken by my sister i temporarily installed windows there so I can play some games. I never really liked windows but not having ability to quickly resize and move windows is...
  7. Questions about moving back to windows fulltime from a dual boot Windows/Linux setup.

Questions about moving back to windows fulltime from a dual boot Windows/Linux setup.: Finally tired of dealing with linux on my laptop and have some questions about reinstalling windows. In the process of dual booting I moved partitions around and resized other partitions and deleted the reserve partition. I want to go back to a standard windows 10 partition...
  8. I want to go back from linux to windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I want to go back from linux to windows 10: I want to go back windows 10 from linux but i don't have product key. My laptop comes with pre-installed windows 10. Can i go back my genuine windows 10....
  9. Back to Windows 10 from Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back to Windows 10 from Linux: I have installed Linux on my laptop after cleaning it completely, but I need to Install Windows 10 back on my PC. I have saved my product key. Is it possible to do that and how....
  10. Windows 10 woes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 woes: Hey guys, I'm desperately hoping someone here can possibly point me in the right direction as I've more or less used up all my limited technical knowledge on this. I would be eternally grateful to anyone who help - this is a brand new rig, save for the graphics card. I'm...