Windows 10: Moving from one boot drive to another with a fresh install.

Discus and support Moving from one boot drive to another with a fresh install. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am moving from my current build which has a 1Tb hdd as the boot drive and another 500gb hdd to the same computer but with an added 500gb ssd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TheItaIianMike, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Moving from one boot drive to another with a fresh install.

Hello,

I am moving from my current build which has a 1Tb hdd as the boot drive and another 500gb hdd to the same computer but with an added 500gb ssd which I will be booting windows off of. Now, I am limited by internet and do not want to reinstall all of my programs.
    Is there anyway to move all of my programs to the new setup? I will still be using the 1Tb and 500gb hdd's inside my new build, just as raw storage as the 500gb will be for booting and a few games/programs.
    I want this computer to be able to boot off the 500gb and so that I can move programs/files I want from the hdd's onto the ssd. The issue here is that when I connected my 2 hdd's to my ssd as the boot drive, I could not boot the programs from the hard drives. I am now currently back on my 2 hdd setup with the ssd just lying around waiting to be booted from. I just do not know how to go about this as once again, I do not want to have to redownload every single program and I want them to be on the correct drive. For example, I might want Discord on my ssd, but a game on my hard drive. I am doing a fresh install of windows as my current version's registry is wonky and is not allowing my computer to connect to the internet anymore unless I toy with it for a good while, but that is limited for only that boot. I have changed motherboards and that did not fix my issue so I am now reinstalling windows, which did fix my issue when I booted off the ssd. Preferrably, I would like to keep the ssd as the C: drive and the hdd's as what they currently are with all their programs except that I want to be able to run them. Keep in mind that this is not two different computers, it will be the same computer but just with an added boot drive. This is on Windows 10, versions are both updated to the lastest update.
    Any insight on this will be extremely helpful, trying to get this set up before my Online Courses start up and I dont have time to toy with it.

Thank you.

:)

TheItaIianMike, Mar 22, 2020

2. Fresh USB Windows 10 Install - Failing

I am trying to install a fresh copy (reformatted the hard disk) of windows 10 using a USB

• Created an installation media on a USB flash drive (Win 10 pro) from this page Download Windows 10
    • Changed the boot order on the other PC so that it boots using USB
    • Selected custom install
    • Installing Windows goes through the following steps successfully: Copying Windows Files, Getting Files ready for installation, Installing features, Installing updates and before the last step (Finishing up), it restarts
    • Then it goes back to the start of the installation steps

I am stuck and have read numerous posts but don't know what to do to install a fresh copy of Win 10.

deepakkaushik, Mar 22, 2020
  3. Move an OS install to another drive?

I posted this in my thread. if you have a answer please go post in MY thread so i dont steal shadow folds thread

Ok, tried out ghost, didn't work. it was a complete fail.

Tried acronis, got better results but i cant boot from the drive because i had it installed with a raid setup. so anytime i use the 7200.11 drive i have the option for intel raid which boots the system but if i choose the 7200.11 it wont boot. same thing when i move it all to 7200.12 except i dont get a intel raid option after the clone.

suggestions?

my thread > partition to partition copy

freaksavior, Mar 22, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

Moving from one boot drive to another with a fresh install.

how do i move hard drive to new computer?

intel to intel you have a shot.

Install the latest intel chipset drivers and it may just work transferring it over - the key is to have teh new sata controllers drivers installed BEFORE moving it over (i normally transfer to a PCI-E SATA-II card i have, then boot the new system on the PCI-E card, install the onboard drivers, and then move to the onboard sata.)

for clarification on my steps.

1. install new SATA card/controller in original PC and install drivers
    2. power off, move boot drive to the sata card
    3. boot windows to make sure it works
    4. get new system up, move sata card to it with boot drive attached.
    5. boot windows - a few reboots are always needed to get around the change of hardware
    6. move the boot drive to the new mobos sata ports, and it should work.

Mussels, Mar 22, 2020
Thema:

Moving from one boot drive to another with a fresh install.

1. Moving from one boot drive to another with a fresh install. - Similar Threads - Moving boot drive

2. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving from one boot drive to another: So on my windows 10 PC i have 3 drives:My SSD - Which was my old main drive that was running windows and still has it Important filesJust a storage drive Important filesMy new 3TB HD - Which is running windows on it now No important filesIm trying to switch back to windows on...
  3. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving from one boot drive to another: So on my windows 10 PC i have 3 drives:My SSD - Which was my old main drive that was running windows and still has it Important filesJust a storage drive Important filesMy new 3TB HD - Which is running windows on it now No important filesIm trying to switch back to windows on...
  4. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move Windows From One Drive To Another: I have three drives C,D & E. I want to move windows and do a clean install from C to E, but keep the files that are on D. The main reason is that C is tiny and out of space and E is faster and much larger. I don't care about preferences and applications being lost as I have...
  6. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Windows From One Drive To Another: I have three drives C,D & E. I want to move windows and do a clean install from C to E, but keep the files that are on D. The main reason is that C is tiny and out of space and E is faster and much larger. I don't care about preferences and applications being lost as I have...
  7. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

8. Files moved from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files moved from one drive to another: Hello,So recently my files have been moved from one drive to another, my files in drive C: are now in drive F:, and the ones in drive F: are now in drive E:, and I'm logged into a default user instead of mine. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?...
  9. Files moved from one drive to another

Files moved from one drive to another: Hello,So recently my files have been moved from one drive to another, my files in drive C: are now in drive F:, and the ones in drive F: are now in drive E:, and I'm logged into a default user instead of mine. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?...
  10. Files moved from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Gaming