Windows 10: Moving from win7/old pc to win10/new pc

Discus and support Moving from win7/old pc to win10/new pc in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a newly built pc on which I will install Win 10. My old pc has Win 7 installed. I plan to have the new pc boot UEFI. The old pc is legacy boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Caramelo, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Caramelo Win User

Moving from win7/old pc to win10/new pc

I have a newly built pc on which I will install Win 10. My old pc has Win 7 installed.

I plan to have the new pc boot UEFI. The old pc is legacy boot (non-UEFI).

Q1. Will I be able to just put the old HDDs in the new pc as storage and transfer files (photos, music, downloaded files, documents) from the old HDDs to the new drives on the new pc? Will the UEFI/legacy bios issue have any effect on that?

Q2. How about entire folders like Documents? Can that be transferred or merged between a win7 pc and a new win10 pc? I'm not even sure if it's called the same thing in Win 10 as I don't have it installed.

Q3. How about bookmarks for Firefox and Google Chrome? Are they in the cloud and will still be there when I install and sign into the browsers on the new pc or are they resident on the old pc?

Q4. If I install the old C: drive, which has Win 7 on it, in the new pc as a storage drive will the fact that it has an OS on it cause any conflicts? I suspect it won't because of the boot priority I will set up in the new pc bios.

Besides transferring the HDDs my other option is a 500gb external HD.

:)

Caramelo, Jul 30, 2019

2. i bought laplink pc mover and moved win7 over to a new pc win10,email didnt move, desktop moved but does not work

bought laplink pc mover and moved win7 over to a new pc win10,email didnt move, desktop moved but does not work

EdgarBergen, Jul 30, 2019
  3. dahas Win User
    WIN10 HOMEGROUP not accessible by WIN7 PCs

Hello,

I cannot connect my WIN 7(home) PCs (3 of them) to a homegoup created on a new Windows 10 (home) computer.

The WIN 7 PC see each other without any issue.

Here’s how I proceeded:

• Leave all homegroups on the WIN7 PCs
    • Create a new homegroup on the WIN10 pc with the same group
    • The WIN7 PCs see the new homegroup
    • Click on join and enter password
    • After some time I get a message that connection was not possible

I’ve also tried to create the homegroup on a WIN7 pc. The WIN10 pc can see and accept to join but the shares are not visible.

Running WIN 10 1709 HOME

dahas, Jul 30, 2019
  4. UBE Chief Win User

Curious about my Win7 key and moving to Win10.

Yes, that is the plan with the new build, but as I am also using that same key on my old build, to give to my family to use, would that still be possible?

For example: I reinstall Win7 on my old PC. The activation goes through, all is well.

Next, I install Win10 on my new build, and when it asks for a key, I provide my the key I used for Win7.

Will it go through as well? And if it does, will the other PC, running Win7, encounter issues because I used the same key on my new PC for Win10?

UBE Chief, Jul 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Moving from win7/old pc to win10/new pc - Similar Threads - Moving win7 old

2. Moving from old PC with Win10 to new PC with Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving from old PC with Win10 to new PC with Win11: I bought Windows 10 Home in in 2017 on Microsoft Store. When Windows 11 came around, it told me that my PC doesn't meet the requirements. Finally I have built a new PC and installed Windows 11. I want to deactivate Windows 10 on my old PC and activate Windows 11 to my new...
  3. Moving from old PC with Win10 to new PC with Win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving from old PC with Win10 to new PC with Win11: I bought Windows 10 Home in in 2017 on Microsoft Store. When Windows 11 came around, it told me that my PC doesn't meet the requirements. Finally I have built a new PC and installed Windows 11. I want to deactivate Windows 10 on my old PC and activate Windows 11 to my new...
  4. SSD Moved from old to new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    SSD Moved from old to new PC: Hello, I recently built a new computer and moved my SSD that contained my windows install from the old to the new computer. Everything boots fine, but I'm getting the notifications that my copy of windows is not genuine and that I need to provide a windows key. I never had to...
  5. Moving Fonts from OLD PC to NEW

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Fonts from OLD PC to NEW: Hiya, I have a new PC and want all the additional fonts I added to my old PC. How does one... do that? https://www.techwalla.com/articles/h...ter-to-another That article provides a method. But it implies you must pick and choose which you want to move. I want to skip that...
  6. Can I use old Win7 key to get Win10 on new PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I use old Win7 key to get Win10 on new PC?: Back in 2016 I bought Windows 7 Professional. I still have the product key. I used this on my PC at the time to install Windows 7. I then used the free upgrade to move to Windows 10 (Edition: Windows 10 RTM Professional Retail). I'm building a new computer in January and...
  7. Win7 Pro Old PC --> Win10 Pro clean install new PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win7 Pro Old PC --> Win10 Pro clean install new PC?: Hey, as the title says, I have a valid Win 7 pro license running on my old PC. Can I in any way transfer this to install Win 10 Pro on my new device? Thanks! submitted by /u/0x07C3 [link] [comments]...
  8. moving windows license from old pc to new pc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    moving windows license from old pc to new pc: Hi, I purchased a dell PC (not windows 10 pro), and then updated it Windows 10 pro. I queried the machine to get my activation code I uninstalled the windows license from the dell, with success, How do I upgrade my surface pro 6 (just purchased) from windows home to that...
  9. Moving win10 from old computer to new

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving win10 from old computer to new: I'm upgrading from and old computer to a new build. Am I able to move the operating system to the new one without buying a brand new windows product key? I will not be using the old one whatsoever (just keeping the hard drives). Originally this was a windows 7 and I got the...
  10. transfer emails and favorites from win7 pc to new win10 pc?

in Browsers and Email
    transfer emails and favorites from win7 pc to new win10 pc?: I need to transfer saved emails and all favorites from a win7 pc to a new win10 pc. How do I do that, using a usb drive? Thanks 20831

Users found this page by searching for:

1. transfer old Win7 pc to new win10 pc

2. moving thunderbird data to new computer win7 to win10