Windows 10: Moving Games Folder

Discus and support Moving Games Folder in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a games folder on my C drive, with loads of games in, I want to move it to another drive, how do I move it so that all the links/icons are still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by elbmek, May 21, 2017.

1. elbmek Win User

Moving Games Folder

I have a games folder on my C drive, with loads of games in, I want to move it to another drive, how do I move it so that all the links/icons are still active?

:)

elbmek, May 21, 2017
  2. froschy Win User

N97 Application Problem

I think I understand what you're asking, basically you want to move the application icon for the game from the applications area to the games area.

If so navigate to the Applications area then from "Options" (bottom lefthand corner) select "Organize", select the icon that you want to move and then from "Options" select "Move to folder", then select "Games" folder, finally press "Done"

Options>Organize> {Select Icon} Options>Move to folder>Games folder>Done

Hope this helps!

froschy, May 21, 2017
  3. Shenan Stanley, May 21, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

Moving Games Folder

Steam has a program for that but can move only their games. For others it's just manual work of reinstalling them to different drive/directory.

CountMike, May 22, 2017
  5. Slippery Win User
    Here ya are: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...18-YUBN-8129&l=

And it is for just steam games, however you can reinstall the non steam games to the new drive and steam will let you incorporate a shortcut for them into steam. From the steam main page and the menu at top choose games and in the drop down the last choice is add a non steam game to my library.

Slippery, May 22, 2017
  6. elbmek Win User
    I have already moved the steam games no problem. I will check out the second half of your post soonest.

elbmek, May 22, 2017
  7. There used to be a program called SteamMover that could move Steam games, but ever since Valve integrated the library functionality, SteamMover is unnecessary. It works by copying your games to the new location, then creating an NTFS junction link to your new location. Junctions are well documented. The end result is that Steam and the games don't know that they've been moved, so they work fine. But Windows itself is aware of the new location.

As for other games, some are so-called portable. Just move a game folder and see if it plays, if it doesn't work then that game isn't portable, you'll need to reinstall it.

AnonVendetta, May 27, 2017
  8. elbmek Win User

Moving Games Folder

Steam was the easiest because most moved by uninstalling then reinstalling on new location and the saves came too, or stayed steam found them??

slippery, thanks for that link, interesting stuff.

elbmek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Moving Games Folder

1. Moving Games Folder - Similar Threads - Moving Games Folder

2. Move Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move Folder: I had moved folders such as those of 'One Drive', 'Google Drive' and '.pst files folder of MS outlook', to another drive without any issues so far.Now I want to move the data folder, including downloads, of 'WhatsApp' desktop to another drive.I always use WhatsApp desktop...
  3. Move Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Folder: I had moved folders such as those of 'One Drive', 'Google Drive' and '.pst files folder of MS outlook', to another drive without any issues so far.Now I want to move the data folder, including downloads, of 'WhatsApp' desktop to another drive.I always use WhatsApp desktop...
  4. Move Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. moving folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    moving folders: This is no doubt an easy, perhaps even stupid, question. I want to move a very large folder pictures from the small C drive on my computer to the D drive, which is much larger. With windows 10 and previous iterations of windows, this was easy; there was an option on the...
  6. moving folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    moving folders: This is no doubt an easy, perhaps even stupid, question. I want to move a very large folder pictures from the small C drive on my computer to the D drive, which is much larger. With windows 10 and previous iterations of windows, this was easy; there was an option on the...
  7. Game DVR Capture folder moved to Temp folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Game DVR Capture folder moved to Temp folder: [ATTACH] My xbox game capture is in my temp folder and I want to move it, but cannot. Can anyone help me with this issue. https://preview.redd.it/lfhtowhptcn41.png?width=473&format=png&auto=webp&s=bb2269d1abc92733b73af6bde5e3f6a5ee319a1c submitted by /u/realjrjelly...
  8. Folder move

Folder move: Hi, I was moving a large folder to a different location on the same drive at work but had to leave for the weekend before it finished. I paused the operation and left my computer on but locked, thinking I would just resume it on monday. What would happen if someone turned the...
  9. Game captures folders moved to D: is now gone!

Game captures folders moved to D: is now gone!: Hello I was trying to save space off my SDD so I decided to move my Captures folder to D: I tried copying and pasting it there but it didn't work, so I pressed properties and then elected location, then move and chose D: For some reason, I opened D and the screen captures...
  10. Game dvr capture folder moved to appdata

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game dvr capture folder moved to appdata: Hello i am having a very annoying issue where for some odd reason windows decided to end its relationship with the game dvr capture folder and is saving to this path "C:\Users\monst\AppData\Local\Temp" which renders the normal method of changing the folder unavailable. is...