Windows 10: Moving Gateway harddrive to HP PC

Discus and support Moving Gateway harddrive to HP PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Okay, so I am moving my hard drive from my old gateway PC to my HP PC. It detects that the hard drive is plugged in, it just wont boot it, even from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TheMuffinMan, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Moving Gateway harddrive to HP PC

Okay, so I am moving my hard drive from my old gateway PC to my HP PC. It detects that the hard drive is plugged in, it just wont boot it, even from the boot menu. Any Ideas?

:)

TheMuffinMan, Feb 4, 2017

2. Windows 10 compatibility with old devices

I have a 4 years old hp 500 gb harddrive which a I use on a windows 7 pc. I am planning to buy a windows 10 pc. Will the harddrive work on windows 10? If yes, will the data stored in the harddrive be formatted if I try to use it in windows 10?

Pulkit_Gupta, Feb 4, 2017
  3. reinstall windows?

My harddrive is running slower and slower so i bought me a new faster harddrive.

I want to only move windows 10 to my newer hdd so my pc is running faster but i want to keep my programs,pictures,video's.. on my older harddrive.

Can anyone help me with this?

Mathis_Hinnekens, Feb 4, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Moving Gateway harddrive to HP PC

If the o/s was installed on another pc drivers etc will not be the same and disk setting may not be the same so it wont work and it wont activate either

Samuria, Feb 4, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Its probably because one computer was legacy Bios (and matching MBR disk), and the other computer is UEFI (and matching GPT type disk). Since, more than likely, the old computer was legacy Bios, you can try entering the new computer UEFI setup and enabling legacy BIOS or CSM booting mode. Also disable secure boot.

Also if the old computer was set to IDE SATA controller type and the new computer is set to AHCI SATA controller type, that will keep Winodws from booing as well.

As far as new hardware and drivers - Windows 10 does a very good job of picking up the new hardware and installing drivers for the new hardware, so there isn't much worry there (other than MBR v. GPT disk type and IDE v. AHCI SATA controller).

If the new computer already had the same version and edition of Windows 10 on it once, then the Windows 10 on the hard drive being moved will self activate based upon the digital license for the new computer stored on MS Activation Servers.

NavyLCDR, Feb 4, 2017
  6. I'm not that good with the bios. The old PC was running windows 8 and the gateway is very old, so how do I do what you said? "you can try entering the new computer UEFI setup and enabling legacy BIOS or CSM booting mode. Also disable secure boot."

TheMuffinMan, Feb 4, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    To get into UEFI setup, you have to press the proper hotkey immediately after power on, when the HP logo screen is still up before you get to any Windows screens. On an HP, it is probably going to be ESC. It could be DEL, or one of the F keys as well. Need to look in the manual for your computer to see what the UEFI setup key is.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Moving Gateway harddrive to HP PC

1. Moving Gateway harddrive to HP PC - Similar Threads - Moving Gateway harddrive

2. My Gateway tower 504gr keeps ignoring the operating systems on the harddrive and goes into...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Gateway tower 504gr keeps ignoring the operating systems on the harddrive and goes into...: Hey everyone,I'm currently facing a annoying issue with my Gateway 504GR desktop computer, and I'm hoping someone here might be able to assist me. The problem is that my computer keeps getting stuck in recovery mode, completely ignoring the hard drives installed, one has...
  3. My Gateway tower 504gr keeps ignoring the operating systems on the harddrive and goes into...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Gateway tower 504gr keeps ignoring the operating systems on the harddrive and goes into...: Hey everyone,I'm currently facing a annoying issue with my Gateway 504GR desktop computer, and I'm hoping someone here might be able to assist me. The problem is that my computer keeps getting stuck in recovery mode, completely ignoring the hard drives installed, one has...
  4. PC Crash Causes Harddrive Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Crash Causes Harddrive Failure: This has happened twice. Background:My PC crashes sometimes, and I don't know why. No minidump is created, and the event log shows kernel power event ID 41. There is no sustained bluescreen after the crash--the bluescreen either doesn't appear or just flashes before the PC...
  5. PC Crash Causes Harddrive Failure

PC Crash Causes Harddrive Failure: This has happened twice. Background:My PC crashes sometimes, and I don't know why. No minidump is created, and the event log shows kernel power event ID 41. There is no sustained bluescreen after the crash--the bluescreen either doesn't appear or just flashes before the PC...
  6. PC Crash Causes Harddrive Failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Gateway 4320-01e crashed and repairman says bad harddrive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Gateway 4320-01e crashed and repairman says bad harddrive.: Gateway 4320-01e crashed and repairman says bad harddrive. got refirbished hard drive with windows 10 already installed. Need to be in Legacy mode to install. None offered in bios setup. bootup freezes in first windows screen with twirling circles. I've tried everything Help...
  8. Gateway 4320-01e crashed and repairman says bad harddrive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gateway 4320-01e crashed and repairman says bad harddrive.: Gateway 4320-01e crashed and repairman says bad harddrive. got refirbished hard drive with windows 10 already installed. Need to be in Legacy mode to install. None offered in bios setup. bootup freezes in first windows screen with twirling circles. I've tried everything Help...
  9. Gateway 4320-01e crashed and repairman says bad harddrive.

10. Reset PC, Harddrive corrupted

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reset PC, Harddrive corrupted: Hey guys, as the title says I have reset my PC. It was overdue tbh. I selected the save files and delete apps option and let a rip. After about 3 hours or so, I wasn’t really counting, it finished and I logged in. Then the screen went black, there was minimal to no icons on...