Windows 10: Moving Hard Drive to Another Computer and Activating Windows

Discus and support Moving Hard Drive to Another Computer and Activating Windows in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My screen on my old computer went out. So I moved my hard drive to my sister computer. Her computer was down as the hard drive was bad. I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by LauraPerkins2, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Moving Hard Drive to Another Computer and Activating Windows

My screen on my old computer went out. So I moved my hard drive to my sister computer. Her computer was down as the hard drive was bad. I was running Windows 10 home She was running Windows 7 Pro. So in moving my harddrive it is requesting me to activate my copy of windows. How do I do that without having to buy a new activation code.

:)

LauraPerkins2, Sep 18, 2019

2. How to Partiton a Hard Drive in Vista

This is a way to get Vista to see another hard drive that is not associated with the OS. There is some times when your new hdd doesn't seem to want to work well with Vista. But, there is a solution in it.

Open the Computer Management By doing these steps.
    • Click on the Start Button
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Click Administrative Tools
    • Double click on Computer Management
    You are now in the Navigation panel of the Computer Management.
    When in Computer Management, you then have to allow the new drive to be recognized.
    • Double click on Storage
    • Double click on Disk Management
    Now in the middle of your screen there is the layout of the Disk Drives that you have. The drives that are partitioned will show by the drive lettering. The others will just show up as having nothing at all in them. Below that there will be the Disk drives that are installed into the computer. You'll see that the primary one will all ways read as "Disk 0". Then you will have Disk 1 and so on. Under the Disks there will also see your CD-Rom drives.. If there is more then one, it will be labeled the same as Disk drives..

On to the Partitioning of the drive in question.
    • Right Click on the drive
    • Click to format the drive or Enable Volume. There will be a series of windows that open up. This is Vista's formatting. Just go threw the windows, and make sure everything is the way you want it to happen.
    • Once the formatting is done, will take some time depending on the drive size.
    • Right click on the drive
    • Click on Mark the Partition as Active
    After you have done those steps, The drive will be up and running threw Vista.

:Side Notes:
    If you are not the Administer to the Os, then you will have to enable it..
    You may also want to redo the drive lettering of it all. But, I really don't see a reason to do so. If you do, you have to redo drive paths and so forth.. A lot of work on something so small...

Cold Storm, Sep 18, 2019
  3. little cat, Sep 18, 2019
  4. Moving Hard Drive to Another Computer and Activating Windows

exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Sep 18, 2019
Thema:

Moving Hard Drive to Another Computer and Activating Windows

1. Moving Hard Drive to Another Computer and Activating Windows - Similar Threads - Moving Hard Drive

2. Moving Hard Drive with Windows 10 OEM to Another Computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Hard Drive with Windows 10 OEM to Another Computer: Hello, I have a tower computer HPZ400 with Windows 10 Pro OEM installed on an SSD hard drive. I want to move this hard drive to a new machine and use it as my main operating system hard drive and as the only hard drive in the new machine.The two machines have different...
  3. Moving Hard Drive with Windows 10 OEM to Another Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Hard Drive with Windows 10 OEM to Another Computer: Hello, I have a tower computer HPZ400 with Windows 10 Pro OEM installed on an SSD hard drive. I want to move this hard drive to a new machine and use it as my main operating system hard drive and as the only hard drive in the new machine.The two machines have different...
  4. Moving Hard Drive with Windows 10 OEM to Another Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Move drive with Windows to another computer

Move drive with Windows to another computer: If I move my SSD, with Windows OS on it, from one PC to another PC, will that other PC boot to windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-drive-with-windows-to-another-computer/ad052ecc-db9a-476c-be30-1d7808545802
  6. Move drive with Windows to another computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Move drive with Windows to another computer: If I move my SSD, with Windows OS on it, from one PC to another PC, will that other PC boot to windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-drive-with-windows-to-another-computer/ad052ecc-db9a-476c-be30-1d7808545802
  7. Moving Windows to another hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Windows to another hard drive: i have my laptod with Windows 10 Pro 21H1 on Sata Drive 1TB. Now i have added an SSD 250GB Hard with it for faster processing. I want to move my complete OS to new SSD without loosing my softwares and file. What should i do. I will keep using the old drive as extension drive...
  8. Moving Windows to another hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows to another hard drive: i have my laptod with Windows 10 Pro 21H1 on Sata Drive 1TB. Now i have added an SSD 250GB Hard with it for faster processing. I want to move my complete OS to new SSD without loosing my softwares and file. What should i do. I will keep using the old drive as extension drive...
  9. Moving Windows to another hard drive

10. Move hard drive to another machine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move hard drive to another machine: I have a failed Dell 5755 laptop. I got a replacement. Same type machine. I would like to move the internal hard drive to the other machine. Since this other machine has the same hardware as the failed machine would there be any issues in doing so? I have the COA and...