Windows 10: Moving Hard drive to new Laptop With Clean Install

Discus and support Moving Hard drive to new Laptop With Clean Install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Good afternoon, all. I understand I can't move a HD from one computer to another. I plan on doing a clean install of Windows 10. My question is,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by flightmedic, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Moving Hard drive to new Laptop With Clean Install

Good afternoon, all.

I understand I can't move a HD from one computer to another. I plan on doing a clean install of Windows 10.

My question is, after I move the hard drive to the new laptop and do the clean install via USB, will there be the Windows.old folder? Or should I back up my files to an external HD.

Thank you.

Jim

:)

flightmedic, Mar 31, 2019

2. Laptop hard drive upgrade

To replace a hard drive on a laptop is a little more troublesome than a desktop. 1st as most people here suggest you will need some sort of a backup disk just in case. Also be sure when buying the new Hard Disk is compatible with your model. And i would strongly suggest you install a new system and start from scratch because there are far too many problems that can occur when transferring system files.

scoutingwraith, Mar 31, 2019
  3. Laptop hard drive upgrade

If you ghost the OS from disk to disk with the same system it should work fine. Thing is you have to GHOST the disk, including the MBR or it won't be bootable. Any other normal laptop drive should work as long as the connections the same.

If you cannot make a backup install CD, you'll likely need to locate a windows install CD, unless you can ghost the drive. Thats pretty much your only options atm.

Dippyskoodlez, Mar 31, 2019
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Moving Hard drive to new Laptop With Clean Install

Cleaning off a Mac Laptop

cleaning it?

Step 1: buy about a half gallon of gasoline.

Step 2: douse laptop in gasoline.

Step 3: toss a burning match onto laptop.

Step 4: watch the fire clense your laptop.

Thema:

Moving Hard drive to new Laptop With Clean Install

1. Moving Hard drive to new Laptop With Clean Install - Similar Threads - Moving Hard drive

2. Moving windows to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving windows to a new hard drive: I've bought a new ssd hard drive, and would like to move window and everything else from my old hard drive to my new one. I have a windows 10 cd but don't want to wait for all the updates to be loaded from windows 11....
  3. Moving windows to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving windows to a new hard drive: I've bought a new ssd hard drive, and would like to move window and everything else from my old hard drive to my new one. I have a windows 10 cd but don't want to wait for all the updates to be loaded from windows 11....
  4. Move installed programs to a new clean installed drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move installed programs to a new clean installed drive.: Win 10 pro 2004 Till now, I never heard that it is possible to transfer installed programs from one drive / installation to another drive that had a clean install. dalchina say it is possible. You can't move installed programs to a new installation (clean install) - yes...
  5. Windows 10 clean install on a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 clean install on a new hard drive: I dropped my laptop which has smashed my HDD. Ordered a replacement HDD but unfortunately I do not have a back up USB. What are my options for installing windows 10 from new onto the new hard drive? Laptop sony vaio will boot up in BIOS. Any advice would be very welcome....
  6. Clean install to new drive

Clean install to new drive: I have been having trouble getting a clear result through searching. I want to reinstall/move the Windows 10 OS onto a new drive an SSD from where it currently resides on a HDD. What I can't seem to figure out is if a straight up clean install, setting the new drive as its...
  7. Installing a new hard drive

Installing a new hard drive: I have a hard drive failure, I have installed a new 1t hard drive and need to reinstall my OS. The computer did not come with install disks. it is a Toshiba C50 series How is this accomplished?...
  8. Moving to a New Hard drive

Moving to a New Hard drive: So recently my old hard drive died. I cannot go to boot or anything so I have purchased a new hard drive I'm unable to get to my operating system on my old drive since it is entirely dead I still have Windows 10 connected to my account so, how do I get my account in Windows...
  9. moving hard drive to a differant laptop

moving hard drive to a differant laptop: Dog knocked over my laptop and now it doesn't work. Removed the hard deive and bought a used laptop as the broken one. what do I need to due to get the hard drive to run in the new laptop 85006
  10. Clean install on a new 250gb hard drive/

Clean install on a new 250gb hard drive/: I previously used windows xp and just went and bought a new hard drive and windows 10 usb. Im confused. I installed the hard drive along with my old master drive, using it as slave i presume. Will it auto partition the new hard drive 40591