Windows 10: Moving hard drive to new upgraded hardware???

Discus and support Moving hard drive to new upgraded hardware??? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am helping my friend, who’s motherboard has died. What do I have to do to move his hard drive w/ Windows 10 Pro 1909 v18363.815, to a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MarvinAxsom Jr, May 18, 2020.

1. Moving hard drive to new upgraded hardware???

I am helping my friend, who’s motherboard has died.

What do I have to do to move his hard drive w/ Windows 10 Pro 1909 v18363.815, to a new motherboard & processer?

The core is from: Intel i5 4690 to i7 9700

Can I use his current installed windows in new hardware???

:)

MarvinAxsom Jr, May 18, 2020

2. Unable to access the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Alan,

As you are facing issues with accessing the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your devices?
    • What exactly happens when you try to access the drive?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Were you able to detect the device under Device Manager/ File Explorer?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to check if there are any drivers with yellow exclamatory mark in the Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager
    • Right click on the detected driver, click on Properties
      and check the device status.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, May 23, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, May 23, 2020
  4. Moving hard drive to new upgraded hardware???

exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Moving hard drive to new upgraded hardware???

1. Moving hard drive to new upgraded hardware??? - Similar Threads - Moving hard drive

2. Moving windows to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving windows to a new hard drive: I've bought a new ssd hard drive, and would like to move window and everything else from my old hard drive to my new one. I have a windows 10 cd but don't want to wait for all the updates to be loaded from windows 11....
  3. Moving windows to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving windows to a new hard drive: I've bought a new ssd hard drive, and would like to move window and everything else from my old hard drive to my new one. I have a windows 10 cd but don't want to wait for all the updates to be loaded from windows 11....
  4. Hard drive move

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard drive move: Haven't seen this question yet. I have an Intel NUC-7. A lightning strike killed this computer and every electronic device in my office. I desire to replace the NUC-7 with a NUC-10 barebones. The 500GB SSD, spinning 2TB HD and the 32GB RAM may have survived. I can move these...
  5. Moving OS drive to new hardware question

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving OS drive to new hardware question: Hello everyone. I was wondering if It was possible to move my SSD (boot drive) onto new hardware. I'm upgrading my pc a bit, one of the things being the motherboard. I really don't want to purchase windows if I don't have to, so i'm wondering if it can be moved properly....
  6. Hardware change new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hardware change new hard drive: The laptop HP pavilion bought in 2017 I have as my device had a complete hard drive failure last night - the BIOS can't find any drive. I plan on replacing the drive, but will my Windows 10 need to be purchased again? Will I need a copy on a disc since I won't be able to...
  7. BSOD - Hardware Issue? new Memory or new Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - Hardware Issue? new Memory or new Hard Drive?: Hoping to get some help troubleshooting a BSOD/Shutdown that just occurred. I added two sticks of RAM about 10 days ago to my XPS 8700 and had no problems at all afterward. So yesterday I added a third hard drive and all seemed ok. I was in the process of copying up a...
  8. Move my hard drive to a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move my hard drive to a new computer: Hi My old Samsung laptop has a smashed screen, so I have bought myself a second hand HP laptop. Both laptops have Windows 10 but when I tried to take the hard drive from the Samsung and put it in the HP, I received an error. How can I use my Samsung hard drive and put it...
  9. Moving to a New Hard drive

Moving to a New Hard drive: So recently my old hard drive died. I cannot go to boot or anything so I have purchased a new hard drive I'm unable to get to my operating system on my old drive since it is entirely dead I still have Windows 10 connected to my account so, how do I get my account in Windows...
  10. Upgrading my hardware wanting to move hard drives

Upgrading my hardware wanting to move hard drives: Hi guys, I am upgrading my computer i.e. CPU, GPU, MB, PSU and RAM and I want to take my two SSD's and HDD over into the new build. One of my SSD's contains windows 10 which was a free upgrade from windows 7 which I bought when I first built my computer. How would I go...