Windows 10: Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer

Discus and support Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro Retail. I deliberately paid the extra bucks for the ability to move the license between motherboards.I have an aging i7-7700 and am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Roger_00x00x0111xb, May 25, 2022.

1. Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer

Windows 10 Pro Retail. I deliberately paid the extra bucks for the ability to move the license between motherboards.I have an aging i7-7700 and am looking to upgrade to an i3-10500 "cross grade" is a better performance description, but I digress.New motherboard, new chips, different hardware entirely.Both show as supported by Windows 10.In the past I've moved hard drives between motherboards without a reinstall. They worked fine.Shouldn't Windows just redetect my hardware and install appropriate drivers when I make such a move?I've worked in IT and seen this with older OS's, but not tried

:)

Roger_00x00x0111xb, May 25, 2022
  2. Mussels Win User

how do i move hard drive to new computer?

intel to intel you have a shot.

Install the latest intel chipset drivers and it may just work transferring it over - the key is to have teh new sata controllers drivers installed BEFORE moving it over (i normally transfer to a PCI-E SATA-II card i have, then boot the new system on the PCI-E card, install the onboard drivers, and then move to the onboard sata.)

for clarification on my steps.

1. install new SATA card/controller in original PC and install drivers
    2. power off, move boot drive to the sata card
    3. boot windows to make sure it works
    4. get new system up, move sata card to it with boot drive attached.
    5. boot windows - a few reboots are always needed to get around the change of hardware
    6. move the boot drive to the new mobos sata ports, and it should work.

Mussels, May 25, 2022
  3. keakar Win User
    how do i move hard drive to new computer?

i dont have a sata card and i also dont have any idea how to use one or what its for. *Confused Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer :confused:

keakar, May 25, 2022
  4. lonewolf Win User

Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer

Transferring old Hard Drive to New Computer. Is it possible?

Windows 10 is still a free upgrade if your on win 8 or 7 and yes if its a sata drive you can move the Hard drive over to a new computer but the operating system will not work.

lonewolf, May 25, 2022
Thema:

Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer

1. Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer - Similar Threads - Moving hard drive

2. Moving windows to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving windows to a new hard drive: I've bought a new ssd hard drive, and would like to move window and everything else from my old hard drive to my new one. I have a windows 10 cd but don't want to wait for all the updates to be loaded from windows 11....
  3. Moving windows to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving windows to a new hard drive: I've bought a new ssd hard drive, and would like to move window and everything else from my old hard drive to my new one. I have a windows 10 cd but don't want to wait for all the updates to be loaded from windows 11....
  4. Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer: Windows 10 Pro Retail. I deliberately paid the extra bucks for the ability to move the license between motherboards.I have an aging i7-7700 and am looking to upgrade to an i3-10500 "cross grade" is a better performance description, but I digress.New motherboard, new chips,...
  5. Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving hard drive with Windows Retail 10 installed to a new computer: Windows 10 Pro Retail. I deliberately paid the extra bucks for the ability to move the license between motherboards.I have an aging i7-7700 and am looking to upgrade to an i3-10500 "cross grade" is a better performance description, but I digress.New motherboard, new chips,...
  6. Move my hard drive to a new computer

Move my hard drive to a new computer: Hi My old Samsung laptop has a smashed screen, so I have bought myself a second hand HP laptop. Both laptops have Windows 10 but when I tried to take the hard drive from the Samsung and put it in the HP, I received an error. How can I use my Samsung hard drive and put it...
  7. Moving Hard drive to new Laptop With Clean Install

Moving Hard drive to new Laptop With Clean Install: Good afternoon, all. I understand I can't move a HD from one computer to another. I plan on doing a clean install of Windows 10. My question is, after I move the hard drive to the new laptop and do the clean install via USB, will there be the Windows.old folder? Or should I...
  8. Moving to a New Hard drive

Moving to a New Hard drive: So recently my old hard drive died. I cannot go to boot or anything so I have purchased a new hard drive I'm unable to get to my operating system on my old drive since it is entirely dead I still have Windows 10 connected to my account so, how do I get my account in Windows...
  9. Move old hard drive to new computer with windows 10

Move old hard drive to new computer with windows 10: My old computer with windows 10 installed with a 1tb SSD the old computer has failed but the hard dive is still working, my question is how do I install the old SSD hard drive with windows10 installed on it to my new computer? The new computer is almost the same as the old...
  10. Installing a old hard drive with windows 10 on it to a new computer

Installing a old hard drive with windows 10 on it to a new computer: Hey everyone, So this weekend I will be building my first PC by myself after my old computer died. On my old computer I had Windows 10 installed on a M.2.. I'm wondering if its possible to just take that M.2 and put it in my new PC and have Windows 10 just transfer over?...