Windows 10: Moving Icons on Dual Monitors

Discus and support Moving Icons on Dual Monitors in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On my dual monitor system there are shortcut icons that will move themselves to the 2nd monitor (HDMI connection). I don't use the 2nd full time so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chuckp, Nov 1, 2018.

1. chuckp Win User

Moving Icons on Dual Monitors

On my dual monitor system there are shortcut icons that will move themselves to the 2nd monitor (HDMI connection). I don't use the 2nd full time so I would like them to stay on the 1st. To move them back I have to turn on the other monitor and drag them back. If I unplug the 2nd they will return to the 1st and even in sorted order but when I reconnect they will jump back. It's not always the same icons that jump.

:)

chuckp, Nov 1, 2018
  2. qubit Win User

Desktop Icon Keeps On Moving

That's because your resolution is changing each time. To test, try setting to 1024x768, arrange a couple of icons and then restart the PC. As long as the resolution after startup is still 1024x768, then the icons won't move. Trust me. *Wink Moving Icons on Dual Monitors ;)

qubit, Nov 1, 2018
  3. techguy31 Win User
    Desktop Icon Keeps On Moving

I see. I was using a 23" monitor before and the highest resolution was below 1080p so I guess windows remembers that monitors resolution right? I have tried de.das.dude suggestion, but everytime I turn off the computer after arranging the icons it goes back to misarranging the icons.

techguy31, Nov 1, 2018
  4. Moving Icons on Dual Monitors

Icons move to the left on a 4K monitor

Hi Dirk,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with . I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is display settings or icon settings.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• What is the make and model of the computer?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to change auto arrange icon settings and also update display adapter driver in the Device Manager. Check if it helps.

Step 1: I recommend you to change auto arrange icon settings.

1. Right click on Desktop screen.

2. Then click on View.

3. Uncheck mark on Auto arrange icons.

Step 2: I suggest you to update the latest driver for display adapter in the Device Manager.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Then type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes and hit on
    Enter Key.

3. Expand Display Adapter.

4. Right click on the driver and click on Update Driver Software.

5. Follow the instruction to update the driver.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using monitor and change in desktop icon settings, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Nov 1, 2018
Thema:

Moving Icons on Dual Monitors

1. Moving Icons on Dual Monitors - Similar Threads - Moving Icons Dual

2. Desktop Icons keep rearranging on dual monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons keep rearranging on dual monitors: Everytime I open my computer the desktop icons just distribute themselves on both monitor like they please. But when I unplug my second monitor they go back to the way I placed them on my first monitor. When I plug back my other monitor, it goes back to spreading across both...
  3. Windows 10 Dual Monitor Icons Secondary Monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Dual Monitor Icons Secondary Monitor: I am using windows 10 and dual monitors. How can I have all system icons e.g., clock, notification center, etc on my secondary monitor? It used to be possible but now I can't choose where to have the icons or move them manually....
  4. Windows 10 Dual Monitor Icons Secondary Monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Dual Monitor Icons Secondary Monitor: I am using windows 10 and dual monitors. How can I have all system icons e.g., clock, notification center, etc on my secondary monitor? It used to be possible but now I can't choose where to have the icons or move them manually....
  5. Windows 10 Dual Monitor Icons Secondary Monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. desktop icons move to second monitor

desktop icons move to second monitor: Having used a small monitor as a second display for years, I bought a new larger one. Now, every time I try to use 'extend' display all the carefully arranged desktop icons move to totally irrational places on the second screen. It is clear this bug has been around for...
  7. dual monitor icons

dual monitor icons: I have been using a dual monitor set up for some time now. I did a restart after a windows update and now all the icons except two are shown only on one monitor. Before all the icons showed on both monitors. I can still click on and they open on the main monitor which is now...
  8. icons moved to second monitor

icons moved to second monitor: overnight the icons of my desktop have moved to to my external monitor that is set as extended . How could I move them back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-moved-to-second-monitor/586f72c2-8aa9-49c8-96e6-d307adad9131
  9. Icons move from 2nd monitor to main after reboot of dual monitors in extended mode

Icons move from 2nd monitor to main after reboot of dual monitors in extended mode: I have dual monitors set up in extended mode. I like to keep Skype for Business and Sticky Notes open on my second monitor while keeping most of my shortcuts on my main monitor. However, when I start up each day, all the Sticky Notes have moved to my main menu. This started...
  10. DUal monitor / close lid / desktop moves

in Windows 10 Support
    DUal monitor / close lid / desktop moves: Hello Notebook with external monitor. Active Desktop is on embedded monitor. Close lid, desktop jumpes to external monitor. How to stop that bad behavior? Power Options: When I close the lid: Do Nothing. That's a blatant lie. It does something. I moves the desktop to the...