Windows 10: Moving Icons on Dual Monitors

Discus and support Moving Icons on Dual Monitors in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On my dual monitor system there are shortcut icons that will move themselves to the 2nd monitor (HDMI connection). I don't use the 2nd full time so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chuckp, Nov 1, 2018.

1. chuckp Win User

Moving Icons on Dual Monitors

On my dual monitor system there are shortcut icons that will move themselves to the 2nd monitor (HDMI connection). I don't use the 2nd full time so I would like them to stay on the 1st. To move them back I have to turn on the other monitor and drag them back. If I unplug the 2nd they will return to the 1st and even in sorted order but when I reconnect they will jump back. It's not always the same icons that jump.

:)

chuckp, Nov 1, 2018
  2. qubit Win User

Desktop Icon Keeps On Moving

That's because your resolution is changing each time. To test, try setting to 1024x768, arrange a couple of icons and then restart the PC. As long as the resolution after startup is still 1024x768, then the icons won't move. Trust me. *Wink Moving Icons on Dual Monitors ;)

qubit, Nov 1, 2018
  3. techguy31 Win User
    Desktop Icon Keeps On Moving

I see. I was using a 23" monitor before and the highest resolution was below 1080p so I guess windows remembers that monitors resolution right? I have tried de.das.dude suggestion, but everytime I turn off the computer after arranging the icons it goes back to misarranging the icons.

techguy31, Nov 1, 2018
  4. Nyima Yonten Win User

Icons move to the left on a 4K monitor

Hi Dirk,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with . I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is display settings or icon settings.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• What is the make and model of the computer?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to change auto arrange icon settings and also update display adapter driver in the Device Manager. Check if it helps.

Step 1: I recommend you to change auto arrange icon settings.

1. Right click on Desktop screen.

2. Then click on View.

3. Uncheck mark on Auto arrange icons.

Step 2: I suggest you to update the latest driver for display adapter in the Device Manager.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Then type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes and hit on
    Enter Key.

3. Expand Display Adapter.

4. Right click on the driver and click on Update Driver Software.

5. Follow the instruction to update the driver.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using monitor and change in desktop icon settings, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Nov 1, 2018
Thema:

1. Moving Icons on Dual Monitors - Similar Threads - Moving Icons Dual

2. dual monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dual monitors: I have Dell Inspiron 3059 all in one..Trying to connect a brand new Dell S2319NX to use for 2nd display through HDMI...its's working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-monitors/447cc414-259e-4218-871e-42220c07ffee
  3. dual monitors

dual monitors: for a couple of years I have run a dual monitor set up in windows 10 on my dell inspiron. after a visiting relative plugged in her lap top to do some work at my house the next time I booted up the 2cnd monitor is not recognized. I have uninstalled the graphics card and...
  4. Dual Monitors

Dual Monitors: I have a Dell 8900 and want to hook up new monitors using the HDMI Port and the DP port. Will it work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/dual-monitors/ce136aab-628a-4fba-bad7-c70b481412b5
  5. Dual Monitor Setup?

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual Monitor Setup?: I have a dell xps 9550 laptop that i connect to an external monitor as my primary monitor. Its syncmaster t240 hd and its 24' and 1920 x 1200 resolution. I have an old asus 24' monitor that a while back no longer worked... it stopped working and i brought it to a few repair...
  6. Desktop icons moving to monitor 2

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons moving to monitor 2: Is there a known solution for this problem? (Icons moved to the 2nd display after some windows update nearly a year ago - still haven't seen any real fix:-(...)...
  7. Dual Monitor issue

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual Monitor issue: Ok. Have always run at least dual monitors on all my systems. Had no problem with the Dell Monitor(VGA) I gave my buddy for his lappie. I have the HDMI port, and wanted to use a 19" TV to play WoW on of course...lol Hooks up fine, have no trouble spanning the desktop...
  8. Dual Monitors

Dual Monitors: Hi All Setup Montitor 1: Dell UltraSharp U2718Q UltraHD 4k Montitor 2: Benq BL2711U 4k GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 970 4GB Dell: 60Hz Benq: 30Hz The issue is mainly in Adobe Lightroom. but have had display issues in Bluebeam Revu and Photoshop The Map & Web...
  9. Screen save w/dual monitors: apps all move to LH monitor on resume

Screen save w/dual monitors: apps all move to LH monitor on resume: Running Win10 AU x64 with dual monitors connected to an nVidia Quadro K2200 video card running the latest 369.09 nVidia driver. My desktop extends across the two monitors and I'm using the standard Windows 10 blank screen save after 10 minutes of inactivity. Both monitors...
  10. Dual Monitors, unplug and plug back in, icons shift to 2nd monitor

Dual Monitors, unplug and plug back in, icons shift to 2nd monitor: I am having a rather large issue with Windows 10. For some reason when I plug in my HDMI for my 2nd monitor all of the icons and the taskbar immediately shift to that monitor. This is because I have it set as the "primary" monitor, but I want the taskbar and icons to stay...