Windows 10: Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive

Discus and support Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently invested in a 256GB SSD to replace my old mechanical 1TB HDD. The SSD is obviously much smaller than my old HDD, so a while ago (in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BillyNoMates, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive

I recently invested in a 256GB SSD to replace my old mechanical 1TB HDD. The SSD is obviously much smaller than my old HDD, so a while ago (in anticipation of this upgrade) I split my C: drive in to two (a C:\ and an S:\ drive), and symlinked a load of programs/games/etc., off to the S:\ drive.

Great! More space, and ready to upgrade to an SSD.

As time rolled on, I started installing most programs directly to the S:\ partition via their .msi/.exe file... I now realise that that was a mistake for a lot of programs. I actually want them installed to my C: drive. The original applications that were installed to my C: drive, and I symlinked off, I can just delete the link, replace the program folder, and it'll work as expected. The programs I've actually installed to the S: drive though, I can't work out a way to easily move them to the C: drive.

Does anyone have any idea? Is there some technique to move installed programs when symlinks aren't appropriate, without hacking the registry to shreds (which will only result in errors)?

:)

BillyNoMates, Sep 9, 2019
  2. JanaDyck Win User

move files from my C drive to an external hard drive.

what steps do I take to move files from my C drive to an external hard drive. My C drive is almost full.

JanaDyck, Sep 9, 2019
  3. Nick Dich Win User
    full c drive.

Hi,

To answer your question, we cannot tell what applications or programs you can move to other drives. Besides, it is always recommended to have the programs be on their default save drive, which is Drive C. To further assist you with your concern regarding
    your drive getting full, we suggest you to visit the link provided and follow the steps that you have not tried yet:

Free up drive space in Windows 10

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Nick Dich, Sep 9, 2019
  4. KTR
    ktr Win User

Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive

Can not extend C drive.

You will have to move E: drive first. So expand E: drive to take that 10gb of space, then shrink it from the left...so that you can expand C: drive.

You cannot have C:---E:---C:
    It must be C:---E:

Thema:

Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive

1. Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive - Similar Threads - Moving installed programs

2. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files: I have a desktop HP computer tha has a C: drive SSD of 237 GB . Windows 10 is loaded there and by default all Program File and Program Data. The other drive D: is a Hard drive with 931 GB. C: is almost full. How do I move all the Program Files etc to D: and only leave C: only...
  3. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files: I have a desktop HP computer tha has a C: drive SSD of 237 GB . Windows 10 is loaded there and by default all Program File and Program Data. The other drive D: is a Hard drive with 931 GB. C: is almost full. How do I move all the Program Files etc to D: and only leave C: only...
  4. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Move C Drive to SSD from hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move C Drive to SSD from hard drive: 21H1 Built 19043.1110 I have a Dell Inspiron 3580 that comes with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB Toshiba hard drive. After trying to install a duel boot with Win 10 Pro and Linux I see in Disk Management that Windows (C:) is on the 1 TB drive. I can only boot into Win 10 and every...
  6. Moving app from C: drive to D: drive

Moving app from C: drive to D: drive: How do I move an app to a different internal drive? I'm aware of the move tool in the apps and features settings but it is greyed out and unavailable with no explanation as to why. I'd rather move the application without uninstalling and reinstalling it as it is a large file...
  7. Files moved from C: drive to external drive

Files moved from C: drive to external drive: H! My 13-year-old decided to make space on the computer by dragging files from the c: drive to an external drive. Now all the file paths are messed up. I don't know what he moved from where exactly and I don't want to just drag things back and make things worse. We are not...
  8. Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive: I recently invested in a 256GB SSD to replace my old mechanical 1TB HDD. The SSD is obviously much smaller than my old HDD, so a while ago (in anticipation of this upgrade) I split my C: drive in to two (a C:\ and an S:\ drive), and symlinked a load of programs/games/etc.,...
  9. Moving 'System' Drive from C to D Drive

Moving 'System' Drive from C to D Drive: Because my C drive has limited space, Ive been trying to change all settings of storage to my D drive. However, whenever trying to install a new program, it tries to be downloaded on the C drive still as the program requires to be downloaded on the 'system drive'. I also...
  10. How to move a program files folder from C drive to another drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to move a program files folder from C drive to another drive: Hello Peepz My first post so hello to all. I have a windows 10 pc (x64) hence me joining the community ;-) I have a samsung 850 evo 250GB SSD ( C Drive ) & a Seagate FireCuda SSHD 1TB ( D drive ) I'm in a predicament where my kids play a lot of games on the PC, Fortnite being...