Windows 10: Moving installed Win 10 to different computer?

Discus and support Moving installed Win 10 to different computer? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have two computers that both got free upgrades from 7 Ultimate to 10 Pro. Would it work to swap the hard drive from one to the other, then update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Galane, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Galane Win User

Moving installed Win 10 to different computer?

I have two computers that both got free upgrades from 7 Ultimate to 10 Pro.

Would it work to swap the hard drive from one to the other, then update drivers as needed? I've done that countless times with Windows 3.0 through XP. Haven't tried it with Vista and later. People usually just tell me to wipe it all and do a clean install, and don't have a ton of files to save so those usually fit on a small USB stick.

Wondering if the activation will adapt since both were already registered with Win 10.

Why I'm wanting to try this is I just wasted a ton of time with PC Mover failing to copy the user account with its Desktop, Start Menu and all files under it, downloads, pictures etc. despite making sure that all the correct options were selected.
    It did copy over everything outside the program files, windows and other standard folders. The moving file is over 87 gigs but it only put about half that onto the newer computer.

I was hoping to simply be able to install all the Visual C++ Redistributables and latest JAVA then have everything work after PC Mover was done. It did on the originating PC going from XP to 7, and the 10 upgrade "just worked" with only one or two small things being incompatible and needing updated.

:)

Galane, Nov 29, 2016

2. Moving Win 10 to a different ssd

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

Andre Da Costa, Nov 29, 2016
  3. JimWynne Win User
    Moving Win 10 to a different ssd

You did what?

JimWynne, Nov 29, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Go ahead and move the hard drive, it will be fine. I've done it.

NavyLCDR, Nov 29, 2016
  5. Galane Win User
    I installed a different motherboard day before yesterday. All seemed fine. Yesterday Win 10 decided to not be activated. So I got on the online chat with a Microsoft person. Fed them an OEM Win 7 Ultimate key and they did remote access and gave me a new Win 10 key to reactivate it.

Galane, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Moving installed Win 10 to different computer? - Similar Threads - Moving installed different

2. Win 11 update moved partitions to different drive!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 update moved partitions to different drive!!!: I had installed a new NVE drive, which I installed with a clean installation.Having done this, I connected my other drives 16TB 4 x HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 Data Drives.A day later, a new W11 build was installed, and where the NVE drive had all the partitions Boot, Recovery x2,...
  3. I can't move Minecraft Windows 10 to a different computer

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I can't move Minecraft Windows 10 to a different computer: 'I got a copy of Minecraft Windows 10 Edition free with my purchase of Minecraft and I installed it on a computer I no longer have access to. I got the game through a code, so it was redeemed on the other computer as well. Now I want to install Windows 10 Edition on my new...
  4. Help: Installing (or moving) Windows 10 to a different drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help: Installing (or moving) Windows 10 to a different drive: Hi everyone; I recently got an SSD for my work laptop and I'm trying to find a guide to move or simply reinstall Windows 10 to this drive because by default it's installed on a mechanical drive. I have created a bootable backup on a USB but I also have my original windows...
  5. move windows10 key to different virtual computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    move windows10 key to different virtual computer: We have an Apple MacBook laptop at home, but my daughter needs to run software that is only available for windows. After talking with some coworkers, we decided to get Parallels for Mac to run Windows 10 on our mac. I logged in as administrator and installed Parallels, then...
  6. I cant move Minecraft Windows 10 to a different computer

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I cant move Minecraft Windows 10 to a different computer: I got a copy of Minecraft Windows 10 Edition free with my purchase of Minecraft and I installed it on a computer I no longer have access to. I got the game through a code, so it was redeemed on the other computer as well. Now I want to install Windows 10 Edition on my new...
  7. Win 10 install on two different drives with same Win key in same computer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 install on two different drives with same Win key in same computer?: I have a Win 10 computer (legal upgrade from Win 7) that gives me terrible problems booting up, re-starting, or shutting down. I would repair the install but I'd lose all/many of my other programs. So what I want to do is have a fresh Windows 10 bare install on a second...
  8. Moving full retail version of Windows 10 to different computer

Moving full retail version of Windows 10 to different computer: 1. I bought a full retail boxed version of Windows 10 Home on USB stick. 2. I installed it onto my Macbook using Parallels software. 3. I now have a new Macbook that can run Windows 10 with Bootcamp, no need for Parallels. 4. How do i deactivate the Windows app on old...
  9. Win 10 Pro file history - different behavior on different computers

Win 10 Pro file history - different behavior on different computers: On my little home network there is one computer designated for backup ("B") and two computers ("R" and "A") with frequently changing data to backup. All computers run Win 10 Pro. I am particularly interested in having Office 365 Outlook pst files backed up. From R, the pst...
  10. Win 10 - Same login - different computers - different mouse settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 - Same login - different computers - different mouse settings: Good afternoon, I have Windows 10 on two computer with the same login profile. On one computer, I have a left handed mouse on it with the buttons switched. On my laptop, it has a normal touch pad. The issue is that my left button on my Desktop is switched so it is back to...