Windows 10: Moving MS Office and data from old Win7 Pro boot drive to new Win10 Ent. install

Discus and support Moving MS Office and data from old Win7 Pro boot drive to new Win10 Ent. install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My old Intel 540S 480GB SSD failed... which was my boot drive with Windows 7 Pro on it. I bought a new 1TB SSD, installed Win 10 Ent. on it, but need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ron-7t7, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Ron-7t7 Win User

Moving MS Office and data from old Win7 Pro boot drive to new Win10 Ent. install

My old Intel 540S 480GB SSD failed... which was my boot drive with Windows 7 Pro on it. I bought a new 1TB SSD, installed Win 10 Ent. on it, but need to move my old MS Office 2007 installation with alllll of my user data from the old drive to the new one.

The old drive has been brought back to life by an Intel firmware update, but I certainly do not trust it anymore! I have copied most of my critical data from it both drives are now in the same PC, but I have many programs that I would so much rather move than re-install.

I can easily switch boot drive selection in BIOS to get Win 7 running again, but since it's all one PC, I can't really do the normal PC to PC transfer that's built into Win 10.

I have other drives in the PC, lots of space to backup the old Intel boot drive if needed, just don't know what method gives the best success rate.

Suggestions?

:)

Ron-7t7, Feb 8, 2020
  2. Rhenn_101 Win User

Win10 clean install on new drive, dual boot w/win7 on old drive. New Win10 drive won't boot

As per subject line above, I did clean install of Win 10 on new drive. Left Win7 on old drive. All went fine; PC boots as long as old drive is present. Boot option screen appears at boot offering choice of Win10 or 7. Works fine. BUT, when I removed old
    drive with Win7, system won't boot from new drive (CMoving MS Office and data from old Win7 Pro boot drive to new Win10 Ent. install :). Apparently Win10 installed boot selection and/or something critical on the OLD drive. The new drive shows the Win10 logo in File Explorer (when old drive is present), and all Win10 files appear to have
    installed correctly on the new disk. But it won't boot by itself - so something is missing. (Yes, I changed the boot sequence order in the bios to look for the new drive.) But bios prompts for a bootable disk, meaning the new C: drive is "not bootable". What
    gives?

Thanks for any help!!!

Rhenn_101, Feb 8, 2020
  3. Visa Guy Win User
    Attempting to create Win7 Pro/Win10 Pro dual-boot machine. Will I be able to?

I have a 4 year old Core i7 hexcore machine, on an Asus MB with 32gb RAM. Due to some legacy programs (ProTools for 1) I do not want to convert completely to Win10 as it will end up costing me a lot of $$ to upgrade programs and move to subscription models
    for them. So, I bought a new WD Blue 1TB SSD, and a copy of Win10 Pro direct from MS, planning to install it on the D: drive and create a machine I can boot into Win10 to use for some things that I will install, but also boot to Win7 to run my legacy programs.

I downloaded the Win10 isntall from MS onto an SD Card with 16gb of space on it. I can boot from this card but 1st I got the error requiring me to change the new drive to a GPT drive from an MBR drive; then it said there was no active partition on the drive.
    Am I just spinning my wheels, and am I going to have to build a new computer to use my Win10 purchased OS? I'm pulling my hair out!

Visa Guy, Feb 8, 2020
  4. Roehrle Win User

Moving MS Office and data from old Win7 Pro boot drive to new Win10 Ent. install

How to boot an old Win7 drive

My old computer died but I was able to read the old drive with my new computer using Win10.
    I would like to be able to boot the old drive using my new computer with Win10 or set up a partition on my new computer to run programs written that uses Office Cal 2003 on the old drive.. I can't get Office 2003 to run on the new Win10. It won't except the Product Key from my Pro Office 2003 Disk.

I did get Win10 to except my Product Key but had to do a reinstall of Win10 and now it won't except the key.. This is the reason of getting the old drive to boot so I can run my old Office 2003 programs. I prefer to be able to run my Office 2003 program on Win10 . I did run them using the Office 365 that came with the new computer but after the month trial was up I wasn't able to go back to Office 2003. Don't know if this is the reason Win10 will not allow me to enter my Key. There may be a program looking for the key from the expired Office 365 ??? I tried a second reinstall thinking I could get rid of a possible program stop but it didn't work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I need the programs I spent many hours writing.

Roehrle, Feb 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Moving MS Office and data from old Win7 Pro boot drive to new Win10 Ent. install - Similar Threads - Moving Office data

2. MS Office 2013 disappeared after upgrade from Win7 to Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MS Office 2013 disappeared after upgrade from Win7 to Win10: Good day, I have upgraded my one laptop from Win7 to Win 10 but my Ms Office 2013 has disappeared. I want to upgrade my other laptop as well but can't let that happen. Regards Francois van der Merwe *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  3. Win7 Pro Old PC --> Win10 Pro clean install new PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win7 Pro Old PC --> Win10 Pro clean install new PC?: Hey, as the title says, I have a valid Win 7 pro license running on my old PC. Can I in any way transfer this to install Win 10 Pro on my new device? Thanks! submitted by /u/0x07C3 [link] [comments]...
  4. Moving from win7/old pc to win10/new pc

Moving from win7/old pc to win10/new pc: I have a newly built pc on which I will install Win 10. My old pc has Win 7 installed. I plan to have the new pc boot UEFI. The old pc is legacy boot (non-UEFI). Q1. Will I be able to just put the old HDDs in the new pc as storage and transfer files (photos, music,...
  5. New install of win10 doesn't recognise older win7 drive for dual boot?

New install of win10 doesn't recognise older win7 drive for dual boot?: Hi Everyone. The time is closing in where Developers/programs like Adobe PS are phasing out older O/S for new versions. I have a great Win7 machine Asus p9x79pro with 32gb ram and 6 hard-drives. In the above event, I thought it would be a good idea to have both Win7 on one...
  6. Move data drive from old computer into new

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move data drive from old computer into new: I am running a 2007 vintage self-built PC with a separate data drive (1tb hdd) and OS/program drive (SSD). I want to move the data hdd into a new computer I've built. Is it just as simple as unplugging/ dismounting from old and installing in new? Any advice is appreciated,...
  7. Moving win10 from old computer to new

Moving win10 from old computer to new: I'm upgrading from and old computer to a new build. Am I able to move the operating system to the new one without buying a brand new windows product key? I will not be using the old one whatsoever (just keeping the hard drives). Originally this was a windows 7 and I got the...
  8. Can I upgrade Win7 Ent to Win10?

Can I upgrade Win7 Ent to Win10?: I have a Win7 Enterprise desktop as well as a Win10 laptop that I rarely ever use. Is there anyway to "tr'fer, or release that key to my desktop? 113632
  9. How to boot an old Win7 drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to boot an old Win7 drive: My old computer died but I was able to read the old drive with my new computer using Win10. I would like to be able to boot the old drive using my new computer with Win10 or set up a partition on my new computer to run programs written that uses Office Cal 2003 on the old...
  10. Install win10 pro on separate drive from win7 pro

Install win10 pro on separate drive from win7 pro: I have a Dell workstation (xeon mpu) with dual 1 TB HDDs... Win 7 pro is installed on one drive, and the other is blank, newly formated... I want to be able to boot off either drive... the win 7 HDD, or off the Win 10 HDD. I realize I may have to deal with BIOS boot sequence...