Windows 10: moving my hard drive into another laptop

Discus and support moving my hard drive into another laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i have a toshiba 64 bit laptop and it is starting to go bad. i have a hp probook 6460b 64 bit that has not hard drive in it. so i took the drive out of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bobpalmer1, Oct 18, 2019.

1. moving my hard drive into another laptop

i have a toshiba 64 bit laptop and it is starting to go bad. i have a hp probook 6460b 64 bit that has not hard drive in it. so i took the drive out of the toshiba and put it into the hp and after it did it's thing telling me some hardware has changed and finally started up everything was working but the chrome browser. it would open but the complete area that was to be the browser was back. edge worked firefox worked but chrome failed. i deleted chrome and reinstalled if from the goggle site and it would open but then if i closed it i had issues again. even after a restart it failed to open. i could see things in the lower left hand corner going on like the browser was getting thing to run but the area was black. it i moved the mouse to the area of the x it closed. or the menu that opened but nothing else.

i installed hp's software tools and it found i needed the bios, got that. but still no chrome browser. so then i found out i needed to migrate the drive? and that i should be using sysprep to do that so that program would do it's thing and get win 10 ready to put into another machine. but i do not have that file on the toshiba or this machine i using to write this with. i did a search online and i can't find that file. so where do i get that file so ican run it on the machine i need to take the hard drive from? or is there another way to do that. i put the drive back in the toshiba and again it did it's thing with drivers and then started up and runs like before. but the machine is still failing.

any ideas may help me get this done. thanks

:)

bobpalmer1, Oct 18, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Oct 18, 2019
  3. Laptop hard drive upgrade

To replace a hard drive on a laptop is a little more troublesome than a desktop. 1st as most people here suggest you will need some sort of a backup disk just in case. Also be sure when buying the new Hard Disk is compatible with your model. And i would strongly suggest you install a new system and start from scratch because there are far too many problems that can occur when transferring system files.

scoutingwraith, Oct 18, 2019
  4. moving my hard drive into another laptop

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Oct 18, 2019
Thema:

moving my hard drive into another laptop

1. moving my hard drive into another laptop - Similar Threads - moving hard drive

2. Moving Windows to another hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Windows to another hard drive: i have my laptod with Windows 10 Pro 21H1 on Sata Drive 1TB. Now i have added an SSD 250GB Hard with it for faster processing. I want to move my complete OS to new SSD without loosing my softwares and file. What should i do. I will keep using the old drive as extension drive...
  3. Moving Windows to another hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows to another hard drive: i have my laptod with Windows 10 Pro 21H1 on Sata Drive 1TB. Now i have added an SSD 250GB Hard with it for faster processing. I want to move my complete OS to new SSD without loosing my softwares and file. What should i do. I will keep using the old drive as extension drive...
  4. Moving Windows to another hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Copy one hard drive "in toto" and move to another hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy one hard drive "in toto" and move to another hard drive: I have purchased a 2 TB Samsung SSD to replace a 2 TB Toshiba HD - it is the system boot drive. What software have you successfully used to move one drive to the other - so that when I power off and remove the Toshiba HD, the system boots from the new 2 TB Samsung SSD???...
  6. Is there anyway to move the "My Documents" folder to another hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there anyway to move the "My Documents" folder to another hard drive: The reason why this is an issue is because my windows drive is almost full and there's no way to change were steam puts saves and world data. So, i need to move the entire folder to my other dtive which has around 556gb left while my c drive has about 19. So, is it even...
  7. Move Hard Drive from One Laptop to Another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move Hard Drive from One Laptop to Another: I have two laptops, both are Dell Inspiron model 5558 with identical hardware configurations. Both are Win 10 version 1903. Due to a hinge issue with the primary machine, I want to move the hard drive from the one with the damaged hinge to the one without the hinge problem....
  8. Moving games from C Drive to another Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving games from C Drive to another Hard Drive: Hello, I am trying to free up space on my C Drive Where Windows 10 Home is installed. How do I move games installed on C Drive to another Hard Drive? I have 2 additional Hard Drives on my PC. How do I do this without buying a program to do it. I want a simple solution to...
  9. Move hard drive to another machine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move hard drive to another machine: I have a failed Dell 5755 laptop. I got a replacement. Same type machine. I would like to move the internal hard drive to the other machine. Since this other machine has the same hardware as the failed machine would there be any issues in doing so? I have the COA and...
  10. moving hard drive to a differant laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    moving hard drive to a differant laptop: Dog knocked over my laptop and now it doesn't work. Removed the hard deive and bought a used laptop as the broken one. what do I need to due to get the hard drive to run in the new laptop 85006