Windows 10: moving my hard drive lost hundreds of files

Discus and support moving my hard drive lost hundreds of files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So my previous computer windows 7 started having OS issues, and wouldn't boot properly. A friend of mine gave me one of their older computers after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TommyFarrens, Feb 4, 2020.

1. moving my hard drive lost hundreds of files

So my previous computer windows 7 started having OS issues, and wouldn't boot properly. A friend of mine gave me one of their older computers after upgrading it to Windows 10. So I moved the old comps hard drives into the new one to back up everything before fixing the issues. However, after moving the hard drive, I found a few hundred pictures were missing. After some digging, I found that the folders had been placed into G:\Users\my user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\Users\my user\Pictures. The big issue is that the pictures aren't there. My family is now missing about 8 years worth of pictures that have not been backed up elsewhere. Please help!

:)

TommyFarrens, Feb 4, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Feb 4, 2020
  3. RolandJS Win User
    Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all

After getting all back in working order, may I offer a safer-way suggestion? Instead of moving folders/files; copy them from source to target one group at a time, or one huge file at a time. If no error, do the next copy on your list. Test one or more AVI or MP4 files to ensure the probability that all is well. Then, delete the now-duplicated folders/files from the source hard-drive. I too have been "burned" now and then by a Move operation that went sour somewhere; the Biggies got copied now, "smallies" can be moved.

RolandJS, Feb 4, 2020
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

moving my hard drive lost hundreds of files

Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all

Also for moving large files/folders, I like to use a file syncing program like FreeFileSync, even if I am just got to move the files once and not keep them synced.

NavyLCDR, Feb 4, 2020
Thema:

moving my hard drive lost hundreds of files

1. moving my hard drive lost hundreds of files - Similar Threads - moving hard drive

2. Can't access hard-drive to move my files safely

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access hard-drive to move my files safely: Yesterday I was able to hook up my hard-drive to an external case so I could transfer the files but I had a "could not move files" error so I repaired the drive and by the time it was done I went to bed. Today I went back and hooked up the hard-drive only for it to tell me...
  3. Can't access hard-drive to move my files safely

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't access hard-drive to move my files safely: Yesterday I was able to hook up my hard-drive to an external case so I could transfer the files but I had a "could not move files" error so I repaired the drive and by the time it was done I went to bed. Today I went back and hooked up the hard-drive only for it to tell me...
  4. Lost hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost hard drives: I have a somewhat complicated set up with two computers, a main and the backup, and a large number of peripherals that are attached to switches to move them between the two computers. The problem I have is on my main computer and concerns three USB external hard drives. They...
  5. Hard drive move

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard drive move: Haven't seen this question yet. I have an Intel NUC-7. A lightning strike killed this computer and every electronic device in my office. I desire to replace the NUC-7 with a NUC-10 barebones. The 500GB SSD, spinning 2TB HD and the 32GB RAM may have survived. I can move these...
  6. Moving a hard drive

Moving a hard drive: I have a windows 7 home (64 bit) desktop and a windows 10 pro (64 bit) ver 1903 desktop. Can I pull the 350gb storage hard drive from the windows 7 pc and install it in the windows 10 pc (both pcs are SATA) without loosing any of the files on the hard drive. Can I just move...
  7. Moving hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving hard drive: I have a windows 10 computer that is having mother board problem and another similar computer that the hard drive crashed. can I switch the good hard drive to the other computer...
  8. Move files to an external hard drive

Move files to an external hard drive: i want to move pictured from my computers hard drive to an external hard drive via a usb port. When I right click and copy and go to past... I cant find the usc hard drive option to past to? thanks...
  9. I lost access to my files on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    I lost access to my files on external hard drive: I am trying to find my old video file stored on external HDD. It is an AMV video that I did long ago....Unfortunately, that file is locked. When I was trying to unlock it, I received an error 0x80071771: The specified file could not be decrypted. This hdd had Windows XP on...
  10. hard drive move

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    hard drive move: I have ask this before and have conflicting reply I have an old working comp gateway gt 5014 pent d 2.80 win 10 with 4 gig ram I woulld like to remove hdrive and put into a hp hpe210f amd phenom ii 945 quad 8 gig of ram not sure if this box was upgrades had win7 but...