Windows 10: Moving my m.2 sad to a USB 3.0 external enclosure to boot

Discus and support Moving my m.2 sad to a USB 3.0 external enclosure to boot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Long story short. I have an older pc that had a m.2 to sata connector. I accidentally broke the adapter and have moved the m.2 ssd to a m.2 USB 3.0... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RoundBox, Oct 10, 2019.

1. RoundBox Win User

Moving my m.2 sad to a USB 3.0 external enclosure to boot

Long story short. I have an older pc that had a m.2 to sata connector. I accidentally broke the adapter and have moved the m.2 ssd to a m.2 USB 3.0 external enclosure to try and boot from that and am not having success. Is this possible? If so how? Don't want to lose my data and don't have access to another pc right now

:)

RoundBox, Oct 10, 2019
  2. bro67 Win User

Can't access drives in external USB 3 enclosures

Find someone who has a computer with Windows 10 to test the device. We cannot contribute anything other then keep repeating the same troubleshooting steps over and over.

bro67, Oct 10, 2019
  3. rivre Win User

Ever since I switched over to my new Windows 10 PC, I haven't been able to access my external USB 3.0 enclosures. They are all 4-disk enclosures by IcyDock (Black Vortex). On my old Windows 7 PC, all I had to do was turn it on and all 4 drives were detected via USB 3. Now on the new PC none of the drives are detected. I checked their site and they don't list any drivers so I don't think that's the problem. Any idea what I can do? I also have a couple older e-SATA external 4-disc enclosures and those are detected fine through my e-SATA card. So it's an issue with the USB 3.0 enclosures. Also, I have a Mediasonic brand 4-disc USB 2.0 enclosure and that works fine - all drives are detected. So it's just the USB 3.0 enclosures by IcyDock that aren't being recognized.

rivre, Oct 10, 2019
  4. mike s Win User

Try another USB 3 device (go to Staples and buy a $9 flash drive). If it does not work, then the drivers for the USB3 port might have to be updated. These might come from the manufacturer of the port, or from the chipset manufacturer (NEC/Renesas, Intel, VIA, etc).

If the flash drive works in USB3 mode, the chances are that the SATA-to-USB bridge controller inside the drive enclosure is incompatible with Windows 10's power management. It is likely that you would run into the same issues with Windows 8.

This would not be a driver issue, but a firmware issue. The microcode in the interface chip of the controller needs reprogramming, and unless the manufacturer of the enclosure recognizes this and seeks to update it from the chip manufacturer (Jmicron, Sunplus, Prolific, Marvell, etc. etc), you're not going to get them to work.

mike s, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Moving my m.2 sad to a USB 3.0 external enclosure to boot - Similar Threads - Moving sad USB

2. Laptop won't boot from external m.2 SSD in enclosure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't boot from external m.2 SSD in enclosure: Hello all,I have a Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH with Windows 11 installed. I recently purchased a WD_Black 1tb SSD to upgrade from the SK Hyinx 256gb that came installed. Western Digital offers Acronis True Image software to clone the drives for free. In the Acronis instructions...
  3. Laptop won't boot from external m.2 SSD in enclosure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop won't boot from external m.2 SSD in enclosure: Hello all,I have a Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH with Windows 11 installed. I recently purchased a WD_Black 1tb SSD to upgrade from the SK Hyinx 256gb that came installed. Western Digital offers Acronis True Image software to clone the drives for free. In the Acronis instructions...
  4. Moving Windows to M.2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving Windows to M.2: Can someone give me a step by step guide to move only Windows from a 2 tb hard drive to a 500 gb M.2 on a desktop. submitted by /u/ripbozo123 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kngcjo/moving_windows_to_m2/
  5. moved my M.2 ssd...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    moved my M.2 ssd...: Hey guys! I was reading on reddit, that you should have your ssd as close to your cpu as possible on your motherboard, so there's less delay from the two talking to one another... and after I did, the ssd won't boot windows anymore, and sends me on the infinite loop of auto...
  6. Moving my m.2 sad to a USB 3.0 external enclosure to boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving my m.2 sad to a USB 3.0 external enclosure to boot: Long story short. I have an older pc that had a m.2 to sata connector. I accidentally broke the adapter and have moved the m.2 ssd to a m.2 USB 3.0 external enclosure to try and boot from that and am not having success. Is this possible? If so how? Don't want to lose my data...
  7. Eluteng Enclosure and Samsung M.2 PM851 not recognised by windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Eluteng Enclosure and Samsung M.2 PM851 not recognised by windows: I recently bought an eluteng M.2 enclosure from Amazon and a Samsung PM851 M.2 SSD from CEx. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MGB9PC5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1...
  8. USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3.: USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3. In a partitioned drive it only shows one partition. With thumb drives it works okay. I posted this last week but I was hit by scammers, that`s why I`m posting again. Thanks in advance....
  9. Can't access drives in external USB 3 enclosures

Can't access drives in external USB 3 enclosures: Ever since I switched over to my new Windows 10 PC, I haven't been able to access my external USB 3.0 enclosures. They are all 4-disk enclosures by IcyDock (Black Vortex). On my old Windows 7 PC, all I had to do was turn it on and all 4 drives were detected via USB 3. Now on...
  10. WD Caviar Green in external enclosure only functional in USB 2 ports

WD Caviar Green in external enclosure only functional in USB 2 ports: Hello all I recently sold my stationary, but decided to keep my internal hard drives and turn them into externals so that I would be able to use them with my laptop for backup and long-term storage. I ended up buying two Raidsonic Icy Box IB-373: IB-373U3 My hard...