Windows 10: Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC

Discus and support Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all,I have a retail version of Win10 on my current 10-year old PC and have located the partial product key and other details found via the command... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ClosetGamer23, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC

Hi all,I have a retail version of Win10 on my current 10-year old PC and have located the partial product key and other details found via the command prompt. I'm ordering a new custom PC and obviously want to transfer my Win10 across. After a quick online search, the deactivation process seems very straightforward. However, I'm a little uncertain about the steps for reactivation on the new PC, which will NOT have an OS when purchased.Is it enough that I have the details above, or do I also need Win10 saved to a USB the new PC won't have a CD/DVD/Optical drive? If so, how do I get this onto t

:)

ClosetGamer23, Jan 15, 2022

2. Transferring Win10 retail to new PC

I plan on buying a retail copy of Win10 before the new year but I also plan to build a new PC before the end of 2020. The copy I'm looking at says retail 1PC and I'm pretty sure it just means one at a time. Just want to be sure that when I build my new
    PC I can still decommission old PC and install on new build.

JRadWilliams, Jan 15, 2022
  3. Can I upgrade OEM Win10 Home to Retail Win10 Pro?

Moving to a new PC that I'm building myself. Currently running Dell OEM Win10 Home. New PC will have Win10 Pro, MSDN (multi-activation or retail keys) version.

My backup software can do a "system transfer" that will allow me to transfer everything (OS and applications) to the new computer.

Should I upgrade from OEM Home to MSDN Pro on the old computer and then transfer everything to the new computer?

Or just install Win10 PRO MSDN on the new computer and use the backup software vendor's application transfer program to move the applications and registry entries.

My goals are:

1. Not have any "dinosaur bones" either from the OS on my SSD from the old OEM Home version on the new PRO version
    2. Not have to reinstall and reconfigure everything (which would take about a week)
    Thanks for any advice I can get...

BobMac1547x, Jan 15, 2022
  4. Phats0 Win User

Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC

upgraded Win7 retail to Win10. HOW do I install this license on NEW HARDWARE?

I've upgraded my PC to WIN10 from Win7 with a retail(non-OEM) license.

What are the steps i need to take to
    install and activate that license on a NEW PC?

Phats0, Jan 15, 2022
Thema:

Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC

1. Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC - Similar Threads - Moving Retail Win10

2. How do I move my retail Windows license from my old PC to my new PC?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I move my retail Windows license from my old PC to my new PC?: I walked into a store in Canada and bought a tiny box with a retail version Windows key in it and installed that on my PC a few years ago. I now bought a new PC and want to move that Windows license from my old PC to my new PC. I have both PCs turned on right now. Both PCs...
  3. Moving from old PC with Win10 to new PC with Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving from old PC with Win10 to new PC with Win11: I bought Windows 10 Home in in 2017 on Microsoft Store. When Windows 11 came around, it told me that my PC doesn't meet the requirements. Finally I have built a new PC and installed Windows 11. I want to deactivate Windows 10 on my old PC and activate Windows 11 to my new...
  4. Moving from old PC with Win10 to new PC with Win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving from old PC with Win10 to new PC with Win11: I bought Windows 10 Home in in 2017 on Microsoft Store. When Windows 11 came around, it told me that my PC doesn't meet the requirements. Finally I have built a new PC and installed Windows 11. I want to deactivate Windows 10 on my old PC and activate Windows 11 to my new...
  5. Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC

Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC: Hi all,I have a retail version of Win10 on my current 10-year old PC and have located the partial product key and other details found via the command prompt. I'm ordering a new custom PC and obviously want to transfer my Win10 across. After a quick online search, the...
  6. Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving my Retail Win10 to a new PC: Hi all,I have a retail version of Win10 on my current 10-year old PC and have located the partial product key and other details found via the command prompt. I'm ordering a new custom PC and obviously want to transfer my Win10 across. After a quick online search, the...
  7. Transferring Win10 retail to new PC

Transferring Win10 retail to new PC: I plan on buying a retail copy of Win10 before the new year but I also plan to build a new PC before the end of 2020. The copy I'm looking at says retail 1PC and I'm pretty sure it just means one at a time. Just want to be sure that when I build my new PC I can still...
  8. Moving from win7/old pc to win10/new pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving from win7/old pc to win10/new pc: I have a newly built pc on which I will install Win 10. My old pc has Win 7 installed. I plan to have the new pc boot UEFI. The old pc is legacy boot (non-UEFI). Q1. Will I be able to just put the old HDDs in the new pc as storage and transfer files (photos, music,...
  9. Retail Win10

Retail Win10: My free upgrade will not work no matter what I try. It always gives me the same message. "........cannot be installed on USB flash drive." Of course, I do not have a drive attached to USB. So, I don't know what is generating this error. If I bite-the-bullet and buy a retail...
  10. Moving Win10 (upgrade Win7 Full Retail Licence) to another PC

Moving Win10 (upgrade Win7 Full Retail Licence) to another PC: Hi I have on my laptop a win10 pro installation that was a fresh install using the win7 pro (retail) key. I have just used ShowKeyPlus and it says that a "Windows 7 OEM marker present in firmware". Is this correct? Does it stop me from moving this licence to a new laptop?...