Windows 10: Moving my SSD from my old laptop to my new one

Discus and support Moving my SSD from my old laptop to my new one in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I currently have a SSD with Windows 10 in my old laptop which I would like to move to a new laptop which has Windows 10 Installed on a PCIe NVME... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by alexmumford2, May 20, 2020.

1. Moving my SSD from my old laptop to my new one

Hi,

I currently have a SSD with Windows 10 in my old laptop which I would like to move to a new laptop which has Windows 10 Installed on a PCIe NVME SSD. I've already checked and there is room in my new laptop to install my old SSD in. Is it possible to do this so that Windows 10 stays on the PCIe SSD as installed but my old SSD is picked up as an extra storage device with all its current data still on it? Much like plugging in a USB stick.

Many thanks

Alex

:)

alexmumford2, May 20, 2020

2. Moving the SSD/HDD (Boot Drive) from the old laptop to the new one - can it boot?

Hi! I just purchased a new laptop and I've been thinking of moving my SSD from the old laptop into the new laptop (Both of them are installed win 10). Given that the drivers installed are all different, Is it possible? Or do I have to uninstall all the
    drivers before moving the SDD? Additionally, will it affect on my licensing? I have a retail licensing, in which I recognized that the license can be migrated into another machine.

Aswari Ari Muhammad, May 20, 2020
  3. New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, May 20, 2020
  4. Moving my SSD from my old laptop to my new one

Move SSD (with windows 10) from old to new desktop

Hello Greg,

I may try your suggestion of moving the SSD and buying a new windows 10 license. I also marked question answered in your first post.

In hindsight, I should have not upgraded to W10 and saved $139. Then built the new PC & bought a new W10 license.

Rajesh

Rajesh_rpv, May 20, 2020
Thema:

Moving my SSD from my old laptop to my new one

1. Moving my SSD from my old laptop to my new one - Similar Threads - Moving SSD old

2. looking to move my OS from a old ssd to a new one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    looking to move my OS from a old ssd to a new one: hey everyone i recently just got a new ssd which is much better then my old ssd i was wondering how i move my windows os to the new drive i had a look online and there all talking about many third party software im not sure how to use anyone could help that would be great my...
  3. looking to move my OS from a old ssd to a new one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    looking to move my OS from a old ssd to a new one: hey everyone i recently just got a new ssd which is much better then my old ssd i was wondering how i move my windows os to the new drive i had a look online and there all talking about many third party software im not sure how to use anyone could help that would be great my...
  4. How to move Windows 10 from my old PC to the new one ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move Windows 10 from my old PC to the new one ?: I want to upgrade to Windows 11 but it says my PC is too old. So if I buy a new PC can I install my Windows 10 by removing it from the old one? And how to do so?By the way, I typed "wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey" in cmd but it showed me no...
  5. How to move Windows 10 from my old PC to the new one ?

How to move Windows 10 from my old PC to the new one ?: I want to upgrade to Windows 11 but it says my PC is too old. So if I buy a new PC can I install my Windows 10 by removing it from the old one? And how to do so?By the way, I typed "wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey" in cmd but it showed me no...
  6. How to move Windows 10 from my old PC to the new one ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. I can't move my Windows license from my old PC to my new one

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I can't move my Windows license from my old PC to my new one: I have checked to see if it's a Retail license using command prompt. I can deactivate and reactivate it on the old PC just fine, but if I deactivate it and try to activate it on the new PC, I just get the invalid product code error0xc004f050. It was originally a Windows 7...
  8. Is it possible to move all my programs to my new computer from my old one?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it possible to move all my programs to my new computer from my old one?: I was under the impression that since almost all programs use the registry it was virtually impossible to move my programs (e.g., Microsoft Office, Norton AV, Google Chrome, Firefox, etc.) from my old Windows 10 computer to my new Windows 10 computer. Yet I see applications...
  9. Copy or move Yahoo Mail Contacts from my old Microsoft 10 laptop, to my new one with the...

Copy or move Yahoo Mail Contacts from my old Microsoft 10 laptop, to my new one with the...: I need to copy or move Yahoo Mail Contacts from my old Microsoft 10 laptop, to my new one with the same features? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-win_people/copy-or-move-yahoo-mail-contacts-from-my-old/cc848033-e45d-4df2-a514-ebf54a592861
  10. i need to move my information from old computer to new one

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i need to move my information from old computer to new one: how to move information to new computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/i-need-to-move-my-information-from-old-computer-to/9d1899c6-bb1f-4827-87ee-7a829c5993af