Windows 10: Moving oem recovery and efi partition t ono my SDD after a fresh install to it?

Discus and support Moving oem recovery and efi partition t ono my SDD after a fresh install to it? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have recently bought a new pc, and the company i bought it from installed windows onto the HDD instead of the SSD. So i rang their support number and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MaxJones6, May 5, 2020.

1. MaxJones6 Win User

Moving oem recovery and efi partition t ono my SDD after a fresh install to it?

I have recently bought a new pc, and the company i bought it from installed windows onto the HDD instead of the SSD. So i rang their support number and they said to download a fresh install onto a usb then install windows from that.

After following their steps i was prompted to choose which build i wanted to choose, booted into my fresh windows install, installed drivers and then backed up and formatted my HDD. i then did a restart and i was prompted to choose a build again.

After booting into windows and opening disk managment i found both the EFI partition and the OEM partition still on my hard drive.

Is this why i keep getting asked which build to choose on startup?

thanks !

:)

MaxJones6, May 5, 2020
  2. trog100 Win User

Move EFI partition

its to enable win 10 to update to its anniversary edition.. it cant do this due to lack of C drive space i have had a quick try with the trial version of easus.. it didnt seem to be able to do what i want..

i am assuming i cant just delete the efi partition but maybe i could.. as yet i havnt even figured out how to get into the bios of the thing.. maybe that should be my next step.. *Smile Moving oem recovery and efi partition t ono my SDD after a fresh install to it? :)

diskpart could probably do it but figuring out how (it aint that user friendly) might be difficult without step by step instructions..

trog

trog100, May 5, 2020
  3. EdisonZnd Win User
    Win10 1909 install on new M.2 SSD - move Recovery (OEM Partition) from beginning to end of drive - move EFI to the front?

I installed a new 2TB M.2 SSD to replace my 1TB SATA SSD as my boot/primary OS drive and did a new Win10 1909 install on it.

It created a 529 MB Recovery (OEM Partition) at the front of the drive followed by the EFI partition and then the Boot/Primary/Win partition. I know the Recovery partition is for the Win RE environment and I also know that major updates make new recovery
    partitions when the prior one runs out of space. I have on occasion deleted these partitions in the past and just made an USB for recovery. But now have plenty of space and I don't mind it on my drive. However, I would like it to be at the end of the drive
    and EFI to be at the beginning of the drive.

What is the easiest way to for me to move the EFI partition to the front of the drive and the start of the primary partition forward next to it?

I would then create a recovery partition at the end of the drive, most likely giving it a couple GB so that it will be a while before new ones are created by large updates.

Can I delete the Recovery partition and create a new 100MB partition at the front of the drive using diskpart and then use bcdboot to make it an EFI partition then delete the old EFI partition?

Not sure how I would move the start of the primary partition to take up the space behind the new EFI partition though.

Once that is done I think I know how to shrink the primary partition and create a new larger recovery partition at the end of the drive.

EdisonZnd, May 5, 2020
  4. Moving oem recovery and efi partition t ono my SDD after a fresh install to it?

Healthy (EFI System Partition) and OEM Healthy Partition)

HI my HDD have 6 partitions,my question is ;one of the partitions is (EFI System Partition) and other is OEM healthy Partition,I don't know what is in it,Iwonder if i can see what is in it?and what hapen if i delete this partition whithout damage my windows
    or my recovery disk

HectorEdenburg, May 5, 2020
Thema:

Moving oem recovery and efi partition t ono my SDD after a fresh install to it?

1. Moving oem recovery and efi partition t ono my SDD after a fresh install to it? - Similar Threads - Moving oem recovery

2. How to move "EFI System Partition"?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to move "EFI System Partition"?: Hi guys, I need to move my m.2 drivedisk 1 in pic above to a different pc but when I did so, it didn't boot. When I installed windows 10 onto disk 1, I'm pretty sure disk 0 was plugged in as well. I suspect that the reason disk 1 won't boot on a different pcwithout disk 0 is...
  3. Moving EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving EFI Partition: Can someone tell me how to move EFI partition from one place to another, its just the example, but my problem is that i have C partition, after that i have EFI partition, and after that i have free space, now i can't resize my C partition coz EFI partition is next one... Win...
  4. Windows 10 fresh install is putting recovery partition in front of EFI and C:/drive partitions.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 fresh install is putting recovery partition in front of EFI and C:/drive partitions.: Several months ago my laptop was destroyed by malware and since then I have learned a lot about upgrading and general repair with Windows based PC's. I could have just replaced the HDD but without knowing what I know now I "bricked" it by locking up the BIOS/UEFI so I could...
  5. Healthy (EFI System Partition) and OEM Healthy Partition)

Healthy (EFI System Partition) and OEM Healthy Partition): HI my HDD have 6 partitions,my question is ;one of the partitions is (EFI System Partition) and other is OEM healthy Partition,I don't know what is in it,Iwonder if i can see what is in it?and what hapen if i delete this partition whithout damage my windows or my recovery...
  6. Help with EFI partition recovery

Help with EFI partition recovery: I was using a disk clone program and for some reason it wiped out the EFI partition on both the source and the target, the machine cannot boot. I downloaded the ISO image, put it on a flash drive, configured BIOS to look at flash and it does not boot off of it. Any other...
  7. Help with EFI partition recovery

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with EFI partition recovery: I was using a disk clone program and for some reason it wiped out the EFI partition on both the source and the target, the machine cannot boot. I downloaded the ISO image, put it on a flash drive, configured BIOS to look at flash and it does not boot off of it. Any other...
  8. Is it possible to move OEM Partition ?

Is it possible to move OEM Partition ?: [ATTACH] Hi all, Above is my new 1TB SSD. I've cloned it from my 500 GB one. My question is, i there any way I can extend my C drive with all that unallocated space without reinstall?...
  9. Moving / recreating EFI partition

Moving / recreating EFI partition: I recently upgraded my laptop with an SSD, moving my older HDD into the optical drive bay. I then installed Windows 10 from a UEFI USB (using the Windows 10 media creation tool), on my SSD (with the HDD also installed). But the problem is the EFI partition is still on my HDD,...
  10. EFI and Recovery partitions.

in Windows 10 Support
    EFI and Recovery partitions.: new hp pavilion laptop, the 2 default partitions besides C: notice they are 100% free space, they both are before C: , however posts I have been reading call for them to be after C: for rebuilding them? -EFI system partition, according to wikipedia this is: "When a...