Windows 10: moving old hdd to new computer

Discus and support moving old hdd to new computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an old computer with a bad motherboard that I am thinking about taking the hdd out of and reinstalling it in a new computer and duel booting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by David820, Aug 1, 2015.

1. David820 Win User

moving old hdd to new computer

I have an old computer with a bad motherboard that I am thinking about taking the hdd out of and reinstalling it in a new computer and duel booting between win7 and win10, my question is "can it be done"?

:)

David820, Aug 1, 2015

2. Moving my Win 10 HDD to a new computer [new Mobo]. What should I expect?

The ability to transfer will depend on what type of Windows 10 license you have.

If its a full retail copy, yes you can.

If its the free upgrade from a retail copy of Windows 7 or 8, yes you can.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM copy of Windows 7 or 8, no you can't.

Learn more:

How to Transfer your Windows 10 License to a New
    Computer

Andre Da Costa, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Moving my Win 10 HDD to a new computer [new Mobo]. What should I expect?

Dear sir ,

thanks for your clear and concise answer. I wish all tech questions were answered like this!

Best regards,

Steve

SteveRussellLRJB, Aug 1, 2015
  4. moving old hdd to new computer

If your plan is to erase the drive and clean install then, yes, it can be done.

But my guess, from the thread title, is what you want to do is move the drive, connect it to the new PC, boot from the drive (with no changes to it), and expect it to work. And in that case, no, it's most likely NOT going to work.

Why?

Because each Windows install has its own drivers and since the hardware on the new PC is likely very different from the hardware on the old PC, the drivers carried over will not work. Best case, it will boot into a desktop, allowing you to replace the drivers. Worst case, it will not boot into a desktop at all -- due to incompatible video drivers.

Mark Phelps, Aug 1, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    It may be possible.

First question: is it a retail license or an OEM one (what you usually get with a PC system purchase)? If it's an SLP OEM one (custom Windows installer reads a code in the PC's BIOS), then it's basically impossible. If it's a generic OEM license, it against the rules, and it probably won't activate.

If it's a legally transferrable license, it's possible that you could swap the HD, Windows would recognize the hardware change, it would work without any additional effort.

Plan B: use Sysprep. That's a command line tool traditionally used to genericize Windows for installation in corporate environments. You use it to save a copy of your OS that has the drivers stripped out. Plug the drive into the new PC, install drivers, and off you go.

Plan C: use a migration utility. Acronis sells a utility that allows you to image a Windows partition, and restore it to different hardware. I've never used it. (It'd also require another drive, USB or other, large enough to hold the image, typically tens of GB or larger.)

Short answer: if you have a legally transferrable Win 7 installation, you may also have installation media for it. (Or, at least a license key. Last I looked, there were legitimate download sources online for the Win 7 installers.)

If you don't, there may be a more convenient way to pirate Win 10. I know nothing about that.

bobkn, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

moving old hdd to new computer

1. moving old hdd to new computer - Similar Threads - moving old hdd

2. Moving operating system to a new SSD on old Machine, but keep old HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving operating system to a new SSD on old Machine, but keep old HDD: Hi all My PC is a 2009 machine, 64 bit with a Phenom II 925 quad processor with a 1TB HD... so very old by PC standards. Instead of buying a new machine I was thinking I would buy a SSD and move the operating system to it as it seems to take an age to boot and use the...
  3. Moving slave HDD to a new computer.

Moving slave HDD to a new computer.: My current desktop has 2 HDDs; a 250GB HDD where WIN10 is installed Master, and a 1TB HDD where games and some files are stored Slave. I am upgrading computers and wish to move the 1TB drive to the new desktop. The new computer has a 500GB HDD with WIN10. I know many games...
  4. moving content from old to new computer

moving content from old to new computer: I have a very old DellOptiplex 360 desktop with windows 10 and am finally getting rid of it. I need to switch all my content over to my new Dell desktop. I forgot how to do this. I need to switch over outlook emails, all documents, all videos, all docs saved directly on my...
  5. Moving storage HDD from old computer to new

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Moving storage HDD from old computer to new: I built a new computer and want to move the storage HDD from the old one to the new one without having to redownload hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes of Microsoft Store games and apps. I was hoping when I logged into the Microsoft Store on the new computer with my old...
  6. Moving storage HDD from old computer to new

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving storage HDD from old computer to new: I built a new computer and want to move the storage HDD from the old one to the new one without having to redownload hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes of Microsoft Store games and apps. I was hoping when I logged into the Microsoft Store on the new computer with my old...
  7. Moving Windows 10 from a hdd to ssd on a new computer

Moving Windows 10 from a hdd to ssd on a new computer: My friend has just bought a brand new computer and has had me install a 2TB ssd to replace the 2TB hdd which was originally installed in the computer. I want to migrate the Windows 10 OS to the new ssd and remove the hdd after this has been done. Can I just copy the files or...
  8. Moving old HDD to new PC with Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving old HDD to new PC with Windows: I have an old computer I wish to move the HDD from to a new computer that is already running Windows 10 on it. I'd like to be able to save all the data on the old HDD and use the Windows 10 installation that already exists on the new computer rather than the old HDD. My...
  9. Move data drive from old computer into new

Move data drive from old computer into new: I am running a 2007 vintage self-built PC with a separate data drive (1tb hdd) and OS/program drive (SSD). I want to move the data hdd into a new computer I've built. Is it just as simple as unplugging/ dismounting from old and installing in new? Any advice is appreciated,...
  10. Moving win10 from old computer to new

Moving win10 from old computer to new: I'm upgrading from and old computer to a new build. Am I able to move the operating system to the new one without buying a brand new windows product key? I will not be using the old one whatsoever (just keeping the hard drives). Originally this was a windows 7 and I got the...