Windows 10: Moving old HDD(win 10 pro 64bit) to newer upgraded laptop with an SSD HDD already installed

Discus and support Moving old HDD(win 10 pro 64bit) to newer upgraded laptop with an SSD HDD already installed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to move the HDD or Data (win 10 pro 64bit) from my old laptop to a new laptop that I have installed an SSD drive in with a Win 10 iso... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RobertSaunders1, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Moving old HDD(win 10 pro 64bit) to newer upgraded laptop with an SSD HDD already installed

I am trying to move the HDD or Data (win 10 pro 64bit) from my old laptop to a new laptop that I have installed an SSD drive in with a Win 10 iso already on it.

Could someone outline the process for me to transfer the data to the new drive but keep the integrity of my data and the win 10 OS

Thank you

Dr Bob

:)

RobertSaunders1, Dec 1, 2018
  2. GSXRRizla Win User

Windows 10 pro HDD exchange

I have an old Dell Latitude E5400 with Win10 pro and all my data plus apps installed on a 1Tb HDD. I have acquired a newer laptop Lenovo T420 with Win 10 pro but it only has a 160Gb HDD.

Is it possible to move the 1Tb HDD to the newer Lenovo without having to re install everything.

I plan on passing the older Dell E5400 on to help someone else, with the smaller 160Gb HDD

Both laptops are Win 10 upgrades and not OEM install.

Many thanks.

GSXRRizla, Dec 1, 2018
  3. tamzeed Win User
    Upgraded to Win10 in old HDD - Now want to do clean install in new SSD

Hi All,

I successfully upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 (both Pro 64-bit) in PC's old HDD. Now I want do a clean install on a brand new SSD. I have a few questions before I buy the SSD.

1. First off, is it possible to do a clean install of Win 10 in the new SSD especially after I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 in the old HDD?

2. If 1 is possible, should I use the Win 10 Media Creation tool to create the ISO
    or just download an untouched Win 10 Pro 64 bit ISO, burn it to a DVD and do a straightforward install?

3. At any point do I need to enter the Win 10 license key or will the new SSD take the license info from the motherboard during the clean install? I have used a Win 10 license key viewing tool to find
    out what it is.

4. What happens to the Win 10 in the old HDD? Does it get deactivated on its own?

5. I only plan to use the SSD and discard the HDD if all is successful.

Thanks!

tamzeed, Dec 1, 2018
  4. HARIGE Win User

Moving old HDD(win 10 pro 64bit) to newer upgraded laptop with an SSD HDD already installed

Laptop HDD with upgraded Win 10 Pro crashed

I have a Dell Laptop which came pre-installed with Windows 7 Pro 64bit. During the free upgrade to Windows 10, I upgraded the OS to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. This is 4 months ago. My HDD has been showing SMART error and I will have to buy a new HDD. I would
    like to install my own copy of WIndows 10 Pro 64 bit on the new HDD. Please advise on how to do it as I only have the disks for Windows 7 that came with laptop and as of today the free upgrade to Windows 10 is no longer available.

HARIGE, Dec 1, 2018
Thema:

Moving old HDD(win 10 pro 64bit) to newer upgraded laptop with an SSD HDD already installed

1. Moving old HDD(win 10 pro 64bit) to newer upgraded laptop with an SSD HDD already installed - Similar Threads - Moving old HDD

2. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD: My PC has a WD 1 T HDD as the primary drive with Win 10 installed. There is also an 2nd older WD HDD for data storage purposes if ever needed - unlikely.I recently bought a new 500 GB SSD drive. I would like to install my WIN 10 on the new SSD using it as the primary drive.To...
  3. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD: My PC has a WD 1 T HDD as the primary drive with Win 10 installed. There is also an 2nd older WD HDD for data storage purposes if ever needed - unlikely.I recently bought a new 500 GB SSD drive. I would like to install my WIN 10 on the new SSD using it as the primary drive.To...
  4. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Upgrade Laptop HDD to SSD

Upgrade Laptop HDD to SSD: I want to replace the slow HDD in my Dell refurb Latitude laptop with an SSD. Win 10 Pro product key is on sticker on bottom of computer. Do I just clone the HDD to SSD or do something else?...
  6. Upgradation of HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgradation of HDD to SSD: I want to upgrade my laptop's hardware configuration. I want to change my HDD to SSD. But If i want a fresh installation of Windows 10 to my new SSD then how I will put my Product key there as it is OEM provided....
  7. Free Upgrade Win 10 installed in HDD to be trasferred to SSD.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Free Upgrade Win 10 installed in HDD to be trasferred to SSD.: Hello, My HDD got corrupted so I upgraded and bought a new SSD. Originally my Operating System is that of Window 7, I then upgraded it to Windows 10 using the free upgrade of windows. I would like to ask if I can still reuse the product key of my original window 7 OS if I...
  8. Laptop with SSD,HDD and W8.1: remove HDD before upgrading ?

Laptop with SSD,HDD and W8.1: remove HDD before upgrading ?: hi, Im runnig a laptop (MSI GT72-2QD, i7, GTX 970M) with an internal SSD (256 GB) and an internal HDD (1TB) . Win 8.1 came preinstalled with this machine. Id like to upgrade the machine to W10 *only* but I do not want to clean instal W10 (not yet). My question: Should i...
  9. upgrade hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Customization
    upgrade hdd to ssd: Good Morning/Evening, I would like to upgrade the hdd of my laptop to ssd. I need all my files and os unchange. May you folks advise me the procedure? thanks beforehand for your help. regards mark...
  10. Upgrade Samsung Laptop HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrade Samsung Laptop HDD to SSD: Evening All, I would like to upgrade this ole Samsung Laptop, with a Samsung 850 EVO SSD, but I'm not sure because of the iSSD P4 8GB (used for Express Cache). I know I won't need it anymore, but is there going to be conflicts/issues ? Specs: Operating System Windows...