Windows 10: Moving OneDrive folders and files to new PO

Discus and support Moving OneDrive folders and files to new PO in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi - I have a laptop with about 68GB of OneDrive sync'd data. I now have a new laptop which I am setting up and it will replace my old laptop.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kentjapan, Jan 11, 2016.

1. kentjapan Win User

Moving OneDrive folders and files to new PO

Hi -

I have a laptop with about 68GB of OneDrive sync'd data. I now have a new laptop which I am setting up and it will replace my old laptop.

I've done some online research on this but not found an answer I trust.

What is the best way to do migrate all my data to the new machine?

1) Let OneDrive automatically sync with my new PC and use 68GB of my 250GB monthly allotment?

2) I could manually move the data over - as we did in the old days - and then turn on OneDrive and "hopefully" let it sync and realize that same data is on the new laptop and not download or create other copies.

Does anyone know or have tried manually moving the data over to a new machine? How does OneDrive react?

I tried with one folder and it seems to work where it did not download the folder again or create a second copy. I tried another folder and it started downloading (syncing).

Bottom line is I'd prefer to manually move all the folders and files (copy) from my old laptop to my new laptop's OneDrive but don't know how well this will play out. Nothing on Microsoft's OneDrive sit or elsewhere on this specifically that I've found. Thanks

:)

kentjapan, Jan 11, 2016

2. Explorer Preview

The folder is on Onedrive.

I solved the problem by creating a new folder and moving the files into that folder.

Thanks for your help

DenizNazlier, Jan 11, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Downloads and OneDrive Location

Hi Curt,

To move a library folder like your Downloads Folder:

In Windows File Explorer, create the new folder, you intend to use for Downloads

Then, click Quick Access in the Left Pane

In the right hand pane, right click the Downloads Folder

Choose Properties

In the resulting dialog, click on the Location Tab

On the location page, click 'Move' and navigate to the new folder you created

When asked if you want to merge files, choose Yes

Imgur

To move the OneDrive Folder:

In the left Pane choose This PC

In the Right hand pane, click the OneDrive Folder

On the Home Ribbon, in the Organise Section, click 'Move to'

Choose the location to move OneDrive to . . .

DaveM121, Jan 11, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

I'd say stop OneDrive on both computers then go ahead and copy the data over. You can use a big flash drive or your home network. Network is probably better and will not affect your data usage since it should all be within your local network.

Once done, start OneDrive on both and all should be well.

Ztruker, Jan 12, 2016
  5. kentjapan Win User
    Your suggestion worked perfectly. I waited a few days to make sure that the bandwidth did not count - and it did not. All transfers over my home network were good. After I turned OneDrive back on the new machine digested the changes and compared itself to OneDrive but no copies or downloads occurred. Thanks

kentjapan, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Moving OneDrive folders and files to new PO - Similar Threads - Moving OneDrive folders

2. Onedrive Documents folder moved

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive Documents folder moved: Good afternoonHaving purchased a laptop in addition to my desktop setup, I have set it up with access to my onedrive files. During the process the 'Documents' folder moved to become a subfolder of e-mail attachments. Step 1 - panic everything is gone. Step 2 - oh it's still...
  3. move downloads folder to onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    move downloads folder to onedrive: I wanted to sync my general "This PC\Downloads" folder to One Drive. I was able to successfully do so; however, it didn't create a "Downloads" folder in OneDrive and instead just synced all folders in both OneDrive and Downloads except Personal Vault.Now, in Windows Explorer,...
  4. Microsoft OneDrive Moving Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft OneDrive Moving Folders: I wanted to know why, on more than one of my client accounts, The profile folder under "Users"... The "Desktop" and "Pictures" folder are actually moved to the Onedrive cloud location. I would like to know how this is happening as it is causing issues within my networks....
  5. Moving OneDrive folders

Moving OneDrive folders: How do i move my documents and photos from OneDrive to my computer or google drive? The save icon is grayed out and cannot be used https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-onedrive-folders/72ea425b-90ee-4ba8-93e3-a3501de7c1cb"
  6. OneDrive folder moved to another OneDrive folder disappeared

OneDrive folder moved to another OneDrive folder disappeared: In File Manager I selected two folders in the OneDrive Documents folder and moved them into another folder in Documents. The folders disappeared, but were not in the other Documents folder. I searched on my PC for them and they weren't found. I looked in OneDrive online and...
  7. Moving OneDrive Files

Moving OneDrive Files: I have several games that continually backup themselves on to my OneDrive despite my attempts to move and delete them. I don't want them on my OneDrive because they take up so much space, how do I keep them from saving themselves onto my OneDrive?...
  8. Onedrive moving files.

Onedrive moving files.: Onedrive has moved my documents, desktop and pictures from my PC to Onedrive. I prefer not doing this. Is there a way to change the option where I can use Onedrive as a back-up only and keep my files on my PC?...
  9. Move Library Folders to OneDrive

Move Library Folders to OneDrive: I seem to have a basic misunderstanding of the process to move folders to OneDrive. I've followed all the directions that I've found and can't seem to get the locations moved. When I attempt to select a new location it simply keeps coming back to the "New Location"...
  10. Moving OneDrive to new folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving OneDrive to new folder: Long story, but I had placed my onedrive folder inside a different online backup folder (I don't know don't ask me why lol). Anyway now I need to move the OneDrive folder back to the main C: drive folder, but I can't figure out how to stop syncing long enough to move....