Windows 10: Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt

Discus and support Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Pretty self-explanatory: when I attempt to move, copy, or delete files especially to an external drive, but the problem happens even when just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by NicholasLyons3, May 29, 2022.

1. Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt

Pretty self-explanatory: when I attempt to move, copy, or delete files especially to an external drive, but the problem happens even when just permanently deleting files from my trash bin, Explorer will, apparently at random, come to a complete halt, such that I can't even open new windows. Eventually it will resume, but there seems to be no way of determining when it will do so, making the supposed completion times for copying useless in practice. This has always been a thing I've seen occasionally, but recently the problem has become extremely acute, such that it's actually impairing my ab

:)

NicholasLyons3, May 29, 2022
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 29, 2022
  3. temp02 Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, May 29, 2022
  4. Brian2090 Win User

Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt

How to clear the 'move to' and 'copy to' lists

Is there a way to shorten the list of folders in the 'Move to' and 'Copy to' actions of Explorer's ribbon menu?

I use the menu shortcut keys a lot but the drop down list of suggestions is becoming unmanageable.

I have to scroll to the very bottom and 'Choose location'. This has been asked before but not answered well.

The best suggestion I've found is at this SuperUser.com link. Clear them in the View-Options-Folder settings.

How to clear "Move To" and "Copy To" Explorer Tool Bar on WIndows 10

Brian2090, May 29, 2022
Thema:

Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt

1. Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt - Similar Threads - Moving copying files

2. Explorer freezes when moving or copying files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer freezes when moving or copying files.: I am trying to clean up my computer and whenever I try to copy or move any elements from one directory to another it suddenly gets stuck after a couple of files or even at the very beginning. Just like so:This makes me unable to organize any of my folders on my computer. I...
  3. Explorer freezes when moving or copying files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer freezes when moving or copying files.: I am trying to clean up my computer and whenever I try to copy or move any elements from one directory to another it suddenly gets stuck after a couple of files or even at the very beginning. Just like so:This makes me unable to organize any of my folders on my computer. I...
  4. Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt: Pretty self-explanatory: when I attempt to move, copy, or delete files especially to an external drive, but the problem happens even when just permanently deleting files from my trash bin, Explorer will, apparently at random, come to a complete halt, such that I can't even...
  5. Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving or copying files on Windows Explorer grinds to a halt: Pretty self-explanatory: when I attempt to move, copy, or delete files especially to an external drive, but the problem happens even when just permanently deleting files from my trash bin, Explorer will, apparently at random, come to a complete halt, such that I can't even...
  6. FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy: Hello. I can't figure out why when I drag and drop files to different folders in File Explorer there are times it 'moves' versus 'copies'. I can't tell what I'm doing differently. Thanks....
  7. FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy: Hello. I can't figure out why when I drag and drop files to different folders in File Explorer there are times it 'moves' versus 'copies'. I can't tell what I'm doing differently. Thanks....
  8. FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. W10 install halts on Copying Windows files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 install halts on Copying Windows files: I am reinstalling Windows 10 using the creation tool. All goes well until I get to the "Copying Windows files" screen won't advance with green check-marks in Getting Files, Installing Features, etc. I even tried a different hard drive with the same results. I know in past...
  10. W10 grinding to a halt (dosbox)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    W10 grinding to a halt (dosbox): Hi, fairly new W10 install based on W7 upgrade. Stock drivers for everything. While playing computer games recently (particularly DOSBOX ones) I experience that the system simply grinds to a halt after a certain time. Even trying to get a Task Manager/Process Manager...