Windows 10: Moving OS, Files and Programs to new SSD

Discus and support Moving OS, Files and Programs to new SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Quick question, I'm on Win 10 home, build 2004. I've got an M.2 SATA III SSD that I'm getting rid of and upgrading to an M.2 NVMe SSD. Fortunately I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/steve_the_woodsman, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Moving OS, Files and Programs to new SSD

Quick question, I'm on Win 10 home, build 2004. I've got an M.2 SATA III SSD that I'm getting rid of and upgrading to an M.2 NVMe SSD. Fortunately I have two M.2 slots on the motherboard, so I can use a migration tool. But I will be removing the old one and swapping the new one into the M.2_1 slot once migration is done (due to how the BIOS treats the M.2_2 slot and only gives it PCIe x8 lanes).

Any preferred tools? I've been looking at Macrium Reflect and EaseUS ToDo Backup but don't have any experience with them. TIA!

submitted by /u/steve_the_woodsman
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/steve_the_woodsman, Jul 31, 2020
  2. SEWsam Win User

Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD

Hello,

Is there any way to move/clone the OS to a new SSD while keeping the programs on the HDD (and being able to still keep the previous location association with shortcuts) (example: Shortcut on desktop: Location: (HDD) C:\Users\Sam\Desktop

Name: Steam

Target: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\Steam.exe

--> Moved to SSD: Location (SSD, as boot drive): D:\Users\Sam\Desktop

Name: Steam

Target: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\Steam.exe <--- Target stays the same)

Is this possible?

SEWsam, Jul 31, 2020
  3. S_and_S Win User
    Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD

No, it's not possible. Images and clones operate on an entire drive at once.

Even if it were physically possible, it wouldn't help you because programs and Windows need to be on the same partition, typically the C: drive.

If you want to move your personal files to a different hard drive, that is very possible and it's a good idea to do that.

S_and_S, Jul 31, 2020
  4. Moving OS, Files and Programs to new SSD

Replace boot and storage SSD with larger SSD: Move OS and programs/files to new Drive

Hello,

I have one SSD that contains my Windows 10 installation as well as some common apps/games. I recently purchased a larger SSD that I would like to use instead and the old SSD will be wiped clean and put into a different PC. What is the best way to move all
    of my apps, files and OS to the new drive without losing any data or having to reinstall any programs?

ThatGirlSlays, Jul 31, 2020
Thema:

Moving OS, Files and Programs to new SSD

1. Moving OS, Files and Programs to new SSD - Similar Threads - Moving Files Programs

2. moved files to new ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    moved files to new ssd: after moving files to a new ssd, when i try to open the files, they are there but it says i don't have permission to open them, i am the administrator on the computer...
  3. Move OS to new internal SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move OS to new internal SSD: Hello, I bought a new internal SSD that I installed on my motherboard. I initiated it from Disk Management. Since the new SSD is way better more speed and more space, I want to migrate my OS to the new one without any third-party tool unless it's free. Can someone help me?...
  4. Move OS to new internal SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move OS to new internal SSD: Hello, I bought a new internal SSD that I installed on my motherboard. I initiated it from Disk Management. Since the new SSD is way better more speed and more space, I want to migrate my OS to the new one without any third-party tool unless it's free. Can someone help me?...
  5. Move OS to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move OS to SSD: Move win10 from my HDD to SSD operating system only The SSD in smaller but it is 500 mg https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-os-to-ssd/2a46d103-f634-4cd0-9230-c58104c63769
  6. Move pagefile and hybernation file to SSD, willing to move OS, but not users and program...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move pagefile and hybernation file to SSD, willing to move OS, but not users and program...: I have a laptop with an msata ssd. It is small, and my system drive is large. I have a lot of memory in my computer. it takes a long time for it to hibernate. it's an older workstation class laptop I have a lot of programs and data already installed on the C drive, and it...
  7. Moving OS to new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving OS to new SSD: I have my Windows 10 OS installed in my old HDD. I recently put in a m.2 NVMe SSD in my PC and i’m wondering if I can clone my Windows 10 OS to my new SSD ONLY. I want to keep my pictures, videos and games in my HDD not move it anywhere. Is this possible? If so please tell me...
  8. New SSD, Question regarding moving programs and OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New SSD, Question regarding moving programs and OS: I purchased a Samsung SSD 500gb and I am trying to make it where my OS and all of my programs boot from the SSD, and all of my standard files are saved on my regular hard drive. The problem is, I currently have two hard drives installed due to a computer change (I pulled the...
  9. Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD

Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD: Hello, Is there any way to move/clone the OS to a new SSD while keeping the programs on the HDD (and being able to still keep the previous location association with shortcuts) (example: Shortcut on desktop: Location: (HDD) C:\Users\Sam\Desktop Name: Steam Target:...
  10. Replace boot and storage SSD with larger SSD: Move OS and programs/files to new Drive

Replace boot and storage SSD with larger SSD: Move OS and programs/files to new Drive: Hello, I have one SSD that contains my Windows 10 installation as well as some common apps/games. I recently purchased a larger SSD that I would like to use instead and the old SSD will be wiped clean and put into a different PC. What is the best way to move all of my apps,...