Windows 10: Moving OS to a differnt drive

Discus and support Moving OS to a differnt drive in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I recently upgraded my computers storage and put in a M.2 Drive wd green with 240GB and I was wanted to move my whole OS to the drive, which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by QuincyTroutman, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Moving OS to a differnt drive

I recently upgraded my computers storage and put in a M.2 Drive wd green with 240GB and I was wanted to move my whole OS to the drive, which is currently on my 1tb HDD. it would be idea if I didn't have to recent my computer. Please help, thank you.

:)

QuincyTroutman, Sep 11, 2018
  2. little cat, Sep 11, 2018
  3. Moving OS to the separate hard drive

I decided to install Windows 10 PRO on a separate hard drive. However, some
    of the software and apps installed on the other hard drives demand their files to be moved together with OS. Of course, some programs need to be located in the same place with OS. I want to get a notification if any of hard drives intend to edit
    or move the files to the place where the OS is located, or I just want to stop it. Can I do it?

dollyrustine carlos, Sep 11, 2018
  4. DavidY Win User

Moving OS to a differnt drive

Newbie needs advice moving Win8.1 ==> Win10

In your shoes I would
    1. Take a backup of the OS drive with Macrium Reflect, as suggested
    2. Download the ISO and do an Upgrade install (step 7 in this tutorial)
    Macrium gives you a way back if the upgrade doesn't work, and I also think that doing an Upgrade install is probably likely to be your quickest route to being activated on Windows 10 by the deadline.

Once activated, you can consider doing a clean install later but without the time pressure.

DavidY, Sep 11, 2018
Thema:

Moving OS to a differnt drive

1. Moving OS to a differnt drive - Similar Threads - Moving differnt drive

2. Creating a recovery drive with another computer with a differnt drive size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a recovery drive with another computer with a differnt drive size: My Dell XPS laptop fails recovery attempts using a recovery drive made with the laptop with the message "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."I created a recovery drive with my desktop but it is uanble to recover the PC. The system drive is too small.I...
  3. General Venting - Move OS between drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    General Venting - Move OS between drives: Desktop PC's live in a world of change and expansion. Here we are at Windows 11 and Microsoft still has not provided a way to migrate the OS from one drive to another without either cloning the entire drive image or reinstalling from scratch which means now all 60+ programs...
  4. Is it worth using differnt os

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it worth using differnt os: My windows 10 has quite a lot of stuff on it that I don't want to lose But it takes 15 minutes to open any browser 10 and there is quite a lot of dumb stuff about windows and I'm using a computer described as ultra budget so is it worth getting dual os's and maybe having...
  5. Move the OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move the OS: I have upgraded my notebook by adding a M.2 SSD. How to move the OS from HDD to SSD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-the-os/31229331-1425-4fb8-b6ca-74091718452e
  6. Moving OS Drive To A New Build

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving OS Drive To A New Build: Hi, hope this is the right forum. just wanting to check i'm good to go on a system rebuild; as per my other thread, i've got some new parts [mobo, cpu, DDR4, PSU] that i'm going to put into my build that has become flaky. after chats on another forum, i discovered you can now...
  7. Moving OS drive to new hardware question

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving OS drive to new hardware question: Hello everyone. I was wondering if It was possible to move my SSD (boot drive) onto new hardware. I'm upgrading my pc a bit, one of the things being the motherboard. I really don't want to purchase windows if I don't have to, so i'm wondering if it can be moved properly....
  8. Moving OS to other drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving OS to other drive: Hello everyone, as the title says, I want to move the OS to another drive, but, I want to do that without removing the other files on it. I also wouldn't really like to reinstall WIndows, but if absolutely necessary, I will do that. Can anyone be of help for me?...
  9. Can't move my OS to another drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't move my OS to another drive: Trying to move Windows 10 from my 120GB SSD to a new 500 GB SSD, but I'm getting an error: Windows did not find any disk which it can use for recreating volumes present in backup. (0x80042414) Here's what I've tried so far: Following these instructions, I've created a...
  10. Moving my OS drive to backup system.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving my OS drive to backup system.: My current system is no longer usable. The PCI-E slot on it is malfunctioning and aside from just browsing the net I can't do anything lest the system either freezes or crushes. I have an old computer that works just fine as my backup system. I thought of moving my OS drive...