Windows 10: Moving OS to a new SSD Activation if old drive is disconnected

Discus and support Moving OS to a new SSD Activation if old drive is disconnected in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; According to the following post, I should be able to use the media creation tool and skip activation and get a newly activated license on a different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Camitt93, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Camitt93 Win User

Moving OS to a new SSD Activation if old drive is disconnected

According to the following post, I should be able to use the media creation tool and skip activation and get a newly activated license on a different drive: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files-winpc/moving-windows-10-to-a-new-drive/40e22fc2-c85e-47a4-82d0-116b894872f1.

I tried going through the installation but I receive an error when trying to install Windows on the SSD. The suggested solution is to disconnect the existing drive but how will the new install "activate" if it no longer has the existing installation to reference and possibly grab what I would assume as needed information to "transfer" the license?

:)

Camitt93, Jan 24, 2021

2. New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, Jan 24, 2021
  3. Chin9 Win User
    Moving OS C drive to another SSD?

I currently have a 120GB SSD on my laptop as my OS C drive. I'm considering to install a new, larger SSD, but my Windows installation will be gone with the old SSD. So is there any way to move my Windows to a new drive?

Chin9, Jan 24, 2021
  4. Moving OS to a new SSD Activation if old drive is disconnected

New computer - how to move OS to new (larger) drive?

Hi all,

• I got a new computer a few days ago.
    • Its startup drive is a 250gb SSD and it has a 1TB standard drive. It has Windows 10 and is working fine...
    • However, I have a 1TB SSD I'd rather use as my primary drive. It's from my old computer and has Windows 10 installed.
    Is it possible to "move" or reinstall the current OS on my 1TB SSD and use that as the startup drive?

Regarding methods, I've seen a lot of different info all over the place, so thought it might be a better idea to ask here...

thanks

Andrew

android111, Jan 24, 2021
Thema:

Moving OS to a new SSD Activation if old drive is disconnected

1. Moving OS to a new SSD Activation if old drive is disconnected - Similar Threads - Moving SSD Activation

2. looking to move my OS from a old ssd to a new one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    looking to move my OS from a old ssd to a new one: hey everyone i recently just got a new ssd which is much better then my old ssd i was wondering how i move my windows os to the new drive i had a look online and there all talking about many third party software im not sure how to use anyone could help that would be great my...
  3. looking to move my OS from a old ssd to a new one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    looking to move my OS from a old ssd to a new one: hey everyone i recently just got a new ssd which is much better then my old ssd i was wondering how i move my windows os to the new drive i had a look online and there all talking about many third party software im not sure how to use anyone could help that would be great my...
  4. Move OS to new internal SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move OS to new internal SSD: Hello, I bought a new internal SSD that I installed on my motherboard. I initiated it from Disk Management. Since the new SSD is way better more speed and more space, I want to migrate my OS to the new one without any third-party tool unless it's free. Can someone help me?...
  5. Move OS to new internal SSD

Move OS to new internal SSD: Hello, I bought a new internal SSD that I installed on my motherboard. I initiated it from Disk Management. Since the new SSD is way better more speed and more space, I want to migrate my OS to the new one without any third-party tool unless it's free. Can someone help me?...
  6. Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS: I had an issue the other week with my original SSD in my XPS15 9560 that caused to OS to corrupt and become unusable. I didn't want to re-image that hard drive and lose all my files in the process so I decided to upgrade to a new SSD with more storage. I though I would able...
  7. Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS

Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS: I had an issue the other week with my original SSD in my XPS15 9560 that caused to OS to corrupt and become unusable. I didn't want to re-image that hard drive and lose all my files in the process so I decided to upgrade to a new SSD with more storage. I though I would able...
  8. Moving files and setting from an old SSD with no OS to a new one that does have an OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Moving OS to new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving OS to new SSD: I have my Windows 10 OS installed in my old HDD. I recently put in a m.2 NVMe SSD in my PC and i’m wondering if I can clone my Windows 10 OS to my new SSD ONLY. I want to keep my pictures, videos and games in my HDD not move it anywhere. Is this possible? If so please tell me...
  10. New OS SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New OS SSD Drive: I'm confused with what, if I anything, that I need to do in order to activate Windows 10 once I replace/upgrade my OS SSD. I originally was able to take advantage of the free Windows 7 to 10 upgrade. What do I need to do with regard to activation once I re-install windows 10...