Windows 10: Moving OS to new SSD

Discus and support Moving OS to new SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have my Windows 10 OS installed in my old HDD. I recently put in a m.2 NVMe SSD in my PC and i’m wondering if I can clone my Windows 10 OS to my new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/weebcumming, May 12, 2020.

1. Moving OS to new SSD

I have my Windows 10 OS installed in my old HDD. I recently put in a m.2 NVMe SSD in my PC and i’m wondering if I can clone my Windows 10 OS to my new SSD ONLY. I want to keep my pictures, videos and games in my HDD not move it anywhere. Is this possible? If so please tell me a method.

submitted by /u/weebcumming
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/weebcumming, May 12, 2020

2. how to migrate only the OS to a new SSD

hi

i gust got a new SSD

and i want to move my OS and only my OS over to it

so that i can boot from it.

if any one can give me a step by step guide to it that would be grate

some PC info

i have windows 10 64bit

the SSD is 120GB

mrhexeberg, May 12, 2020
  3. SEWsam Win User
    Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD

Hello,

Is there any way to move/clone the OS to a new SSD while keeping the programs on the HDD (and being able to still keep the previous location association with shortcuts) (example: Shortcut on desktop: Location: (HDD) C:\Users\Sam\Desktop

Name: Steam

Target: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\Steam.exe

--> Moved to SSD: Location (SSD, as boot drive): D:\Users\Sam\Desktop

Name: Steam

Target: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\Steam.exe <--- Target stays the same)

Is this possible?

SEWsam, May 12, 2020
  4. Chin9 Win User

Moving OS to new SSD

Moving OS C drive to another SSD?

I currently have a 120GB SSD on my laptop as my OS C drive. I'm considering to install a new, larger SSD, but my Windows installation will be gone with the old SSD. So is there any way to move my Windows to a new drive?

Chin9, May 12, 2020
Thema:

Moving OS to new SSD

1. Moving OS to new SSD - Similar Threads - Moving SSD

2. I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd: So my key came from upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I didn't realize I had not linked my account and of course didn't stop to check. I move my ssd from my old computer to my new one and it brought up activating it and i found out that i had not linked it to my...
  3. I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd: So my key came from upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I didn't realize I had not linked my account and of course didn't stop to check. I move my ssd from my old computer to my new one and it brought up activating it and i found out that i had not linked it to my...
  4. I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do i move a old windows to a external SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do i move a old windows to a external SSD: How do i move a old windows to a external SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-a-old-windows-to-a-external-ssd/86f5cb8f-03a2-4ffc-bf9f-9e2e29678a40
  6. How do i move a old windows to a external SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i move a old windows to a external SSD: How do i move a old windows to a external SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-a-old-windows-to-a-external-ssd/86f5cb8f-03a2-4ffc-bf9f-9e2e29678a40
  7. How do i move a old windows to a external SSD

8. SSD contents mostly empty when moved to new PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD contents mostly empty when moved to new PC: I am trying to move contents from an old PC with windows 10 to a new PC with windows 11. What I've done is connect a new SSD to the old PC so I can directly copy all of the files. The operation appears to finish without any issues. And when I right click properties of the...
  9. SSD contents mostly empty when moved to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD contents mostly empty when moved to new PC: I am trying to move contents from an old PC with windows 10 to a new PC with windows 11. What I've done is connect a new SSD to the old PC so I can directly copy all of the files. The operation appears to finish without any issues. And when I right click properties of the...
  10. SSD contents mostly empty when moved to new PC