Windows 10: Moving partitions

Discus and support Moving partitions in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I wanted to reorder/arrange the disk. How can I move the OEM partition to the 2nd location such that C drive will be 3rd partition . Please see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ram93, Nov 5, 2019.

1. ram93 Win User

Moving partitions

Hi,

I wanted to reorder/arrange the disk. How can I move the OEM partition to the 2nd location such that C drive will be 3rd partition . Please see attached snapshot.

:)

ram93, Nov 5, 2019
  2. FX-GMC Win User

Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, Nov 5, 2019
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Nov 5, 2019
  4. trog100 Win User

Moving partitions

Move EFI partition

its to enable win 10 to update to its anniversary edition.. it cant do this due to lack of C drive space i have had a quick try with the trial version of easus.. it didnt seem to be able to do what i want..

i am assuming i cant just delete the efi partition but maybe i could.. as yet i havnt even figured out how to get into the bios of the thing.. maybe that should be my next step.. *Smile Moving partitions :)

diskpart could probably do it but figuring out how (it aint that user friendly) might be difficult without step by step instructions..

trog

trog100, Nov 5, 2019
Thema:

Moving partitions

1. Moving partitions - Similar Threads - Moving partitions

2. How can I move files from the Windows partition to the WSL one?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I move files from the Windows partition to the WSL one?: I installed Ubuntu through WSL is the virtualisation tool. And I want to move some files from the memory partition is controlled by Windows to the partition is controlled by Ubuntu. I tried to do it through Bash using thesudo cp <lc_disk>:\\<dir_with_files>\\<file.txt>...
  3. How can I move files from the Windows partition to the WSL one?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I move files from the Windows partition to the WSL one?: I installed Ubuntu through WSL is the virtualisation tool. And I want to move some files from the memory partition is controlled by Windows to the partition is controlled by Ubuntu. I tried to do it through Bash using thesudo cp <lc_disk>:\\<dir_with_files>\\<file.txt>...
  4. I partitioned C: on a new computer, but set the volume too low. How do I move volume from...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I partitioned C: on a new computer, but set the volume too low. How do I move volume from...: I partitioned C: on a new computer, but set the volume too low. How do I move volume from the new F: to C:? What should C: volume be for programs?...
  5. I partitioned C: on a new computer, but set the volume too low. How do I move volume from...

I partitioned C: on a new computer, but set the volume too low. How do I move volume from...: I partitioned C: on a new computer, but set the volume too low. How do I move volume from the new F: to C:? What should C: volume be for programs?...
  6. How to move "EFI System Partition"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move "EFI System Partition"?: Hi guys, I need to move my m.2 drivedisk 1 in pic above to a different pc but when I did so, it didn't boot. When I installed windows 10 onto disk 1, I'm pretty sure disk 0 was plugged in as well. I suspect that the reason disk 1 won't boot on a different pcwithout disk 0 is...
  7. How to move "EFI System Partition"?

How to move "EFI System Partition"?: Hi guys, I need to move my m.2 drivedisk 1 in pic above to a different pc but when I did so, it didn't boot. When I installed windows 10 onto disk 1, I'm pretty sure disk 0 was plugged in as well. I suspect that the reason disk 1 won't boot on a different pcwithout disk 0 is...
  8. How to move "EFI System Partition"?

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. There is a way to move the System Partition EFI from a older disk to a new one?

There is a way to move the System Partition EFI from a older disk to a new one?: Hello, I just moved my Windows 10 from a HDD to a SSD, because i wanted to use the HDD with a Linux distro. I created a boot of my Windows into a pen drive and formated the HDD disk to use later. I succefully installed Windows on my SDD so i realised that the System Partition...
  10. There is a way to move the System Partition EFI from a older disk to a new one?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    There is a way to move the System Partition EFI from a older disk to a new one?: Hello, I just moved my Windows 10 from a HDD to a SSD, because i wanted to use the HDD with a Linux distro. I created a boot of my Windows into a pen drive and formated the HDD disk to use later. I succefully installed Windows on my SDD so i realised that the System Partition...