Windows 10: Moving photos onto external hard drive

Discus and support Moving photos onto external hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello! I need help. I have a phone full of photos. I want to get them onto an external hard drive and I’m having a tough time. Any help would be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Amy037, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Amy037 Win User

Moving photos onto external hard drive

Hello! I need help. I have a phone full of photos. I want to get them onto an external hard drive and I’m having a tough time. Any help would be appreciated. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7. The laptop is a Lenovo so Desktop/IBM. The external HD is a KESU with FAT-32.

I plugged phone into laptop and the photos got copied. They seem to have ended up in OneDrive rather than on my computer desktop as I had hoped. This is a problem since I do not want to pay to store my photos in the cloud. I want to put them onto my external HD and store them that way. Now I can’t seem to get them from OneDrive onto the KESU. I keep trying and the whole system freezes. Its a lot of photos, but there was no trouble getting them from phone onto One Drive; it took maybe half an hour. What am I doing wrong? Thank you!

:)

Amy037, Apr 15, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Apr 15, 2020
  3. Photos and external hard drive problem

Hello,

I have an external hard drive full of photos. I am hoping to link these photos to the Windows 10 Photos app without moving them to the laptop's internal hard drive. I want them to stay on the external drive and, furthermore, want any new photos added (from
    my phone, for example) to go to this external hard drive as well.

I have already changed the pathways of where Pictures will be saved to this hard drive.

Anyway, plugged in the external hard drive full of photos and overnight the Photos app pulled found them, organized them by date, etc. All seemed well. Later that day, however, I closed Photos and then removed the hard drive. Later reconnected the hard
    drive and started Photos but there was nothing on Photos! The program apparently needs to re-find the photos and rebuild the library every time I plug in the hard drive...this takes hours. Am I missing a process that would allow the Photos app to remember
    the library whenever I plug in the hard drive?

Thanks!

TobiasMaximus, Apr 15, 2020
  4. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Moving photos onto external hard drive - Similar Threads - Moving photos onto

2. transferring photos to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    transferring photos to external hard drive: Can someone please help me put my photos that I have saved onto my pc with OneDrive sync on, onto an external hard drive. i only want the image folder placed onto the external hard drive not the OneDrive back up.I have tried several times and it is coming up with There is not...
  3. transferring photos to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    transferring photos to external hard drive: Can someone please help me put my photos that I have saved onto my pc with OneDrive sync on, onto an external hard drive. i only want the image folder placed onto the external hard drive not the OneDrive back up.I have tried several times and it is coming up with There is not...
  4. Move data to external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move data to external hard drive.: Hi. My computer drive is really unorganized. I installed a lot of bloat, put things in seemingly random files, and other stuff. I decided that I wanted to use a new hard drive. I have an external 1tb hard drive that I could move all of my drive's contents into. There is one...
  5. Move data to external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move data to external hard drive.: Hi. My computer drive is really unorganized. I installed a lot of bloat, put things in seemingly random files, and other stuff. I decided that I wanted to use a new hard drive. I have an external 1tb hard drive that I could move all of my drive's contents into. There is one...
  6. Move data to external hard drive.

7. How to move Mac Os onto external drive for Windows?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to move Mac Os onto external drive for Windows?: So I have a MacBook pro 2019 and I have recently partitioned my mac using bootcamp to have windows and mac os on the same internal drive. I would like to mainly use windows and get rid of the space that the macos takes up on the internal drive. I was wondering how can I...
  8. Can't decrypt files after moving onto external hard-drive and installing new version of...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't decrypt files after moving onto external hard-drive and installing new version of...: My file system was crashing hard and I think it was from a virus. After exhausting every other possible option I moved all my most important files onto an external hard-drive, wiped everything from my laptop hard-drive, and installed a new version of windows. Some of my...
  9. Move files to an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move files to an external hard drive: i want to move pictured from my computers hard drive to an external hard drive via a usb port. When I right click and copy and go to past... I cant find the usc hard drive option to past to? thanks...
  10. Photos and external hard drive problem

Photos and external hard drive problem: Hello, I have an external hard drive full of photos. I am hoping to link these photos to the Windows 10 Photos app without moving them to the laptop's internal hard drive. I want them to stay on the external drive and, furthermore, want any new photos added (from my phone,...