Windows 10: Moving Program Files folder

Discus and support Moving Program Files folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a 240GB SSD which has windows on it and i also have a 960GB SSD which i would like to use for installing programs, so that my OS boots fast. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Will.jet73, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Moving Program Files folder

I have a 240GB SSD which has windows on it and i also have a 960GB SSD which i would like to use for installing programs, so that my OS boots fast.

I have already transferred "Documents,Music, Videos, Pictures, Downloads and Desktop".

Is there a way to move the Program Files folder to my D Drive, or just any way for me to install programs onto it?

:)

Will.jet73, Dec 28, 2019
  2. dark2099 Win User

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Dec 28, 2019
  3. YIN
    Yin Win User
    Looking for a program which grabs folders\files and converts it into text

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a program which lets you pick a folder and grabs all the files\folders names and puts it in a text file.

I'm not sure if that makes sense, sorry if it doesn't.

4. ace80 Win User

Moving Program Files folder

I want to move "Program Files"

Ditto, it is possible but u then have go through every registry entry to point to the new location. I just uninstalled everything, editted the registry to tell the installer where the new program files folder is then reinstalled it all again(was much quicker)*Smile Moving Program Files folder :)

ace80, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

Moving Program Files folder

1. Moving Program Files folder - Similar Threads - Moving Program Files

2. i cant move and copy files to the program filesx86 folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i cant move and copy files to the program filesx86 folder: it used to work but when i try it it wont move to the folder example: i downloaded an mod that requires me to move an folder from the program filesx86 but when i tried it it wont move even tho i am using the administrator acc tried move to and copy to it wont work...
  3. i cant move and copy files to the program filesx86 folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i cant move and copy files to the program filesx86 folder: it used to work but when i try it it wont move to the folder example: i downloaded an mod that requires me to move an folder from the program filesx86 but when i tried it it wont move even tho i am using the administrator acc tried move to and copy to it wont work...
  4. can's move file/folder because it is in use in another program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can's move file/folder because it is in use in another program: Trying to rearrange folders in a drive and get this notice every time. How do I find where it is open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cans-move-filefolder-because-it-is-in-use-in/81e9506e-de4b-4735-8066-c39c31fe614d
  5. can's move file/folder because it is in use in another program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can's move file/folder because it is in use in another program: Trying to rearrange folders in a drive and get this notice every time. How do I find where it is open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cans-move-filefolder-because-it-is-in-use-in/81e9506e-de4b-4735-8066-c39c31fe614d
  6. Moving files/folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving files/folders: Hello.I have been trying to move folders from C drive to my extended storage device D. i have followed the instructions given on a different forum, i right clicked on the folder, went to properties and then i wanted to search for location tab but i couldn't find it. only tabs...
  7. moving files in a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    moving files in a folder: I'm trying to move files pictures around in a folder. In windows 7 I could just move them via the mouse. I've tried cutting & pasting but nothing happens. Any ideas?...
  8. Moving file/folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving file/folders: I have a Predator gaming laptop I added a 4tb external drive because I was running out of internal drive space, I have it set so that everything possible will go to that drive. Problem is that while some things load to that drive, addon or mods download to a different folder...
  9. Does moving the files from the "program files" folder install it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does moving the files from the "program files" folder install it?: I'm sorry if the title is confusing. What I mean is, if I installed blender on one computer, then copied the folder it's in to another computer, will the second computer now have blender, or do I have to redownload it from the previous computer? submitted by...
  10. How to move Program Files folders?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to move Program Files folders?: I have a question, please. I have a brand new computer, with an SSD and and HDD. I have already redirected all of the folders (Desktop, Documents, etc.,) to my HDD. My question is this: I want to install programs to both HDD and SSD, depending on the program. Do I need to...