Windows 10: Moving Public Folder to another drive

Discus and support Moving Public Folder to another drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been asked to install an HDD in a church pc which only has a 224GB SanDisk SSD which is running out of space. The problem I can foresee is that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by scopio, Apr 25, 2019.

1. scopio Win User

Moving Public Folder to another drive

I have been asked to install an HDD in a church pc which only has a 224GB SanDisk SSD which is running out of space.
    The problem I can foresee is that the church uses an application called SongPro which insists to install in the C:\Users\Programs File (x86) and the data files in the
    C:\Users\Public\SongPro5 folder and does not give the option to be installed software
    on another drive.
    I have searched the web if and how the Public folder can be moved to another drive and found that it can be done using the following steps;

• COPY (don’t MOVE) the C:\USERS\PUBLIC folder to a different disk or partition
    • Click the START button and type REGEDIT (not case sensitive) and press enter
    • Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MICROSOFT > WINDOWS NT > CURRENT VERSION > PROFILE LIST
    • Double click on PUBLIC
    • Correct the path
    • Reboot the PC
    • Go to C:\USERS\PUBLIC and delete everything
    Can someone here please confirm if the SongPro software is installed in C:\Users\Programs File (x86) (the SSD) and the path Public\SongPro5 folder moved to another folder will work?

Moving Public Folder to another drive [​IMG]

:)

scopio, Apr 25, 2019

2. Duplicate Public Folders

Hope this helps someone identify the problem.

• Q: What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • A: Nothing. They're successfully deleted.

• Q: Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
      • A: Only the default Public Folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos).
      • A: All of the Public Folders have customized folder icons.
      • A: The above image shows yellow, empty folder icons (duplicates).

• Q: Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?
      • Actually, this has been a problem since Windows 7.
      • What I noticed then is that certain Windows programs created the duplicates:
        • Windows Media Player (stopped using)
        • Internet Explorer (stopped using)
        • Plus others, which I can't recall.
      • Only certain programs for Windows 10, as well:
        • Microsoft Edge (don't use it often)
        • Groove Music (never intentionally use it)
        • Plus others, which I haven't tracked.
          • I only notice it when I go to Public Folders.
          • By then, I've long since forgotten what was accessed.
      • I've googled for answers but most of those only address
        moving the Public Folders to another Drive.

PQSC.Programmer, Apr 25, 2019
  3. Moving the Public Folders to another drive under Windows 10

I'm asking this question in parallel to one I raised to resolve an issue I have with Windows Media Player which continuously loses its library settings as I think it may be related.

I installed a bootable SSD on my PC and remapped the existing HDD to hold just my data (I've called it my M: drive). Following one of numerous threads that I must have read, I eventually managed to work out how to move the location of the Public folders
    to the HDD - by running File explorer in safe mode and using the move location button under the location tab. That seemed to work well. However, I now notice that Windows seems to have recreated my Public folders on the C: drive. This time, if I boot into
    safe mode, there is no location tab on these folders to even try to replicate the process. I'm sure this is related to the problems I'm having with WMP - whereby it keeps resorting to using the public folders on the C: drive rather than the M: drive.

What process is likely to have recreated the public folders on the C: Drive? How can I stop it recurring?

How can I ensure that these folders on the C: drive are ignored on only the public folders on the M: drive are considered?

Thanks

BR

BorderReiver(2), Apr 25, 2019
  4. Neemobeer Win User

Moving the Public Folders to another drive under Windows 10

You can, but the Public directory can be a little tricky to move.

You will need to takeownership of it as well as a couple sub directories that will be owned by SYSTEM. Once you've taken ownership you will then need to grant your account full access recursively.
    At that point you should be able to move the directory.
    Last step, from an elevated command prompt run mklink /J C:\Users\Public M:\PathtoPublic

Optionally you can change the owner back to system

Going this route will allow the OS to still have the C:\Users\Public directory, but behind the scenes the data is stored on the other drive.

Neemobeer, Apr 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Moving Public Folder to another drive - Similar Threads - Moving Public Folder

2. Moving desktop folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving desktop folder to another drive: Hi all. I have just had to reinstall windoes due booting problems. I want to move desktop, documents folders etc to another drive. I know how to do it right click, properties, location, move but the issue I have is that I already have these folders on another drive due to the...
  3. Moving desktop folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving desktop folder to another drive: Hi all. I have just had to reinstall windoes due booting problems. I want to move desktop, documents folders etc to another drive. I know how to do it right click, properties, location, move but the issue I have is that I already have these folders on another drive due to the...
  4. Moving desktop folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Moving user profile folders to another drive

Moving user profile folders to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  6. Moving user profile folders to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving user profile folders to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  7. Moving Folders to Another Drive

Moving Folders to Another Drive: I wanted to move some folders to another drive and found this article, https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-move-your-default-data-folders-to-a-different-drive/#:~:text=To%20make%20the%20move%2C%20open,new%20location%20for%20that%20folder.I followed the steps to move...
  8. Desktop Folder move to another drive trouble

Desktop Folder move to another drive trouble: Good morning everyone. I mess up and i change the desktop and the download files from C to D and it doesn't show me the downloads file. I choose only the D driver and didn't make a desktop file. Its exactly the same problem from here...
  9. Move appdata folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move appdata folder to another drive: I was wondering if it was possible to move the appdata folder to a drive different from c, since I have a small ssd and I want to free up some space. I've red that changing its path could break some programs so I wanted to know what do you think about it and if you know other...
  10. Moving the Public Folders to another drive under Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving the Public Folders to another drive under Windows 10: I'm asking this question on this site as I posted the same query on the Microsoft support forum and got, what I assume to be, a scam response to call a US number. I'm raising it in parallel to another one I raised to resolve an issue I have with Windows Media Player which...