Windows 10: Moving quick access library folders (music, pictures, etc.) to hard drive from ssd?

Discus and support Moving quick access library folders (music, pictures, etc.) to hard drive from ssd? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I got a new windows 10 laptop (last laptop was windows 8). This new laptop has a solid state drive and a hard drive on it. I want to have the library... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Trish_13, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Trish_13 Win User

Moving quick access library folders (music, pictures, etc.) to hard drive from ssd?

I got a new windows 10 laptop (last laptop was windows 8). This new laptop has a solid state drive and a hard drive on it. I want to have the library folders location on my hard drive since it is much larger than my ssd. The library folders are currently directed under OneDrive. I solved part of the problem by moving my OneDrive folder to the hard drive from the ssd. But I don't want the quick access library folders to keep being stored under there. I'd like a regular libraries folder just under my hard drive, and not under the onedrive folder on it. I've tried to move them but whenever I do, I get an error (picture included). I've tried creating a folder on my hard drive (D drive) called Libraries to move the picture, music, etc. folders there.. There's nothing in that libraries folder yet.. But when I try to move it, and it asks if I want to move it and all the contents and I select yes, this error pops up. Is there anything I can do or am I stuck having the actual library folders be stored under OneDrive? Moving quick access library folders (music, pictures, etc.) to hard drive from ssd? 9c2b881b-6cda-4726-96ae-e1db18be2a40?upload=true.png Moving quick access library folders (music, pictures, etc.) to hard drive from ssd? 76511180-c589-4f62-bf38-456c44879122?upload=true.png

:)

Trish_13, Mar 7, 2019
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

enso, Mar 7, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Turned Hard Drive into Music folder

• Create a folder on the D drive and name it 'Music'
    • Move all the files and folders that should be in the Music folder into this new folder
    • Then in Quick Access, right click the Windows Music Library, select Properties
    • Then on the location Tab, set its location to the new 'Music' folder
    • When asked if you want to merge contents - Select 'No'
    • Click 'Apply' and 'OK'

If you want you can leave the music folder on the D Drive, or you can then click 'Restore Default' to move it back onto the C Drive

If needs be for the Documents folder, you can perform the same operation by creating a new Documents folder on the D Drive

NOTE: the important step is (5) do not merge the contents . . .

DaveM121, Mar 7, 2019
  4. Moving quick access library folders (music, pictures, etc.) to hard drive from ssd?

Moving Librariy files and folders to secondary hard drive

Hi Bailey,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Yes, as you said you will face problems if you cut and paste the library folders to the new hard drive. If you cut and paste the libraries folder some of the Windows functions such as Downloads, Music, Pictures and Videos
    will not work properly

If you want to access the library folders in the new hard drive, I suggest you to copy the Library folders (Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos). Follow the steps to copy the library folders.

• Press Windows + E keys on the keyboard to open Windows explorer.

• Find the Libraries on the left navigation pane of the Windows Explorer. (If libraries are not there, click on
      View tab at the top of Windows explorer, click on Navigation pane and select the
      Show Libraries)

• Now, right click on Libraries from the left navigation pane and click on
      Copy.

• Open the new hard drive and paste the Libraries folder by pressing
      CTRL + V key on the keyboard. (paste the libraries folders on the new hard drive where ever you want)

As you have less space on the primary hard drive, I suggest you to follow the below article to free up drive space.

Free up drive space in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/free-up-drive-space

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Mar 7, 2019
Thema:

Moving quick access library folders (music, pictures, etc.) to hard drive from ssd?

1. Moving quick access library folders (music, pictures, etc.) to hard drive from ssd? - Similar Threads - Moving quick access

2. Moving data/ pictures etc folders from C DRIVE to a 2nd installed drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving data/ pictures etc folders from C DRIVE to a 2nd installed drive: HiThere are a number of earlier questions & answers on moving the above folders successfully out of C Drive.Will these procedures still work in 2023 with OneDrive set up as normal or will it stuff up My Computer\ documents\ pictures etc?...
  3. Moving data/ pictures etc folders from C DRIVE to a 2nd installed drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving data/ pictures etc folders from C DRIVE to a 2nd installed drive: HiThere are a number of earlier questions & answers on moving the above folders successfully out of C Drive.Will these procedures still work in 2023 with OneDrive set up as normal or will it stuff up My Computer\ documents\ pictures etc?...
  4. Moving data/ pictures etc folders from C DRIVE to a 2nd installed drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Move C Drive to SSD from hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move C Drive to SSD from hard drive: 21H1 Built 19043.1110 I have a Dell Inspiron 3580 that comes with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB Toshiba hard drive. After trying to install a duel boot with Win 10 Pro and Linux I see in Disk Management that Windows (C:) is on the 1 TB drive. I can only boot into Win 10 and every...
  6. Change Quick Access and Libraries Pictures Location

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Quick Access and Libraries Pictures Location: I have moved everything from the Pictures folder in C:\Users\Owner to a Pictures folder on my E drive. I want to change the location on the Quick Access and This PC menus to the new location. I don't have to move any files or folders. Running Win 10 Pro up to date. 171504
  7. Moving Documents/Pictures/etc folders between drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Documents/Pictures/etc folders between drives: I've recently got a new laptop with SSD and HDD. When the laptop arrived, all the user library folders such as Documents, Pictures etc were set up to be on the C: drive SSD, all linked to OneDrive. I wanted to move them on the the HDD, which is something I've managed fine on...
  8. Move Quick Access folders down to where Dropbox etc is?

in Windows 10 Support
    Move Quick Access folders down to where Dropbox etc is?: Can I move folders currently located in the Quick Access section down to where Dropbox, My computer, Onedrive and Network folders are? [img] 150626
  9. Remove folders from Quick access - network drive moved

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove folders from Quick access - network drive moved: Hey, all! I'm trying to remove folders from appearing in my Quick access toolbar in Windows Explorer, as the network drive the folders were in have moved, and those destinations are no longer valid. Whenever I right-click to remove a folder, the system ends up clocking and I...
  10. Problem moving Documents Folder to hard drive from SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem moving Documents Folder to hard drive from SSD: My SSD is filling up (it's 256gb) and so I decided to move the documents folder to the D: harddrive. I changed the location under Quick Access to D:\Documents. The system created the directory and moved the files. However, before the move there were 54gb of files and 2840...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. moving Quick Access Folders from SSD to HDD