Windows 10: Moving storage HDD from old computer to new

Discus and support Moving storage HDD from old computer to new in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; I built a new computer and want to move the storage HDD from the old one to the new one without having to redownload hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by Iv0idWARANTIES, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Moving storage HDD from old computer to new

I built a new computer and want to move the storage HDD from the old one to the new one without having to redownload hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes of Microsoft Store games and apps. I was hoping when I logged into the Microsoft Store on the new computer with my old account it would recognize the HDD with the installed games and allow me to launch them. Of coarse that would have been too easy and it wants me to redownload everything. Is there any work around to this?

PS wasn't quite sure which category to post this in.

:)

Iv0idWARANTIES, Nov 10, 2019
  2. RexCypher Win User

Transfering OS from old HDD to new HDD

My old hdd is windows 10, but only has ~30gb left of storage and a broken sata cable receiver. Bought a 3TB hdd. Is there a way to transfer all the files and os system from the old to the new?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

RexCypher, Nov 10, 2019
  3. Zera Fox Win User
    Moving old HDD to new PC with Windows

I have an old computer I wish to move the HDD from to a new computer that is already running Windows 10 on it.

I'd like to be able to save all the data on the old HDD and use the Windows 10 installation that already exists on the new computer rather than the old HDD.

My question is, how do I safely remove the Windows 10 install from my old HDD without harming my files so that there is no conflict/dual boot on the new PC that already has Windows 10?

Zera Fox, Nov 10, 2019
  4. spunk Win User

Moving storage HDD from old computer to new

Moving old HDD to new PC with Windows

We mean the new computer. Remove the HDD from the old computer, attach the old HDD to the new computer internally. On the new computer, Boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot tab, make sure the new computers HDD is the First Boot Device. Move the old HDD's boot order to last, or remove it entirely from the boot order. Save and Exit.
    The computer will boot off of the new drive and it will show the old HDD in This PC as the next available drive letter. Open this secondary drive, browse to X:\Users\[OldUserName] where X: is the secondary drive letter, copy the files you want to keep to the new computer (ie) drag the Documents folder to C:\Users[NewUserName etc.

spunk, Nov 10, 2019
Thema:

Moving storage HDD from old computer to new

1. Moving storage HDD from old computer to new - Similar Threads - Moving storage HDD

2. Moving slave HDD to a new computer.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving slave HDD to a new computer.: My current desktop has 2 HDDs; a 250GB HDD where WIN10 is installed Master, and a 1TB HDD where games and some files are stored Slave. I am upgrading computers and wish to move the 1TB drive to the new desktop. The new computer has a 500GB HDD with WIN10. I know many games...
  3. moving content from old to new computer

moving content from old to new computer: I have a very old DellOptiplex 360 desktop with windows 10 and am finally getting rid of it. I need to switch all my content over to my new Dell desktop. I forgot how to do this. I need to switch over outlook emails, all documents, all videos, all docs saved directly on my...
  4. Moving storage HDD from old computer to new

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving storage HDD from old computer to new: I built a new computer and want to move the storage HDD from the old one to the new one without having to redownload hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes of Microsoft Store games and apps. I was hoping when I logged into the Microsoft Store on the new computer with my old...
  5. Moving Windows 10 from a hdd to ssd on a new computer

Moving Windows 10 from a hdd to ssd on a new computer: My friend has just bought a brand new computer and has had me install a 2TB ssd to replace the 2TB hdd which was originally installed in the computer. I want to migrate the Windows 10 OS to the new ssd and remove the hdd after this has been done. Can I just copy the files or...
  6. Moving old HDD to new PC with Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving old HDD to new PC with Windows: I have an old computer I wish to move the HDD from to a new computer that is already running Windows 10 on it. I'd like to be able to save all the data on the old HDD and use the Windows 10 installation that already exists on the new computer rather than the old HDD. My...
  7. Moving an older program from another old computer to a new computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving an older program from another old computer to a new computer: Can I move a program from one computer to another by using a flash drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-an-older-program-from-another-old-computer/cf5edabe-ef14-4bee-9d46-0b99ca7b1e41
  8. Move data drive from old computer into new

Move data drive from old computer into new: I am running a 2007 vintage self-built PC with a separate data drive (1tb hdd) and OS/program drive (SSD). I want to move the data hdd into a new computer I've built. Is it just as simple as unplugging/ dismounting from old and installing in new? Any advice is appreciated,...
  9. Moving win10 from old computer to new

Moving win10 from old computer to new: I'm upgrading from and old computer to a new build. Am I able to move the operating system to the new one without buying a brand new windows product key? I will not be using the old one whatsoever (just keeping the hard drives). Originally this was a windows 7 and I got the...
  10. moving old hdd to new computer

moving old hdd to new computer: I have an old computer with a bad motherboard that I am thinking about taking the hdd out of and reinstalling it in a new computer and duel booting between win7 and win10, my question is "can it be done"? 11745