Windows 10: Moving Storage Space to new PC - media is write protected?

Discus and support Moving Storage Space to new PC - media is write protected? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello! Here's my scenario: I'm moving a roughly 16TB storage space to a new PC running Windows 10 Pro. The old PC also ran Windows 10 Pro, and had a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by B_Wilks, Jul 13, 2020.

1. B_Wilks Win User

Moving Storage Space to new PC - media is write protected?

Hello! Here's my scenario: I'm moving a roughly 16TB storage space to a new PC running Windows 10 Pro. The old PC also ran Windows 10 Pro, and had a single admin user. The new PC also has a single admin user.

When I try to access the storage space in Explorer, it shows a zero-byte drive. When I access it in the Manage Storage Spaces app, it shows the drives as correctly full ~12TB used and displays the drives that are part of the array.

I think I get what's happening - the drives were owned by the admin user on the previous PC, and need ownership taken by the admin user on the new PC. Problem is, I can't see a way to change that. When I Get-StoragePool in Powershell it shows the following:

FriendlyName OperationalStatus HealthStatus IsPrimordial IsReadOnly Size AllocatedSize
    ------------ ----------------- ------------ ------------ ---------- ---- -------------
    Primordial OK Healthy True False 16.55 TB 16.37 TB
    Storage pool OK Healthy False False 16.37 TB 12.01 TB

...but when I try to take ownership of the drive through Explorer via Properties>Security>Advanced>Change beside Owner I get the following error:

"An error has occurred while applying security information to:

[filename]

The media is write-protected."

I read that in Win12 Server the array loads in a "safe state" read-only? and that it can be opened for writes via Server Manager, but I obviously don't have that option in Windows 10. The array is read-write based on the Get-StoragePool command, right? What have I missed here?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

:)

B_Wilks, Jul 13, 2020

2. External Drive using storage spaces does not work on my new Win 10 PC?

Hi Leo,

Storage Spaces not only increase storage over time as you add drivers to your PC, it will also help you in protecting your data from drive failures. To isolate your concern, we'd like to know if you were getting any error messages when trying
    to connect the external drive to your new PC. Also, can you tell us what troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to perform a diagnostic process on your system that will check and fix issues related to Storage Spaces. To do this, please follow the steps below:

• Type troubleshooting in the Search bar, then press
      Enter.
    • Click View all from the left pane.
    • Locate and click Hardware and Devices to run the troubleshooter then follow the next steps.

Furthermore, here is a link for more information about the Storage
    Spaces in Windows 10

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Eileen Gal, Jul 13, 2020
  3. Storage Spaces not showing on new PC

Hi chanhonam,

did you disconnect that drives from storage space?

Usually one may import dynamic disks on new PC but I'm afraid you'll need to rebuild storage space so data will be lost. This may depend of storage type.

Did you move drives according some procedure?

You may find some information in
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/win...
    thread.

Igor Leyko, Jul 13, 2020
  4. chanhonam Win User

Storage Spaces not showing on new PC

I had 3 'Storage Spaces' in mirror format on my PC, all working with no issues at all.

I purchased a new PC and proceeded to move the 'Storage Spaces' from the old PC. However after connecting the had drives, nothing shows up in Windows. I can see the drives in bios but Windows refuses to see the drives. I made sure Windows was updated in
    the new PC but still nothing.

I then tried the drives in the old PC and now that won't see the drives. I am not wanting to format or do anything drastic as the 'Storage Spaces' have data I am very keen to keep.

Hope someone can give me some advice.

chanhonam, Jul 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Moving Storage Space to new PC - media is write protected? - Similar Threads - Moving Storage Space

2. The media is write-protected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The media is write-protected: Good morning, I have issues removing write-protection from my USB flash drive. It has no hardware switch for enabling/disabling write-protection, • diskpart • list disk• sel disk 2• attrbites disk• Current Read-only State : Yes• attributes disk clear readonly reports "Disk...
  3. The media is write-protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The media is write-protected: Good morning, I have issues removing write-protection from my USB flash drive. It has no hardware switch for enabling/disabling write-protection, • diskpart • list disk• sel disk 2• attrbites disk• Current Read-only State : Yes• attributes disk clear readonly reports "Disk...
  4. this media is write protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    this media is write protected: I tried accessing the photos and I got the this media is write protected error and I looked up how to fix it and did it but it still says this media is write protected. The photos aren't from another device....
  5. this media is write protected

this media is write protected: I tried accessing the photos and I got the this media is write protected error and I looked up how to fix it and did it but it still says this media is write protected. The photos aren't from another device....
  6. Error Device media is write-protected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Error Device media is write-protected: Plugged a Kingston Data Traveler 3.0 USB Device into an HP Elitebook 8440p running Windows 10 Pro 20H2. Download sp73930.exe; launched the apt, select the option make a bootable USB Received message Error: Device media is wright-protected. [ATTACH] I did not setup wright...
  7. "Media is write protected"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Media is write protected": I was always able to click on an icon and view a photo on my PC. Now this message pops up. Please help. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-is-write-protected/aff97eae-a941-4807-8205-6caea7aea58a"
  8. The media is write protected.

The media is write protected.: I keep getting a strange error when I try to open PNG files in Photos, "The media is write protected." None of the files are read only, and I can edit them in any way I want, it only pops up when I try to open them in Photos. Any way to fix this?...
  9. Storage Spaces not showing on new PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces not showing on new PC: I had 3 'Storage Spaces' in mirror format on my PC, all working with no issues at all. I purchased a new PC and proceeded to move the 'Storage Spaces' from the old PC. However after connecting the had drives, nothing shows up in Windows. I can see the drives in bios but...
  10. Unable to set new owner on user. The media is write protected

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to set new owner on user. The media is write protected: Hi I had to reset Windows 10 due to a ransom ware attack. I mounted my backup using Aomei Backupper. I can view everything but my User files. When I select my User files I get the message: You don't currently have permission to access this folder. When I try to set...