Windows 10: moving temp folder location

Discus and support moving temp folder location in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I moved my system and user temp folder locations in the belief it would save so many writes to my SSD, not sure if it was a good idea or not.. now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by reddwarf4ever, Jan 16, 2017.

1. moving temp folder location

I moved my system and user temp folder locations in the belief it would save so many writes to my SSD, not sure if it was a good idea or not..

now have an error popup which mentions not being able to find the temp folder.....this could be because the partition i moved the temp folders to had some temporary issues.....want to move everything back as it was can someone help with the details, seems not to be a default button option
    thanks

:)

reddwarf4ever, Jan 16, 2017

2. Deleting temp files in Windows 10. Also computer slower with Windows 10.

Something I read a long time ago: Problem deleting temp folder files,

or ghost files u can't see. Move your temp folder to another location, then move back

to original location, or just leave in new location, then move back when problem

arises again.

HappyNowWithLinuxUbuntu, Jan 16, 2017
  3. JoeDun Win User
    ActSync 4.5 cannot sync favorites

Jack - After my last reply to you, I located the Mobile Favorites folder, moved everything to a Temp folder, and then one by one moved my Favorites folders back into the Mobile Favorites folder. Each time ActSync synchornized without a problem. So, problem
    solved! (Who knows the cause!). Thanks, -Joe

JoeDun, Jan 16, 2017
  4. topgundcp Win User

moving temp folder location

How did you move the temp folder(s) ? Normally you'd first create new temp folder(s) then set the environment variable(s) for USER/SYSTEM to point to the new temp folder(s) as shown:

moving temp folder location [​IMG]

If you moved the folder completely then just re-create it.

topgundcp, Jan 16, 2017
  5. Yes I created new temp folders then set the targets in environment variables.....thanks will now set back to normal....
    read somewhere moving to,a different HDD saves wear on the SSD boot, is this correct ?

had thought there was a tutorial for this, but couldn't find it

reddwarf4ever, Jan 17, 2017
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Not any longer really. Unless the SSD is a really old model.
    Besides, what about browser caches, paging files, etc. ? Plus the fact that Windows will then be writing to a much, much slower mechanical drive too.

Win some, loose some.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

moving temp folder location

1. moving temp folder location - Similar Threads - moving temp folder

2. Temp folder location for standard user

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Temp folder location for standard user: Hi, I have two users in my PC - 'admin' and 'me'. I use 'me' for normal use, and switch to 'admin' only if I need to do something specific.I have changed all temp paths, in environment variables, for 'admin' to point to 'c:\_Temp\'. When I login as 'me', different paths,...
  3. Can't move folder location

Can't move folder location: Hi, I recently sync with Onedrive. When I noticed that all my onedrive folders mixed with my local documents on my PC, I unlinked it and uninstalled it. >However, my documents folder is now C:\Users\User\OneDrive\Documents. >I clicked on restore default button which is the...
  4. Problems after changing TEMP folder's location

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problems after changing TEMP folder's location: Hi. I'm asking here because I have a problem with my windows installation. To avoid damaging my SSD by too much writing, I tried to change the location of the TEMP folder for the user and for windows itself. I already did this on another computer and everything went...
  5. Game DVR Capture folder moved to Temp folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Game DVR Capture folder moved to Temp folder: [ATTACH] My xbox game capture is in my temp folder and I want to move it, but cannot. Can anyone help me with this issue. https://preview.redd.it/lfhtowhptcn41.png?width=473&format=png&auto=webp&s=bb2269d1abc92733b73af6bde5e3f6a5ee319a1c submitted by /u/realjrjelly...
  6. Issues with profile as data moved to Temp folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issues with profile as data moved to Temp folder: Everything has been moved to a C:\Users\TEMP folder. When I copy files back to This PC's c: drive (i.e. Documents, Downloads) the files are being synchronized with the TEMP folder files. I don't see any update history - any idea what happened here? Is there some kind of...
  7. "Temp folder" mistakenly moved

"Temp folder" mistakenly moved: I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I believe this occurred upon restarting from a recent Win10 update. A notice popped up saying something about my "temp" folder getting full and asking my permission to move it. I had no idea what I was doing but figured they did,...
  8. Different temp location

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Different temp location: What's the difference between C/windows/temp Vs Appdata/local/temp Experts reply it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/different-temp-location/643dd8a4-36f4-4d3f-b66d-eabe2e01f6e7"
  9. location of temp folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    location of temp folder: I keep being notified by just about everything that my "temp" folder has gone walkabout. Where does it belong? Sam https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/location-of-temp-folder/9ca1783e-6abd-4fc1-9ab9-48822fdd507c
  10. Temp folder %temp %

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Temp folder %temp %: Hello I recently installed 2 updates from NVIDEA. I have run disc clean up and Ccleaner>Windows but this attachment says it all. I could use 'Unlocker' but do not want to do damage if the file should not be removed. Do you have any suggestions? TY Peter 43679