Windows 10: Moving Temp Windows Files Location after switching motherboard

Discus and support Moving Temp Windows Files Location after switching motherboard in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have 5 current drives on my PC. I have switched my temp windows files locations folder to my D: drive so my main C drive (480gb) does not get clogged... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/tytds, Dec 28, 2020.

1. /u/tytds Win User

Moving Temp Windows Files Location after switching motherboard

I have 5 current drives on my PC. I have switched my temp windows files locations folder to my D: drive so my main C drive (480gb) does not get clogged up. Before upgrading to a new motherboard, can i just switch the location of this folder to my C drive, install the new mobo, & just reactivate windows on that C drive? I've researched online that new iterations of Windows will automatically repair/recover necessary files so you don't have to reinstall Windows on your main drive after upgrading a new motherboard. The reason for moving the temp files location folder back to the main drive before an upgrade is the fact that when I reconnect the drives to the new motherboard, it may be assigned different letters/locations. I would like Windows to locate the temp folder correctly, so just moving the temp folder back to the main drive would be the best option.

submitted by /u/tytds
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/tytds, Dec 28, 2020

2. Temp file in File Explorer

Following a recent update, the Excel temp file shows up in File Explorer, as it should, but then it disappears, then pops up again, then disappears and pops up again, erratic but about every one or two seconds. As it appears at the top of the list, each
    time it appears it moves all files down a row, and it does it so fast it is difficult to click on any file below it, as they are all constantly moving up or down. The Word temp file stays there like it should. Suggestions?

LinwoodGilbert, Dec 28, 2020
  3. Temp Files : Runaway Creation

Hello Bruce,

Windows Temporary files are created by the operating system during the normal course of its running when there may not be enough memory allocated for the task.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to delete temporary files nad check if it helps:

Step 1

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type temp and click OK
    • Press Ctrl + A and click Delete

Step 2

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type %temp% and click OK

Step 3

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type prefetch and click OK

Get back to us, if you have further queries. We will be glad to help you.

Anju Thekkethil, Dec 28, 2020
  4. Naresh_K Win User

Internet Temp File Location missing in Internet Options?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have a clarity of the issue, we will need some more information. So kindly write back with the following information:

1. Where are you looking for the option
    2. Please
      post a screenshot
      of the missing Internet Temp File Location. Please make sure that no personal information is available in the screenshot.
    3. Which version of Windows are you using?

Meanwhile here are few things that you can try:

1. Open Internet Explorer and then click on Internet Options.
    2. Then click on Settings under Browsing history.
    3. You should be able to view the Current location. Default location should be: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\
    4. You can click on View files to view temp files.

For Microsoft Edge, please follow the suggestion provided in the article:
    What to do if Microsoft Edge isn't working.

Regards,

Naresh_K, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Moving Temp Windows Files Location after switching motherboard - Similar Threads - Moving Temp Files

2. Open file/folder location after Move To command

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Open file/folder location after Move To command: I would like to automatically "go to/open" the file/folder location in File Explorer Windows 10 after using the Move To command, like when I use the Extract To command. Is this a possible setting? Also, the taskbar won't open/pop up in the window after I use Move To or Copy...
  3. Windows 10 Activation after Motherboard switch

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation after Motherboard switch: I recently had to swap out my motherboard after the last one giving out. My windows is now inactivated and I am unable to activate again. I am able to run slmgr /ipk with my key and get a successful activation. When I try to run slmgr /ato I receive a script host error...
  4. BSoD after motherboard switch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSoD after motherboard switch: Hello ! So today I changed my motherboard from a MSI B450M-A PRO MAX to an AORUS B550 Elite. When I booted up my PC, everything seemed normal, but a few seconds after I sign in I get a BSoD with error code SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. My theory was and still is that old drivers...
  5. Different temp location

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Different temp location: What's the difference between C/windows/temp Vs Appdata/local/temp Experts reply it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/different-temp-location/643dd8a4-36f4-4d3f-b66d-eabe2e01f6e7"
  6. location of temp folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    location of temp folder: I keep being notified by just about everything that my "temp" folder has gone walkabout. Where does it belong? Sam https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/location-of-temp-folder/9ca1783e-6abd-4fc1-9ab9-48822fdd507c
  7. Windows 10 Activation after a motherboard switch.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation after a motherboard switch.: Hey everyone, before I switched my motherboard I got the free windows 10 upgrade from windows 7. After I switched it I now have a grey letter in the bottom right stating "Activate Windows go to setting to activate windows." Which I have tried doing so and I've used the option...
  8. Switching Motherboards

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switching Motherboards: I have a Pre-Built Omen by HP computer that came with Windows 10. I'm switching out the motherboard with a new one so I was wondering if I need to buy windows 10 product key or not. I know its an OEM version but in the Activation settings it say "Windows is activated with a...
  9. Are these motherboard temps normal?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Are these motherboard temps normal?: It's an old MSI MS-7525 Boston board and while running a pretty old game (the classic CS 1.6), Steam, YouTube playing some music in the background and Speccy because I monitor my temps, the motherboard reached 60 C, the number in Speccy even became red (It could've been even...
  10. moving temp folder location

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    moving temp folder location: I moved my system and user temp folder locations in the belief it would save so many writes to my SSD, not sure if it was a good idea or not.. now have an error popup which mentions not being able to find the temp folder.....this could be because the partition i moved the...