Windows 10: Moving the 'My Documents' folder (and others) to a different hard disk

Discus and support Moving the 'My Documents' folder (and others) to a different hard disk in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Folks! Having thoroughly sanitised the 5TB hard disk (subject of a couple of other threads on TenForums - see 5TB showing 561.53GB, Encrypting the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ArthurDent, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Moving the 'My Documents' folder (and others) to a different hard disk

Hi Folks!

Having thoroughly sanitised the 5TB hard disk (subject of a couple of other threads on TenForums - see 5TB showing 561.53GB, Encrypting the Windows System Disk and Drive encryption), I'd like to move the following folders from their current default location on C: drive to the data drive, D:

C: Desktop
    C: Documents
    C: Downloads
    C: Favourites
    C: Links
    C: Music
    C: Pictures
    C: Videos

Is it as simple as this ...

File Explorer > C: drive > Users > [username folder], right click on Documents > Properties

In the 'Location' tab, change the location from C:\Users\[username]\Documents to D:\Users\[username]\Documents then click 'Apply', click 'OK' and close the Properties box?

Then repeat the above process for the downloads/mucic/favourites/photos/videos/etc folders??

Or is there a better way to do it?

If there is a different way to do it, what are the pros & cons of each method?

I'm planning on having an area on the data disk for Windows documents (D: drive) and an area on the data disk for Linux documents (L: drive).

Given that the disk is 4.5TB (formatted), I was thinking of 3.5TB for Windows and 1TB for Linux as I'd do most of my computing stuff (w/p, pictures, video, etc) in Windows.

Sound like a plan? Any snags I haven't thought of?

I'd then like to encrypt the data partitions (or if having both the Windows and the Linux partitions encrypted would cause a conflict, just encrypt the data partition for the Windows documents and files).

VeraCrypt can encrypt the Windows data and automatically mount D: drive when Windows boots?

Never used encryption before - hence the concerns.

Art

:)

ArthurDent, Jun 30, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Suddenly, Documents folder has moved to Downloads

We appreciate the details you've provided. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to move your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10:

• You need to create a new folder named Documents at the location you want to move your personal Documents folder.
    • Press Win + E to open File Explorer, right-click
      Documents, and select Properties.
    • Select the Location tab and click the Move button.
    • Browse and select the new Documents folder at the location you want to move the folder Documents. Click the
      Select Folder.
    • Click OK to apply.
    • Click Yes to move all the files from the old location to the new location.
    • Your personal Documents folder and all of its contents will now be moved to the new location.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Is is possible to move the Documents and Settings to a seperate HDD

tweakui can move the separate "special" folders, but I don't think you can move the Documents and Settings folder itself with it. Everything inside the folder can be moved to a different place, partition, or hard drive if you wish though.

FatForester, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Moving the 'My Documents' folder (and others) to a different hard disk

Is is possible to move the Documents and Settings to a seperate HDD

Hey all, i have my computer up and running again. I was wondering if there was a way to move the Documents and Settings Folder off of the C: drive and to a separate Hard Drive. I know you can move the My Documents folder over but i don't know if its possible to move the whole documents and settings folder?

Any Help Would be appreciated

pepsi71ocean, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

Moving the 'My Documents' folder (and others) to a different hard disk

1. Moving the 'My Documents' folder (and others) to a different hard disk - Similar Threads - Moving 'My Documents'

2. Define hard disk for different profiles?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Define hard disk for different profiles?: Hi. Can hard disks be set to a Windows profile? For example my girlfriend wants to use the pc but should not delete the data from the SSD and my HDD or be able to access these hard drives. She would then get her own hard drive where she could store her pictures and etc....
  3. Moving images to a different folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving images to a different folder: Please advise how to move several images (Pictures) from an existing folder, in which they have been inadvertently placed, to the correct existing folder. Many thanks RayTJ...
  4. Deleting the windows folder on other hard disk

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleting the windows folder on other hard disk: Before buying a new SSD my windows was on other harddisk. How ever for better startup time i installed windows on my SSD aswell, while installing i didnt see option to remove windows from my other hard disk. How can i remove windows from my other hard disk?...
  5. Moving my Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving my Documents folder: Having an issue with space on my C:\ drive, so in Users\Tom\ right clicking on the Documents folder, clicking on the Location tab and selecting "Move". Filled in the new location N:\Users\Tom\Documents. System replied with a confirmation window confirming Old location and New...
  6. Problem moving Documents Folder to hard drive from SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem moving Documents Folder to hard drive from SSD: My SSD is filling up (it's 256gb) and so I decided to move the documents folder to the D: harddrive. I changed the location under Quick Access to D:\Documents. The system created the directory and moved the files. However, before the move there were 54gb of files and 2840...
  7. moving hard drive to a differant laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    moving hard drive to a differant laptop: Dog knocked over my laptop and now it doesn't work. Removed the hard deive and bought a used laptop as the broken one. what do I need to due to get the hard drive to run in the new laptop 85006
  8. Accidently moved my documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Accidently moved my documents folder: I was scrolling through my file explorer and I think I accidently dragged my Documents folder to the desktop folder. Now I'm not sure where it is supposed to be. When my usual scheduled backup ran, I received a message that this folder could not be backed up. The file...
  9. Cannot move documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move documents folder: I am trying to move my documents folder from the external drive I put it on before installing Win10. It looks like its going to move, then says its done but nothing has moved. Any ideas? 8188
  10. Unable to move location of My Documents or My Pictures folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to move location of My Documents or My Pictures folders: So currently when I go into "This PC" I have 6 icons at the top : Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures & Videos. As I'm running my OS off a 120gb SSD I typically store my documents/photos/videos etc on another drive, in this case my D drive. If I right click >...