Windows 10: Moving the 'My Documents' folder (and others) to a different hard disk

Discus and support Moving the 'My Documents' folder (and others) to a different hard disk in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Folks! Having thoroughly sanitised the 5TB hard disk (subject of a couple of other threads on TenForums - see 5TB showing 561.53GB, Encrypting the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ArthurDent, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Moving the 'My Documents' folder (and others) to a different hard disk

Hi Folks!

Having thoroughly sanitised the 5TB hard disk (subject of a couple of other threads on TenForums - see 5TB showing 561.53GB, Encrypting the Windows System Disk and Drive encryption), I'd like to move the following folders from their current default location on C: drive to the data drive, D:

C: Desktop
    C: Documents
    C: Downloads
    C: Favourites
    C: Links
    C: Music
    C: Pictures
    C: Videos

Is it as simple as this ...

File Explorer > C: drive > Users > [username folder], right click on Documents > Properties

In the 'Location' tab, change the location from C:\Users\[username]\Documents to D:\Users\[username]\Documents then click 'Apply', click 'OK' and close the Properties box?

Then repeat the above process for the downloads/mucic/favourites/photos/videos/etc folders??

Or is there a better way to do it?

If there is a different way to do it, what are the pros & cons of each method?

I'm planning on having an area on the data disk for Windows documents (D: drive) and an area on the data disk for Linux documents (L: drive).

Given that the disk is 4.5TB (formatted), I was thinking of 3.5TB for Windows and 1TB for Linux as I'd do most of my computing stuff (w/p, pictures, video, etc) in Windows.

Sound like a plan? Any snags I haven't thought of?

I'd then like to encrypt the data partitions (or if having both the Windows and the Linux partitions encrypted would cause a conflict, just encrypt the data partition for the Windows documents and files).

VeraCrypt can encrypt the Windows data and automatically mount D: drive when Windows boots?

Never used encryption before - hence the concerns.

Art

:)

ArthurDent, Jun 30, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Suddenly, Documents folder has moved to Downloads

We appreciate the details you've provided. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to move your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10:

• You need to create a new folder named Documents at the location you want to move your personal Documents folder.
    • Press Win + E to open File Explorer, right-click
      Documents, and select Properties.
    • Select the Location tab and click the Move button.
    • Browse and select the new Documents folder at the location you want to move the folder Documents. Click the
      Select Folder.
    • Click OK to apply.
    • Click Yes to move all the files from the old location to the new location.
    • Your personal Documents folder and all of its contents will now be moved to the new location.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Is is possible to move the Documents and Settings to a seperate HDD

tweakui can move the separate "special" folders, but I don't think you can move the Documents and Settings folder itself with it. Everything inside the folder can be moved to a different place, partition, or hard drive if you wish though.

FatForester, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Moving the 'My Documents' folder (and others) to a different hard disk

Is is possible to move the Documents and Settings to a seperate HDD

Hey all, i have my computer up and running again. I was wondering if there was a way to move the Documents and Settings Folder off of the C: drive and to a separate Hard Drive. I know you can move the My Documents folder over but i don't know if its possible to move the whole documents and settings folder?

Any Help Would be appreciated

pepsi71ocean, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

Moving the 'My Documents' folder (and others) to a different hard disk

1. Moving the 'My Documents' folder (and others) to a different hard disk - Similar Threads - Moving 'My Documents'

2. How to move folder from C:\ local disk to different hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move folder from C:\ local disk to different hard drive?: the common way to move a file on pc which has the "move" "location" property doesn't show on my end. I need an alternative way to move it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-folder-from-c-local-disk-to-different/937f674e-007d-44d0-9956-26a045122841
  3. How to move folder from C:\ local disk to different hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move folder from C:\ local disk to different hard drive?: the common way to move a file on pc which has the "move" "location" property doesn't show on my end. I need an alternative way to move it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-folder-from-c-local-disk-to-different/937f674e-007d-44d0-9956-26a045122841
  4. How to move folder from C:\ local disk to different hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Is there anyway to move the "My Documents" folder to another hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there anyway to move the "My Documents" folder to another hard drive: The reason why this is an issue is because my windows drive is almost full and there's no way to change were steam puts saves and world data. So, i need to move the entire folder to my other dtive which has around 556gb left while my c drive has about 19. So, is it even...
  6. Documents disappeared after moving them to hard disk?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents disappeared after moving them to hard disk?: I wanted to move my documents to a hard drive, as my SSD was already quite full. Then I selected L:\ and now the documents seem to have become a path to L:\. I cannot restore the default folder, then it says "Error creating the list of regular subdirectories under L:\System...
  7. Need to move AppData folder from SSD onto other Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Need to move AppData folder from SSD onto other Hard Disk: It's been about a year since i built my rig, and since i decided i had more experience working with everything, and keeping it clean, I've decided to hit the good old reset computer button in windows settings, just for a clean slate. I've not yet installed any programs, just...
  8. Deleting the windows folder on other hard disk

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleting the windows folder on other hard disk: Before buying a new SSD my windows was on other harddisk. How ever for better startup time i installed windows on my SSD aswell, while installing i didnt see option to remove windows from my other hard disk. How can i remove windows from my other hard disk?...
  9. Moving my Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving my Documents folder: Having an issue with space on my C:\ drive, so in Users\Tom\ right clicking on the Documents folder, clicking on the Location tab and selecting "Move". Filled in the new location N:\Users\Tom\Documents. System replied with a confirmation window confirming Old location and New...
  10. Accidently moved my documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Accidently moved my documents folder: I was scrolling through my file explorer and I think I accidently dragged my Documents folder to the desktop folder. Now I'm not sure where it is supposed to be. When my usual scheduled backup ran, I received a message that this folder could not be backed up. The file...