Windows 10: Moving the "Pictures" folder to a new drive

Discus and support Moving the "Pictures" folder to a new drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I recently installed a new harddrive and wanted to move the "Pictures", "Documents" etc. folders to that drive. I tried just going into the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by OB_Bodda, Jan 12, 2020.

1. OB_Bodda Win User

Moving the "Pictures" folder to a new drive

Hello,

I recently installed a new harddrive and wanted to move the "Pictures", "Documents" etc. folders to that drive. I tried just going into the "Pictures" folders properties and selected my new drive without a folder so I moved it from "C:\users\account" to just the new drive "E:". This in turn seemed to just create a shortcut to all the folders on that drive when really what I was after was moving the entire "Pictures" folder to that new drive like you would any other folder. Is there an actual way to this and if I try to move the "Pictures" folder now will it move all my files on that drive?
    I'm just concerned that all the files on my new drive is now associated with that folder and that moving it would case all the files on the new harddrive to also move in turn.

Thanks for any help given!

:)

OB_Bodda, Jan 12, 2020
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. Olszanski Win User
    Cannot move "Pictures" Folder

Let me first apologize for this long thread. I wanted to be accurate with the issue at hand. I have recently installed a new hard drive, with the intent of moving the "Pictures" folder to it, and using it primarily for this purpose given that my current
    disk is nearly full (due to photos). I have tried to move the folder by selecting it, opening properties -- location tab, and move. Current hard drive is "E:\Users\Christine\Pictures" and so I created a folder on my new G drive as "G:\Pictures", selected this
    folder and started the move. This moved 2 terabytes of data (the size of my original pictures folder), but when it completed, it stated that the operation failed, possibly because a file name had too many characters (I am sorry, I do not have the exact wording
    but that is close). It stated the operation was "Cancelled by the user", but that is not accurate -- I did not cancel it at all. When I look at my G drive, the drive appears to contain all the pictures I intended to move. At least, when comparing what is still
    in the original E drive location, and the G drive, the setup looks identical. I compared these by adjusting the screen size to look the same on two monitors, and scrolled through the folders, mirroring the action. Every row contains the same folder, and the
    apparent same images in each folder. When I open the "Properties" of each respective folder, I notice that they have the near the same size (2.19 TB each but 2,417,043,883,896 bytes on E and 2,417,043,877,748 bytes on G) . I did receive one message that a
    file could not be copied and I needed to skip this file. The E: drive Contains 699,744 Files, 29,285 Folders and G: contains 699,743 Files, 29,285 Folders, so I only lost one photo, apparently (I can live with that!). When I open each respective folder, the
    original E: drive folder still has a "locations" tab -- indicating that it can be moved, but the new G: drive folder does not have a "locations" tab. I suspect, then, that the computer still sees the E: drive folder as the primary pictures folder and would
    store new picture in it. Can I somehow "tell" the computer (perhaps registry edit), that the G: drive "Pictures" folder is the new default so that I can delete the E: Pictures folder? Thank you for looking at this and offering suggestions/solutions. I certainly
    appreciate it.

Olszanski, Jan 12, 2020
  4. Moving the "Pictures" folder to a new drive

Moving folders with pictures

I figured this would go here.

So, in Windows XP, is there any way to move folders with pictures, and still preserve the order of the pictures? When you move it rearranges everything into alphabetical order, and that's not really helpful seeing as I don't name my files alphabetically.

AngryMerchant, Jan 12, 2020
Thema:

Moving the "Pictures" folder to a new drive

1. Moving the "Pictures" folder to a new drive - Similar Threads - Moving Pictures folder

2. Moving Documents/Pictures/etc folders between drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Documents/Pictures/etc folders between drives: I've recently got a new laptop with SSD and HDD. When the laptop arrived, all the user library folders such as Documents, Pictures etc were set up to be on the C: drive SSD, all linked to OneDrive. I wanted to move them on the the HDD, which is something I've managed fine on...
  3. Moving Windows Store folders to a new hard drive

Moving Windows Store folders to a new hard drive: I have a real issue with trying to move data from one external hard drive to another. Here is the issue: My Seagate 4TB drive is starting to fail. It will not safely dismount, and fails diagnostics. It is still readable and writable. Unfortunately, since the original...
  4. Moved my pictures folder location to my H drive but forgot to creat the PICTURES folder....

Moved my pictures folder location to my H drive but forgot to creat the PICTURES folder....: I Moved my pictures folder location to my H drive but forgot to creat the PICTURES folder. Now my picture location is literaly all of my H drive, photos videos, files all included. I am now stock with my H drive as my pictures folder, is there way to correct it? Thank you....
  5. Moving user folder to new Drive

Moving user folder to new Drive: Hi I have just bought a new PC that has 2 drives never had this before. The C Drive is the SSD which is small and then it has a D Drive which is 2 TB. I wanted to move my User folders to the D drive . I thought I had done it but it hasnt worked properly. On the C drive my...
  6. Moving pictures from pictures folder to photo app folder

Moving pictures from pictures folder to photo app folder: How do move a picture that is in a Folder in Pictures in my File Explorer to a folder in my Photos App. I can't drag it or copy and paste it, so is there some way to do this?...
  7. Questions about moving Picture, Document folders to secondary drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Questions about moving Picture, Document folders to secondary drive: Hello, I have a new Windows 10 Pro laptop with a SSD for the OS and a 1 TB hard drive for storage. I have been trying to follow the tutorial How to Move Your Pictures Folder Location in Windows 10 to move the documents, music, and pictures folders to the 1TB drive, without...
  8. Cannot move "Pictures" Folder

Cannot move "Pictures" Folder: Let me first apologize for this long thread. I wanted to be accurate with the issue at hand. I have recently installed a new hard drive, with the intent of moving the "Pictures" folder to it, and using it primarily for this purpose given that my current disk is nearly full...
  9. How do I move "pictures" folder to a different drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I move "pictures" folder to a different drive?: My Pictures folder currently resides as a subfolder to my C:\OneDrive. I have a second, larger E:\ data drive and I want to move my Picture folder there. When I try by clicking on Pictures/Properties/Location and choose a folder I get the message shown below. I've tried...
  10. I've moved shared Pictures folder to another drive but didn't name it

in Windows 10 Support
    I've moved shared Pictures folder to another drive but didn't name it: Hello, I recently upgraded to Windows 10, Put OS onto SSD along with a few other essentials and have a second hard drive for storage. The shared Pictures, Videos, Documents (etc) folders were all by default on my relatively small SSD. Figured out how to move location of...