Windows 10: Moving the Public Folders to another drive under Windows 10

Discus and support Moving the Public Folders to another drive under Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm asking this question on this site as I posted the same query on the Microsoft support forum and got, what I assume to be, a scam response to call a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BorderReiver, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Moving the Public Folders to another drive under Windows 10

I'm asking this question on this site as I posted the same query on the Microsoft support forum and got, what I assume to be, a scam response to call a US number. I'm raising it in parallel to another one I raised to resolve an issue I have with Windows Media Player which continuously loses its library settings as I think the two problems may be related.

I installed a bootable SSD on my PC and remapped the existing HDD to hold just my data (I've called it my M: drive). Following one of numerous threads that I must have read, I eventually managed to work out how to move the location of the Public folders to the HDD - by running File explorer in safe mode and using the move location button under the location tab. That seemed to work well. However, I now notice that Windows seems to have recreated my Public folders on the C: drive. This time, if I boot into safe mode, there is no location tab on these folders to even try to replicate the process. I'm sure this is related to the problems I'm having with WMP - whereby it keeps resorting to using the public folders on the C: drive rather than the M: drive.

What process is likely to have recreated the public folders on the C: Drive? How can I stop it recurring?
    How can I ensure that these folders on the C: drive are ignored on only the public folders on the M: drive are considered?

Thanks
    BR

:)

BorderReiver, Jul 28, 2018

2. Duplicate Public Folders

Hope this helps someone identify the problem.

• Q: What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • A: Nothing. They're successfully deleted.

• Q: Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
      • A: Only the default Public Folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos).
      • A: All of the Public Folders have customized folder icons.
      • A: The above image shows yellow, empty folder icons (duplicates).

• Q: Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?
      • Actually, this has been a problem since Windows 7.
      • What I noticed then is that certain Windows programs created the duplicates:
        • Windows Media Player (stopped using)
        • Internet Explorer (stopped using)
        • Plus others, which I can't recall.
      • Only certain programs for Windows 10, as well:
        • Microsoft Edge (don't use it often)
        • Groove Music (never intentionally use it)
        • Plus others, which I haven't tracked.
          • I only notice it when I go to Public Folders.
          • By then, I've long since forgotten what was accessed.
      • I've googled for answers but most of those only address
        moving the Public Folders to another Drive.

PQSC.Programmer, Jul 28, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 28, 2018
  4. Moving the Public Folders to another drive under Windows 10

cannot find public documents folder in Windows 10

Good day,

On Windows Explorer in Windows 7, the 'Public Documents' folder is listed under 'Libraries\Documents'. The 'Public Documents' folder is not listed at all on the Navigation column in Windows 10.

Is there a way to configure in Windows 10 to show Public Documents folder in the navigation column?

Thank you.

ganwilliam, Jul 28, 2018
Thema:

Moving the Public Folders to another drive under Windows 10

1. Moving the Public Folders to another drive under Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Moving Public Folders

2. moving windows apps to another drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    moving windows apps to another drive: hi, I have moved an app from the windows drive to another drive to keep my windows drive free but when I checked the windows apps folder on the windows drive it now has the app listed as a shortcut folder but the app is still taking up space on the windows drive even though...
  3. Move OneDrive to another drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move OneDrive to another drive?: I have bought a pc with a 64GB eMMC drive but have OneDrive set up to keep files (mostly photos) locally as well as on the Cloud, which uses a lot of disk space. Can I just move the OneDrive folder to an installed 128GB SD card?...
  4. How to move a program files folder from C drive to another drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to move a program files folder from C drive to another drive: Hello Peepz My first post so hello to all. I have a windows 10 pc (x64) hence me joining the community ;-) I have a samsung 850 evo 250GB SSD ( C Drive ) & a Seagate FireCuda SSHD 1TB ( D drive ) I'm in a predicament where my kids play a lot of games on the PC, Fortnite being...
  5. Moving files into folders puts them under Recent folders.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Moving files into folders puts them under Recent folders.: I have the option "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar" off. However since the last update whenever I either copy or move a file into any folder windows puts that folder under the Recent group in the taskbar. Is there any way to fix this? 30778
  6. Windows 10 Public Folder Not Seen

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Public Folder Not Seen: Upgraded one of my PC's yesterday(7/29) from 7 Home Premium to 10. Now the other two PC"S in my home, both 8.1, cannot see the public folder of the 10 PC. 10 can see the 8.1 just fine. Tried typing to users/public into the explorer address bar and got an 0x80004005 error...
  7. Moved drive to another computer - won't boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Moved drive to another computer - won't boot: Hi all, I am trying to move a drive with Windows 10 Pro x86 from a dell 755 to a 7010. Win10 boots fine when I put it in a 745, 755, or 780, but not the 7010. The 7010 is set for Legacy ACHI. All I get is a blue logo and the spinning circle dots. Does the same in safe mode....
  8. I've moved shared Pictures folder to another drive but didn't name it

in Windows 10 Support
    I've moved shared Pictures folder to another drive but didn't name it: Hello, I recently upgraded to Windows 10, Put OS onto SSD along with a few other essentials and have a second hard drive for storage. The shared Pictures, Videos, Documents (etc) folders were all by default on my relatively small SSD. Figured out how to move location of...
  9. Moving shortcut to another folder drops icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving shortcut to another folder drops icon: This is my first week with Windows 10 and I'm just starting to install my software. Usually I move the desktop shortcut created from software installation to a custom folder where I keep all my shortcuts organized by category. In Windows 10, if I move the shortcut from the...
  10. Can't move Music folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't move Music folder to another drive: I'm trying to move all of my documents to a new hard drive and I successfully did it with all of them except for the "Music" folder; each time I try to move it to a new location I get this error message: [img] Is there a way to correct this? 42626