Windows 10: Moving the Public Folders to another drive under Windows 10

Discus and support Moving the Public Folders to another drive under Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm asking this question on this site as I posted the same query on the Microsoft support forum and got, what I assume to be, a scam response to call a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BorderReiver, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Moving the Public Folders to another drive under Windows 10

I'm asking this question on this site as I posted the same query on the Microsoft support forum and got, what I assume to be, a scam response to call a US number. I'm raising it in parallel to another one I raised to resolve an issue I have with Windows Media Player which continuously loses its library settings as I think the two problems may be related.

I installed a bootable SSD on my PC and remapped the existing HDD to hold just my data (I've called it my M: drive). Following one of numerous threads that I must have read, I eventually managed to work out how to move the location of the Public folders to the HDD - by running File explorer in safe mode and using the move location button under the location tab. That seemed to work well. However, I now notice that Windows seems to have recreated my Public folders on the C: drive. This time, if I boot into safe mode, there is no location tab on these folders to even try to replicate the process. I'm sure this is related to the problems I'm having with WMP - whereby it keeps resorting to using the public folders on the C: drive rather than the M: drive.

What process is likely to have recreated the public folders on the C: Drive? How can I stop it recurring?
    How can I ensure that these folders on the C: drive are ignored on only the public folders on the M: drive are considered?

Thanks
    BR

:)

BorderReiver, Jul 28, 2018

2. Duplicate Public Folders

Hope this helps someone identify the problem.

• Q: What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • A: Nothing. They're successfully deleted.

• Q: Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
      • A: Only the default Public Folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos).
      • A: All of the Public Folders have customized folder icons.
      • A: The above image shows yellow, empty folder icons (duplicates).

• Q: Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?
      • Actually, this has been a problem since Windows 7.
      • What I noticed then is that certain Windows programs created the duplicates:
        • Windows Media Player (stopped using)
        • Internet Explorer (stopped using)
        • Plus others, which I can't recall.
      • Only certain programs for Windows 10, as well:
        • Microsoft Edge (don't use it often)
        • Groove Music (never intentionally use it)
        • Plus others, which I haven't tracked.
          • I only notice it when I go to Public Folders.
          • By then, I've long since forgotten what was accessed.
      • I've googled for answers but most of those only address
        moving the Public Folders to another Drive.

PQSC.Programmer, Jul 28, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 28, 2018
  4. Moving the Public Folders to another drive under Windows 10

cannot find public documents folder in Windows 10

Good day,

On Windows Explorer in Windows 7, the 'Public Documents' folder is listed under 'Libraries\Documents'. The 'Public Documents' folder is not listed at all on the Navigation column in Windows 10.

Is there a way to configure in Windows 10 to show Public Documents folder in the navigation column?

Thank you.

ganwilliam, Jul 28, 2018
Thema:

Moving the Public Folders to another drive under Windows 10

1. Moving the Public Folders to another drive under Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Moving Public Folders

2. Moving desktop folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving desktop folder to another drive: Hi all. I have just had to reinstall windoes due booting problems. I want to move desktop, documents folders etc to another drive. I know how to do it right click, properties, location, move but the issue I have is that I already have these folders on another drive due to the...
  3. Moving desktop folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving desktop folder to another drive: Hi all. I have just had to reinstall windoes due booting problems. I want to move desktop, documents folders etc to another drive. I know how to do it right click, properties, location, move but the issue I have is that I already have these folders on another drive due to the...
  4. Moving desktop folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Moving Windows 10 to another drive

Moving Windows 10 to another drive: I recently reset my pc and windows got installed on the hdd instead of the ssd. I need to move it, because it's much slower now than before. So how do i do just that? How do i move windows 10 to another drive?...
  6. Moving Folders to Another Drive

Moving Folders to Another Drive: I wanted to move some folders to another drive and found this article, https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-move-your-default-data-folders-to-a-different-drive/#:~:text=To%20make%20the%20move%2C%20open,new%20location%20for%20that%20folder.I followed the steps to move...
  7. Desktop Folder move to another drive trouble

Desktop Folder move to another drive trouble: Good morning everyone. I mess up and i change the desktop and the download files from C to D and it doesn't show me the downloads file. I choose only the D driver and didn't make a desktop file. Its exactly the same problem from here...
  8. Moving windows 10 to another drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving windows 10 to another drive: Hi all, So I installed a NVMe drive on my desktop computer. My windows 10 install right now is on a SATA drive, and I would like to move it to my NVMe drive as I want to get faster load times and all. Any ideas? The only way I know of is to totally reinstall windows, which...
  9. Move appdata folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move appdata folder to another drive: I was wondering if it was possible to move the appdata folder to a drive different from c, since I have a small ssd and I want to free up some space. I've red that changing its path could break some programs so I wanted to know what do you think about it and if you know other...
  10. Moving Public Folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Public Folder to another drive: I have been asked to install an HDD in a church pc which only has a 224GB SanDisk SSD which is running out of space. The problem I can foresee is that the church uses an application called SongPro which insists to install in the C:\Users\Programs File (x86) and the data files...