Windows 10: Moving the taskbar rearranges my desktop icons + saves the configuration somehow

Discus and support Moving the taskbar rearranges my desktop icons + saves the configuration somehow in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a 2 monitor setup and have been having a ton of issues lately with my desktop icons rearranging when my monitors go to sleep. I've read a bunch... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bruceleroy99, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Moving the taskbar rearranges my desktop icons + saves the configuration somehow

I have a 2 monitor setup and have been having a ton of issues lately with my desktop icons rearranging when my monitors go to sleep. I've read a bunch of threads on making sure windows is up-to-date (the standard default solution), removing registry keys, and updating my nVidia drivers to no avail.

After my most recent attempt to fix the issue I noticed that it happens when the taskbar itself moves - which was also happening when my monitor goes to sleep. I always put my taskbar on monitor #2 but when it wakes up the taskbar is on #1 and the icons are all out of order. I recently rearranged the icons before moving the taskbar from #1 to #2 and lo and behold moving it to #2 made them all out of order again! Upon realizing this I moved the taskbar back to #1 and voila - the icons were back in order.

Moving the taskbar between my monitors consistently reproduces the issue, however when I moved the taskbar to #2 and started rearranging them again and then moved the taskbar back nothing happened. After moving the taskbar back from #1 to #2 again it reverted to the original messed up order.

So, upon investigation it appears that moving my taskbar from #2 to #1 (e.g. every time my monitors go to sleep) is overriding and saving the icon arrangement I had set up, and then moving it from #1 to #2 is somehow loading an unknown icon configuration from somewhere that I can't figure out how to change. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on here or how to fix it? Is this some stale registry data issue of some sort?

submitted by /u/bruceleroy99
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/bruceleroy99, Jul 6, 2020
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

My desktop icons move to a grid on the left for no reason

Hello,

If your icons are aligned to a grid, this means that the settings of your desktop are currently auto arranged and automatically aligned. Since you want to rearrange your desktop icons on however you like them, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Right-click at a blank area on your desktop.
    • Hover on View.
    • In the right pane, look for Auto arrange icons. If it's checked, make sure to uncheck it.
    • Hover again on View.
    • This time, look for Align icons to grid. If it's checked, make sure to uncheck it.

After doing these steps, you'll be able to rearrange all your desktop icons again on how you want it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Jul 6, 2020
  3. Desktop icons rearrange at random

Hi,

In order for us to find out what causes your screen to go blank and rearrange the desktop icons, we would like to gather more information:

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • When did you start experiencing this issue?

Regards.

Dennis Mop, Jul 6, 2020
  4. m3lis Win User

Moving the taskbar rearranges my desktop icons + saves the configuration somehow

Desktop icons keep rearranging

Hello,

My desktop icons keep rearranging and windows explorer won't save the position I put them in.

I can rearrange them but when I click 'Refresh' or if I restart explorer or if I reboot they rearrange to another setup. This happens in both normal mode and safe mode.

I have tried all the solutions available on the internet with no luck, including the obvious ones (trying all the auto-arrange and grid options) and even some more complex ones (sfc, registry tweaks).

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you

m3lis, Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

Moving the taskbar rearranges my desktop icons + saves the configuration somehow

1. Moving the taskbar rearranges my desktop icons + saves the configuration somehow - Similar Threads - Moving taskbar rearranges

2. how to rearrange ICONs on the taskbar, NOT move the taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to rearrange ICONs on the taskbar, NOT move the taskbar: Taskbar icons are rearranged by Windows monthly updates. I had them in the alignment I wished. I find instructions only for moving the taskbar, which I want to keep on the bottom where it has always been. I wish just to rearrange the icons as we can do with desktop tile...
  3. how to rearrange ICONs on the taskbar, NOT move the taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to rearrange ICONs on the taskbar, NOT move the taskbar: Taskbar icons are rearranged by Windows monthly updates. I had them in the alignment I wished. I find instructions only for moving the taskbar, which I want to keep on the bottom where it has always been. I wish just to rearrange the icons as we can do with desktop tile...
  4. move a Icon from taskbar to desktop

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    move a Icon from taskbar to desktop: Move a Icon from taskbar and pace it on my desktop . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-a-icon-from-taskbar-to-desktop/968a7476-d68c-440f-afad-e6b6658e21ce
  5. Desktop Icons rearranging

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons rearranging: I have a user who is using dual monitors and their desktop icons always revert back to the main monitor on restart. I logged in and moved icons around and restarted and everything was where i moved it. So this appears to be user specific. I am assuming their is something that...
  6. rearrange icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    rearrange icons on desktop: On my Win 10 desktop I can move icons to any part of the grid with a left click-hold and drag. The setting is "Align icons to grid". My wife's Win 10 will not let the icon move at all. What needs to change...
  7. Desktop icons keep rearranging

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop icons keep rearranging: when i rearrange position of the icon it will amass icon in 1 point, i have checked align icon to grid but it just like that again,don't know how to fix it[ATTACH] ***Changed title from Error icons***...
  8. Move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop?: Is there a way to make W10 move an Icon from the Taskbar to the Desktop? I could do this in W8.1 although I was using Start8. This has become a minor issue with W10 since when I install an update to a program (reinstall a newer version) the "old" Icon in the Taskbar...
  9. Desktop icons keep rearranging

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons keep rearranging: Hello, My desktop icons keep rearranging and windows explorer won't save the position I put them in. I can rearrange them but when I click 'Refresh' or if I restart explorer or if I reboot they rearrange to another setup. This happens in both normal mode and safe mode....
  10. Icons on Desktop move when saved

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons on Desktop move when saved: Hi This might seem like a trivial problem compared to some of the others on this site, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix my icon problem. I have icons for certain files - word and excel, that I arrange in convenient places on the desktop. If I edit these then...