Windows 10: Moving the Windows.old directory

Discus and support Moving the Windows.old directory in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a C partition which is not very large. So when there was a recent windows update and windows created the windows.old directory my space on the C... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ichbinseh, Sep 28, 2020.

1. ichbinseh Win User

Moving the Windows.old directory

I have a C partition which is not very large. So when there was a recent windows update and windows created the windows.old directory my space on the C partition got small. So I thought it was a good idea to move the windows.old directory to another partition.

This was apparently a very bad idea.

1. Windows had a blocking error moving some of the trustedinstaller files. So I had to cancel the move from C to D

The result was that approximately half of the content was moved from C to D

2. I tried to make it clean again and tried to move the stuff back from D to C merge? -> Yes

There was again a blocking error messsage and windows did not allow me to move the files back.

3. I tried to use the windows disc cleanup tool to remove the remaining content on C but the previous installation of windows was not listed in the tool. So this did not help.

4. I tried to delete the windows.old directory with admin privileges but the system stays in state calculating.

The strict permission scheme of windows which can often be a safety feature now works against me. Now this windows.old is in an inconsistent state.

Can you please help? How can I clean up my windows.old directory /directories?

:)

ichbinseh, Sep 28, 2020

2. Directory Size Utility

Change Log v1.6

• Resoved an issue where selecting "Detail" from the "View" drop down would cause duplicates.
    • New "Peek" feature!
      • Selecting something in the Directory column in the Directory view (Left window) while holding "z" will peek into that directory!
      • Double clicking the Directory column in the directory view(Left window) while holding "z" will add the folder.
    • New color coded feature in both Size columns for Detailed view.
    • Exporting to Excel will now Export both Folder (left) and File (right) window. In the excel file the Folder, and File window will be on different sheets.
    • Add a feature to export to older excel 97-2003 (.xls) from the file/export drop down window.
    Download HERE!

Don't forget to enter to win this game bundle! here Drawing is this Friday!

Mindweaver, Sep 28, 2020
  3. hellrazor Win User
    Survey Reveals Companies' Early Windows 8 Reactions and Plans

Bull fucking shit.

hellrazor, Sep 28, 2020
  4. Snuh23 Win User

Windows 10 - Documents directory moved once , but cannot be moved again.

Hi,

To save space on my C: drive, I moved my Documents directory to another new, otherwise empty drive (GMoving the Windows.old directory :) using the right click - properties - location - move
    option on the original Documents directory under "This PC". This moved it ok, but I then realised that I had moved everything to the root of the new drive instead of into a new "Documents" directory. I now have a "G:\" item showing under "This
    PC" instead of "Documents" but otherwise everything seems to work ok. However, I need to fix this as I also want to move other libraries such as Pictures etc to the G: drive as well.

So, I thought I would undo this by moving it back to where it was then move it again to the new target properly. However, I cannot get this to work.:

• I create a new "Documents" sub directory in my user directory in c:\users.
    • I use the right click - properties - location - move on the current location ("G:\" under "This PC") and select the new Documents directory I created in the step above as the new location.
    • I click "OK" and get the warning message recommending that all files are moved, and I click "OK" again.
    • I then get an "access denied" message and nothing is moved.

My user ID is in the administrators group. I have tried this again to another drive, and I have even given my user ID specific full access privileges to the target drive just in case. However, I the same "access denied" issue noted above every time,
    and I have discovered the following:

• After I click "OK" on the "Access Denied" message, I check the target directory and it no longer seems to be there.
    • I can see the target directory again if I deselect the "Hide protected operating system files" setting for the drive.
    • The target drive is set to "Hidden" and seems to have been assigned as a protected operating system directory by the move process. I assume this happens before anything is actually moved and this results in the "access denied" issue.

This happens every time. I have created several new test target directories across a few different data only drives. Before I try the move, the directory is not hidden (or seen as a protected operating system directory), but as soon as I try the move,
    it is then set as hidden etc and the move fails. I can manually copy files in to these new directories ok but the move process fails every time.

Any ideas?

Snuh23, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Moving the Windows.old directory - Similar Threads - Moving old directory

2. Using MOVE in command window to rename a directory causes directory to be moved to a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using MOVE in command window to rename a directory causes directory to be moved to a...: Using MOVE in a cmd window to rename directories. move "D:/M/FLAC files/066 - Secular Cantatas, BWV 210, 211 [FLAC] {R}" "066 - Secular Cantatas, BWV 210, 211 [FLAC]" The directory was renamed and moved to D:/ not renamed in situ. Do I not understand the move command?...
  3. Using MOVE in command window to rename a directory causes directory to be moved to a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using MOVE in command window to rename a directory causes directory to be moved to a...: Using MOVE in a cmd window to rename directories. move "D:/M/FLAC files/066 - Secular Cantatas, BWV 210, 211 [FLAC] {R}" "066 - Secular Cantatas, BWV 210, 211 [FLAC]" The directory was renamed and moved to D:/ not renamed in situ. Do I not understand the move command?...
  4. Using MOVE in command window to rename a directory causes directory to be moved to a...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. OneDrive moves desktop directory: why?????

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive moves desktop directory: why?????: Why on earth does OneDrive on factory default windows move the desktop from c:\users into a OneDrive folder? If you are going to force the default OneDrive setup to make users do a desktop backup, surely MOVING their desktop directory is the most braindead possible way of...
  6. Windows Can't Move a Directory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Can't Move a Directory: Once again, Microsoft Windows 10 can't achieve trivial tasks without expanding into that all-too-familar circle of dung. Today's issue is that a directory cannot be moved. There are no pending syncs - OneDrive claims it is up to date. All files in the directory were created...
  7. Unintentional directory move in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Unintentional directory move in Windows Explorer: Too often I move unintentionnaly a subdirectory with a bad mouse move. Is there any way to avoid this? I would be happy if a subdirectory move in Windows Explorer would only happen after a confirmation click. I use Windows 10, 2004 version. Any idea ? Thanks 162874
  8. Moving a Directory to Storage Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving a Directory to Storage Drive: I'm quite sure many people move a Directory to a Storage Drive so some software will act appropriately, like Pictures for instance. Some computers even come with an SSD and a Storage drive OOTB, but they don't put any Directories on the Storage Drive. My question is, how...
  9. move user directory stange problem after moving

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    move user directory stange problem after moving: Hi On win7 i did the following. And i found it musch easyer then what is in the tutorials Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums Did some nows if it works on win 10. On windows 7 i did the following Did a full installation. Than i boot...
  10. Window old directory in C drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Window old directory in C drive: Hi All, After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the free upgrade program from MS, the old windows 7 installation has been moved a folder call Windows.old. I am not sure if this is for reverting back to Windows 7 in case Windows 10 installation fails or for some...