Windows 10: Moving the Windows.old folder

Discus and support Moving the Windows.old folder in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After updating windows 10, performance has become slower than the previous version before update. I tried to move the Windows.old folder after update.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dolilur Rahman, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Moving the Windows.old folder

After updating windows 10, performance has become slower than the previous version before update. I tried to move the Windows.old folder after update. I thought that this might improve the performance of the pc. However, in the middle of moving process, I cancelled it. Now, checking the folder on C drive, it seems to have 193,652 files and 40,110 Folders having a size of 29.6 GB. I can not exactly remember what was these amounts before I started moving.

Now, I want to go back to the previous windows version before update, how can I know if there could be any problem? Is my windows.old folder still ok?

:)

Dolilur Rahman, Dec 5, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Suddenly, Documents folder has moved to Downloads

We appreciate the details you've provided. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to move your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10:

• You need to create a new folder named Documents at the location you want to move your personal Documents folder.
    • Press Win + E to open File Explorer, right-click
      Documents, and select Properties.
    • Select the Location tab and click the Move button.
    • Browse and select the new Documents folder at the location you want to move the folder Documents. Click the
      Select Folder.
    • Click OK to apply.
    • Click Yes to move all the files from the old location to the new location.
    • Your personal Documents folder and all of its contents will now be moved to the new location.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Dec 5, 2020
  3. Moved a folder from another drive and rename and it still shows as the old folder name in certain places

Hi Nick,

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check the behavior.

• Create a new folder name it as 'My Videos'.
    • Now copy/cut and paste the contents which are in the folder "Videos", and delete the folder "Videos".
    • Now check the behavior.
    Please keep us updated with the status of the folder, to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Dec 5, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Moving the Windows.old folder

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

Kari, Dec 5, 2020
Thema:

Moving the Windows.old folder

1. Moving the Windows.old folder - Similar Threads - Moving old folder

2. Windows old folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows old folder: I have updated Windows 10 to Windows 11 online. There is a folder contained named "Windows.old" which is occupied more than 14 GB of data. May I delete the folder? Please advise me....
  3. Windows old folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows old folder: I have updated Windows 10 to Windows 11 online. There is a folder contained named "Windows.old" which is occupied more than 14 GB of data. May I delete the folder? Please advise me....
  4. Move files from an old OneDrive folder on my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move files from an old OneDrive folder on my PC: Dear community!I have a problem as follows:On my own personal computer, I have a user also my own which I don't use anymore, and I forgot the login information to it. But there are some data I found out I don't want to lose. If I try to copy them, windows say I can't...
  5. Moving an existing folder to a new drive keeping old FileHistory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving an existing folder to a new drive keeping old FileHistory: Hello,I have a windows 10 pc.I have a new 1tb ssd and i want to move a folder from an old hdd D:\Users\Image to the new drive let's say K:\Users\Image.This folder is currently on the list of folders that are backed up with Start > Settings > Update & Security > Backup to an...
  6. Moving an existing folder to a new drive keeping old FileHistory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving an existing folder to a new drive keeping old FileHistory: Hello,I have a windows 10 pc.I have a new 1tb ssd and i want to move a folder from an old hdd D:\Users\Image to the new drive let's say K:\Users\Image.This folder is currently on the list of folders that are backed up with Start > Settings > Update & Security > Backup to an...
  7. Moving an existing folder to a new drive keeping old FileHistory

8. How to remove old folders in "move to" and "copy to" function.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove old folders in "move to" and "copy to" function.: The list of folders and files that I have either "copied" or "moved" a file to is long and contains locations that I haven't used in a very long time. I would like to either clear the list selectively or totally, if necessary. Replies to similar questions that I can find in...
  9. How to remove old folders in "move to" and "copy to" function.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove old folders in "move to" and "copy to" function.: The list of folders and files that I have either "copied" or "moved" a file to is long and contains locations that I haven't used in a very long time. I would like to either clear the list selectively or totally, if necessary. Replies to similar questions that I can find in...
  10. How to remove old folders in "move to" and "copy to" function.