Windows 10: Moving the Windows system partition

Discus and support Moving the Windows system partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I'd like to move my Windows partition (C:) from being the last partition on the SSD to being the first. Is this a safe operation to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PhantomR, Apr 11, 2019.

1. PhantomR Win User

Moving the Windows system partition

Hi everyone,

I'd like to move my Windows partition (CMoving the Windows system partition :) from being the last partition on the SSD to being the first. Is this a safe operation to do with MiniTool or EaseUS? Do I have to do anything extra after the move to make sure everything's in order? Or will the system just fail after the move and I have to fix the bootloader or something like that?

:)

PhantomR, Apr 11, 2019
  2. FX-GMC Win User

Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, Apr 11, 2019
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Apr 11, 2019
  4. Moving the Windows system partition

Help! Data partition not showing under my computer

This is happening on a windows 2000 server. Our second partition of the system, for data is not showing under my computer. Here are the properties of it in disk management:

Moving the Windows system partition partition.jpg

Now under logical drives its listed as F and shows free space available.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Hybrid_theory, Apr 11, 2019
Thema:

Moving the Windows system partition

1. Moving the Windows system partition - Similar Threads - Moving system partition

2. How to move "EFI System Partition"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move "EFI System Partition"?: Hi guys, I need to move my m.2 drivedisk 1 in pic above to a different pc but when I did so, it didn't boot. When I installed windows 10 onto disk 1, I'm pretty sure disk 0 was plugged in as well. I suspect that the reason disk 1 won't boot on a different pcwithout disk 0 is...
  3. How to move "EFI System Partition"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move "EFI System Partition"?: Hi guys, I need to move my m.2 drivedisk 1 in pic above to a different pc but when I did so, it didn't boot. When I installed windows 10 onto disk 1, I'm pretty sure disk 0 was plugged in as well. I suspect that the reason disk 1 won't boot on a different pcwithout disk 0 is...
  4. How to move "EFI System Partition"?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to move EFI System Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to move EFI System Partition: Hello. I would like to move EFI System Partition from Disk 1 HDD - GPT to SSD Disk 0 to unallocated space. How can I do it? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-efi-system-partition/e51edcaf-24b6-4ade-bbc4-a6a96d649d09
  6. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  7. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  8. How to move EFI System Partition?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to move EFI System Partition?: I'm in a bit of a weird situation. A couple of months ago, I did a fresh install of Win10 onto a new 1TB M.2 SSD I had recently bought, wanting to use the old 500GB SATA SSD for something else. The computer runs flawlessly and boots up quickly (besides asking me which...
  9. How to "move" an EFI system partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to "move" an EFI system partition: I'd like to move a 200MiB EFI partition to the D-drive to join some unallocated space together. It's on my hard drive (D: drive) and if i don't need it at all i would like to delete it. Planning on dual booting Debian on the ~300GiB of unused space.[ATTACH]...
  10. Move system partition to primary disk?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move system partition to primary disk?: So I recently formatted my Windows 8.1 system and installed Windows 10. But it seems that the setup decided to set my System parition to a separate HDD (G: ) and put the bootmgr and all the boot files there, instead of using the left-over 350MB System Reserved partition on my...