Windows 10: moving thunderbird data from C to D

Discus and support moving thunderbird data from C to D in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I want to move all Thunderbird data and settings from C to D (easier back-up). I followed the instructions from Mozilla (moving a profile). I am able... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by PiKo, Sep 22, 2017.

1. PiKo Win User

moving thunderbird data from C to D

I want to move all Thunderbird data and settings from C to D (easier back-up). I followed the instructions from Mozilla (moving a profile).
    I am able to: find the profiles folder, moving the profiles folder, creating a new profile with thunderbird.exe -p, changing the profiles.ini file.
    I tried this several times and all I see is the introductory thunderbird screen and my old settings and old email data donot come up.
    Apparently I miss something, but have no idea what.

:)

2. JimWynne Win User

Moving Free Space From D to C

Think about what you're asking. Let's say you have two buckets--a one-gallon bucket and a two-gallon bucket. The smaller bucket is nearly full of water. The larger bucket has little or no water in it. How can you move the available space in the larger
    bucket to the smaller one? You obviously can't. There are three possible solutions, though: You can pour some of the water in the smaller bucket into the larger one, you can dump some of the water in the smaller bucket down the drain, or you can pour all
    of the water in the smaller bucket into the larger one.

JimWynne, Sep 22, 2017
  3. Moving Free Space From D to C

+1

There is a forth option. Buy a 5 gallon bucket and pour the water from the one gallon into the 5.

Liked your analogy

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Sep 22, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Sep 22, 2017
  5. PiKo Win User
    Thanks for reaction. In Mozilla Knowledge Base there are many locations where moving, copying, migrating data are treated. They all treat the issue somewhat different. None of them (including the above ref) worked for me and I spent a lot of time trying.
    Just now I found a ref. which treats the issue very clearly, and it worked for me!
    Ref: https://www.lifewire.com/move-thunde...rofile-1173159
    Not only I moved the relevant data to D: but I had, due to Windows problems, to load an earlier Windows image. Due to the move, the email data stayed up-to-date.

PiKo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. moving thunderbird data from C to D - Similar Threads - moving thunderbird data

2. Error code 0x70070005 when moving data from C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error code 0x70070005 when moving data from C drive to D drive: I have low space on the C drive and lots of space on the D drive so I've tried moving things from the C drive to the D drive than it says Error code 0x70070005 access is denied I've tried googling it and it says to try to update windows 11 and reset windows and scan for...
  3. MOVING FILES FROM C TO D DRIVE

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MOVING FILES FROM C TO D DRIVE: I've been trying to move my folders from C drive to D drive to free up space but its telling me the folder can't be moved here as there is a folder in the same location even when i delete said folder from D drive.Any suggestions as to what i'm doing wrong please...
  4. MOVING FILES FROM C TO D DRIVE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MOVING FILES FROM C TO D DRIVE: I've been trying to move my folders from C drive to D drive to free up space but its telling me the folder can't be moved here as there is a folder in the same location even when i delete said folder from D drive.Any suggestions as to what i'm doing wrong please...
  5. MOVING FILES FROM C TO D DRIVE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How to move Edge from C to D?

in Browsers and Email
    How to move Edge from C to D?: I have Win 10 Pro 21H1 I have a small SSD, running out of space. I wanted to uninstall Edge, and re-install on the D partition. Control Panel only allows "Change" In Start > Settings > Apps the Uninstall button is greyed out. Please advise. Thanks. 184047
  7. Moving Thunderbird data or profile to a second drive ?

in Browsers and Email
    Moving Thunderbird data or profile to a second drive ?: I just installed a second drive for storage & want to offload & direct TB email to it from the C: drive. Most articles I've seen explain how to move the profile to a second drive. But some tell how to just change the file path in TB and save just the email to another drive....
  8. moving windows from C: to D:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    moving windows from C: to D:: Is this safe and possible cause I have a ssd that is almost full and i want to move the whole windows folder to data which I think is hdd but I don't know how or if it is safe to do so without any damage done....
  9. Move OneDrive folder from C to D

in Windows 10 Customization
    Move OneDrive folder from C to D: New Dell PC with HD C512GB and D2TB and can't figure how to move OneDrive to D HD as default place to keep all files/pictures, etc. will not let me change location. thanks...
  10. Move data from C drive to D

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Move data from C drive to D: How to move a c drive that is full to the D drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-data-from-c-drive-to-d/0df7a77f-dcac-4ec1-9d53-148f0565176e