Windows 10: Moving Thunderbird data or profile to a second drive ?

Discus and support Moving Thunderbird data or profile to a second drive ? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I just installed a second drive for storage & want to offload & direct TB email to it from the C: drive. Most articles I've seen explain how to move... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Mike100, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Mike100 Win User

Moving Thunderbird data or profile to a second drive ?

I just installed a second drive for storage & want to offload & direct TB email to it from the C: drive. Most articles I've seen explain how to move the profile to a second drive. But some tell how to just change the file path in TB and save just the email to another drive. The second method seems like the cleaner process because only the email is affected. However moving the whole profile seems to be the dominant process that I come across. Is moving the profile a better way? Thanks

:)

Mike100, Aug 5, 2021
  2. PiKo Win User

moving thunderbird data from C to D

I want to move all Thunderbird data and settings from C to D (easier back-up). I followed the instructions from Mozilla (moving a profile).
    I am able to: find the profiles folder, moving the profiles folder, creating a new profile with thunderbird.exe -p, changing the profiles.ini file.
    I tried this several times and all I see is the introductory thunderbird screen and my old settings and old email data donot come up.
    Apparently I miss something, but have no idea what.

PiKo, Aug 5, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Moving user folder to new Drive

From your second screenshot it is Thundrebird that is using your hard drive space

Here are the steps to move that Thunderbird Profiles folder (scroll down to that section)

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-w...

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research
    any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

DaveM121, Aug 5, 2021
  4. John582n Win User

Windows Live Issue & Thunderbird folders

Hi Allan

Windows Live Mail

Could be a corrupt WLM database. I suggest you try the following (assuming you use the default location of the WLM data).

Warning - this process will remove your email accounts and all emails in the mail boxes and Storage Folders

• Close Windows Live Mail
    • In File Explorer, navigate to C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Microsoft, locate the Windows Live Mail folder
    • Make a backup of the Windows Live Mail folder on a flash drive or somewhere else. (With this backup you will at least be able to view individual mail messages)
    • Delete the Windows Live Mail Folder
    • Restart Windows Live Mail - it should behave like when it first installed, requesting your account details etc.

Thunderbird

Which INI files did you rename? If you didn't rename any ini files in the folder C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Thunderbird\Profiles, do the following:

• Close Thunderbird
    • Make a backup copy of C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Thunderbird\Profiles
    • Delete the folder
    • Uninstall Thunderbird
    • Reinstall Thunderbird but don't start it
    • Restore the above folder fro the backup
    • Start Thunderbird.

If that doesn't work try playing around with the Thunderbird Profile Manager

• Hold Windows key and tap R, enter the following exactly with quotes etc. in the "Open" box, OK
    • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -P
    • If you see "Default User", select it and tick "Use the selected profile without asking at startup"
    • Click Start Thunderbird and see if your profile (messages, accounts, contacts) appears
    • If not, close Thunderbird, Start the Thunderbird Profile Manager again
    • This time click "Create profile" to start a wizard, click Next
    • Enter a profile name, click Choose folder
    • See if you can locate your profile folder, select it. Start Thunderbird

John582n, Aug 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Moving Thunderbird data or profile to a second drive ? - Similar Threads - Moving Thunderbird data

2. Directing data to a second drive ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Directing data to a second drive ?: To direct data to a second drive I thought you opened File Explorer > This PC > then right clicked (for example) Music > Properties and changed the Location. However I can also open File Explorer > This PC > then left click Documents which displays Music along with other the...
  3. Directing data to a second drive ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Directing data to a second drive ?: To direct data to a second drive I thought you opened File Explorer > This PC > then right clicked (for example) Music > Properties and changed the Location. However I can also open File Explorer > This PC > then left click Documents which displays Music along with other the...
  4. Thunderbird data location

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird data location: I am new to Mozilla Thunderbird and need (want) to know where TBird keeps its messages, address book, calendar and the like. All under W10 ver 1909. Thank you. 161064
  5. Thunderbird Profile problems

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird Profile problems: Windows v 1903 I have been running Windows 10 for about 3 months now. And in that time I have used Thunderbird for Email. Now, suddenly, it demands that I set up a Profile. But it won't let me set one up. There is no way I can produce a new profile or get one to "stick" in...
  6. Issues with profile as data moved to Temp folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issues with profile as data moved to Temp folder: Everything has been moved to a C:\Users\TEMP folder. When I copy files back to This PC's c: drive (i.e. Documents, Downloads) the files are being synchronized with the TEMP folder files. I don't see any update history - any idea what happened here? Is there some kind of...
  7. Moving Data to New Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Moving Data to New Drive: I bought a new laptop that had a 256GB SSD and added a 500GB HDD as the data drive. Now, on occasion, I'm hearing a slight metallic clicking sound. (I believe it may be the HDD) Not wanting to take the chance of losing a bunch of data, I want to move it to another HDD that I...
  8. Directing data to a second drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Directing data to a second drive: I have a laptop running windows 10 pro, which has a 260g ssd and a 1t hard drive. All programs and data reside on the SSD., which is nearly full. How do I direct data to the other drive? Thanks in advance....
  9. %appdata% on Failed Drive | Move Thunderbird Profile to New Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    %appdata% on Failed Drive | Move Thunderbird Profile to New Drive: I have found some discussions on this but none are very clear. It seems that the only way to access a profile on the old drive is through %appdata% from the Run menu. The run then %appdata% works on my current machine. But I have not been able to figure out how to search...
  10. moving thunderbird data from C to D

in Browsers and Email
    moving thunderbird data from C to D: I want to move all Thunderbird data and settings from C to D (easier back-up). I followed the instructions from Mozilla (moving a profile). I am able to: find the profiles folder, moving the profiles folder, creating a new profile with thunderbird.exe -p, changing the...