Windows 10: Moving to a new desktop

Discus and support Moving to a new desktop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a 4 year old desktop with Win 10 Pro 2004 installed together with a whole collection of special programmes that I have added over the last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Snugglebugs, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Moving to a new desktop

I have a 4 year old desktop with Win 10 Pro 2004 installed together with a whole collection of special programmes that I have added over the last decade using other machines. The PC is an AMD double core CPU which is not really up to the current requirements. I am thinking of getting a new PC with an Intel four core etc CPU and transferring all my files and programmes to that. Probably with an SSD instead of the current HDD.

But I have some doubts as to exactly how to go about it.

1. The current PC came with a Windows installation partition which started up automatically to install Win 10 Home as the OS. Accidentally, I let it install using Danish instead of English. Eventually I reconfigured it to use English as the system etc language and mostly that works. But only if I allow new versions to install through Windows Update. It won't allow 'upgrading' using a non-Danish ISO file unless I ditch my own non-MS files etc. It is a nuisance but not a problem on the current machine.
    2. But, obviously a new machine will think that Danish is required! I will try and make sure that I catch it in time and choose English from the start. But what will happen if i use AOMEI or similar to load the data from the old machine to the new?
    3. What is the best way of making the change? And is the Product Key or the Installed Key the one that I must use to set the install to Pro? (Checked via Image-Health option 11.)

Tony

:)

Snugglebugs, Jul 18, 2020

2. Automatically moving a fullscreen window onto a new desktop

Hi Joel,

In Windows 10, there is an option to open an app in a fullscreen view. This way, it will be possible for you to make the fullscreen window move to a new desktop. Follow these steps to do so.

• Right click on the application.
    • Select Properties.
    • Click on the Shortcut tab.
    • Beside the Run option, click on the drop-down menu and then choose Maximized.
    • Click on Apply button and then click OK.

If further assistance is needed, we are here to help.

Darleen Pen, Jul 18, 2020
  3. Cyndera80 Win User
    Cannot move desktop to a new location in Windows 7

I've been trying to move the desktop location on a machine that runs Windows 7.

On my own machine (Windows 10), there's a "Location" tab in the desktop properties.

That tab is missing on the machine that runs Windows 7.

I came across the suggestion below in other threads, but it is not working for me. Any other suggestions on how to change to location or how to get the location tab to show?

Thanks!

1. Open the Registry editor (Regedit.exe)
    2. Browse to the location:

HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > User Shell Folders.
    3. In the right window pane select the required value (i.e. Desktop).
    4. Insert the new location for the folder to be stored.
    5. Close the registry editor and log off

--> Didn't work.

Cyndera80, Jul 18, 2020
  4. JohnFyffe Win User

Moving to a new desktop

Move Favorites icon to desktop win-10

Your suggestion does not work. It did work on Windows 7.

JohnFyffe, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

Moving to a new desktop

1. Moving to a new desktop - Similar Threads - Moving desktop

2. How do I move the OneDrive Desktop to the default desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I move the OneDrive Desktop to the default desktop?: I want the desktop stored on OneDrive to be my default desktop when I open Windows, then I want to get rid of OneDrive, so it doesn't keep saving additions to my desktop there.I also want to get rid of all the other desktops, as I don't need them, and don't use multiple...
  3. How do I move the OneDrive Desktop to the default desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I move the OneDrive Desktop to the default desktop?: I want the desktop stored on OneDrive to be my default desktop when I open Windows, then I want to get rid of OneDrive, so it doesn't keep saving additions to my desktop there.I also want to get rid of all the other desktops, as I don't need them, and don't use multiple...
  4. How to move "Desktop" to top of Quick Access list in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move "Desktop" to top of Quick Access list in Windows 11: The link to my Desktop on Quick Access is defaulted to the bottom. Ideally, I would like this at the top, above Downloads. I can drag and move all other folders, hidden names for privacy including Downloads, but when I drag and move the Desktop, it will show it moved then...
  5. How to move "Desktop" to top of Quick Access list in Windows 11

How to move "Desktop" to top of Quick Access list in Windows 11: The link to my Desktop on Quick Access is defaulted to the bottom. Ideally, I would like this at the top, above Downloads. I can drag and move all other folders, hidden names for privacy including Downloads, but when I drag and move the Desktop, it will show it moved then...
  6. Can't click icons or move icons on my desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't click icons or move icons on my desktop.: I'm appreciated if somebody can help me to fix the problem. Sometimes after using my laptop for a while, I can't move or click open the icons on my desktop, except the very left two columns. When I tried to drag icons from the left two columns to the right part of the screen,...
  7. Can't click icons or move icons on my desktop.

Can't click icons or move icons on my desktop.: I'm appreciated if somebody can help me to fix the problem. Sometimes after using my laptop for a while, I can't move or click open the icons on my desktop, except the very left two columns. When I tried to drag icons from the left two columns to the right part of the screen,...
  8. I cons on desktop moved from initial position

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cons on desktop moved from initial position: Hi,recently after booting up my PC, I noticed that some of the application icons on the desktop have moved I am wondering if it is a virus or a bug of a sort I did a full scan with Microsoft Defender but all was clean. So is it a virus?Thankyou...
  9. I cons on desktop moved from initial position

I cons on desktop moved from initial position: Hi,recently after booting up my PC, I noticed that some of the application icons on the desktop have moved I am wondering if it is a virus or a bug of a sort I did a full scan with Microsoft Defender but all was clean. So is it a virus?Thankyou...
  10. OneDrive moved my Desktop into a OneDrive folder and removed everything on my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive moved my Desktop into a OneDrive folder and removed everything on my computer: My Desktop is no longer in my User folder- it has been moved into a folder called 'OneDrive'. I don't want OneDrive. How did OneDrive install itself on my computer? Why is it messing around with my files? I didn't give it permission to do this and I am very upset.How do I...