Windows 10: Moving to a New Hard drive

Discus and support Moving to a New Hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So recently my old hard drive died. I cannot go to boot or anything so I have purchased a new hard drive I'm unable to get to my operating system on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GhostPower6, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Moving to a New Hard drive

So recently my old hard drive died. I cannot go to boot or anything so I have purchased a new hard drive I'm unable to get to my operating system on my old drive since it is entirely dead I still have Windows 10 connected to my account so, how do I get my account in Windows 10 onto this new hard drive as I don't want to have to purchase the operating system when I already own it with my account

:)

GhostPower6, Dec 20, 2018
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Dec 20, 2018
  3. exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Dec 20, 2018
  4. Moving to a New Hard drive

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Dec 20, 2018
Thema:

Moving to a New Hard drive

1. Moving to a New Hard drive - Similar Threads - Moving Hard drive

2. Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive: Cheers everyone,I recently had a bit of trouble with the reliability of my hard drive, so I decided to buy a new SSD and move al my system there.After research on the internet, I found, that a "recovery device" should be able to transfer my windows from one drive to the next....
  3. Moving windows to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving windows to a new hard drive: I've bought a new ssd hard drive, and would like to move window and everything else from my old hard drive to my new one. I have a windows 10 cd but don't want to wait for all the updates to be loaded from windows 11....
  4. Moving windows to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving windows to a new hard drive: I've bought a new ssd hard drive, and would like to move window and everything else from my old hard drive to my new one. I have a windows 10 cd but don't want to wait for all the updates to be loaded from windows 11....
  5. Hard drive move

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard drive move: Haven't seen this question yet. I have an Intel NUC-7. A lightning strike killed this computer and every electronic device in my office. I desire to replace the NUC-7 with a NUC-10 barebones. The 500GB SSD, spinning 2TB HD and the 32GB RAM may have survived. I can move these...
  6. Moving hard drive to new upgraded hardware???

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving hard drive to new upgraded hardware???: I am helping my friend, who’s motherboard has died. What do I have to do to move his hard drive w/ Windows 10 Pro 1909 v18363.815, to a new motherboard & processer? The core is from: Intel i5 4690 to i7 9700 Can I use his current installed windows in new hardware???...
  7. Moving a hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving a hard drive: I have a windows 7 home (64 bit) desktop and a windows 10 pro (64 bit) ver 1903 desktop. Can I pull the 350gb storage hard drive from the windows 7 pc and install it in the windows 10 pc (both pcs are SATA) without loosing any of the files on the hard drive. Can I just move...
  8. Moving hard drive

Moving hard drive: I have a windows 10 computer that is having mother board problem and another similar computer that the hard drive crashed. can I switch the good hard drive to the other computer...
  9. Move my hard drive to a new computer

Move my hard drive to a new computer: Hi My old Samsung laptop has a smashed screen, so I have bought myself a second hand HP laptop. Both laptops have Windows 10 but when I tried to take the hard drive from the Samsung and put it in the HP, I received an error. How can I use my Samsung hard drive and put it...
  10. hard drive move

hard drive move: I have ask this before and have conflicting reply I have an old working comp gateway gt 5014 pent d 2.80 win 10 with 4 gig ram I woulld like to remove hdrive and put into a hp hpe210f amd phenom ii 945 quad 8 gig of ram not sure if this box was upgrades had win7 but...