Windows 10: Moving to a new SSD from my HDD and what the entails

Discus and support Moving to a new SSD from my HDD and what the entails in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I bought an SSD and am going to make that my main drive/boot drive. I plan to transfer my windows 10 digital license to it, which I've been lead to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by aidentomeny, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Moving to a new SSD from my HDD and what the entails

I bought an SSD and am going to make that my main drive/boot drive. I plan to transfer my windows 10 digital license to it, which I've been lead to believe is a thing. I want to know if that is possible and, more importantly, what is going to happen to the files on my old HDD? If they are going to be lost, what would be the best way to go about saving them?

Thanks.

:)

aidentomeny, Aug 10, 2019
  2. SEWsam Win User

Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD

Hello,

Is there any way to move/clone the OS to a new SSD while keeping the programs on the HDD (and being able to still keep the previous location association with shortcuts) (example: Shortcut on desktop: Location: (HDD) C:\Users\Sam\Desktop

Name: Steam

Target: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\Steam.exe

--> Moved to SSD: Location (SSD, as boot drive): D:\Users\Sam\Desktop

Name: Steam

Target: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\Steam.exe <--- Target stays the same)

Is this possible?

SEWsam, Aug 10, 2019
  3. Randatic Win User
    Moving Windows from HDD to SSD

Ok, background. Got a PC from a relative, 2013 dell prebuilt, not bad, but time to upgrade. I have been using it for maybe a year and a half. It has a 1TB HDD that I have many files on. Building a new PC, have everything but case and SSD. I want to use
    a 64GB SSD for boot drive, and HDD for mass storage. I got my current PC ready by removing the 1TB HDD and installing a 231GB laptop from a laptop that was barley functioning. How do I configure my HDD and move my OS? Should I install a new one on the SSD
    and then transfer the activation? I know I can just use my HDD, but I want a clean Windows install, without any old drivers conflicting with my new system. How would I go about doing this? Also what would be the best way to configure an SSD boot drive and
    separate HDD mass storage for files and programs?

Randatic, Aug 10, 2019
  4. AlecYM Win User

Moving to a new SSD from my HDD and what the entails

Moving windows 10 from ssd to hdd.

Hi, I was wondering if I would be able to move my Windows 10 from my HDD to my new SSD.

AlecYM, Aug 10, 2019
Thema:

Moving to a new SSD from my HDD and what the entails

1. Moving to a new SSD from my HDD and what the entails - Similar Threads - Moving SSD HDD

2. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving windows from HDD to SSD: Hi, I bought a new SSD and I want to move windows from my old HDD, the problem is that my HDD where windows is installed has more storage than the SSD and is also full ie. 1.7TB/2TB whereas my SSD has 250GB. I want to know how I can move windows in my situation. Thanks in...
  3. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving windows from HDD to SSD: Hi, I bought a new SSD and I want to move windows from my old HDD, the problem is that my HDD where windows is installed has more storage than the SSD and is also full ie. 1.7TB/2TB whereas my SSD has 250GB. I want to know how I can move windows in my situation. Thanks in...
  4. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Move my OS from HDD to SSD

Move my OS from HDD to SSD: If I move my OS to my SSD from my HDD, whether I decide to clone the hard drive or do a clean Reinstall, will it still recognize my desktop? like will all of my applications still be installed and will all of my games be installed along with all of my save files and/or memory...
  7. Moving my OS from HDD to SSD

Moving my OS from HDD to SSD: Hey guys, Doing a massive overhaul of my computer and finally moving my OS to my HDD to SSD. New everything, the only things I am keeping is my power supply and HDD. I read that to do it without wiping, I'd need a cloning tool. However, I don't care enough about that. All...
  8. Move data from ssd to hdd?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move data from ssd to hdd?: I built my pc yesterday, installed everything and my 250gb ssd is already full. How can I move my files from the ssd to the hdd? Thanks a lot! Daten von ssd auf hdd verschieben?
  9. Move my os from a HDD into a SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move my os from a HDD into a SSD: Greetings. What's the best FREE tool/method to simply move the os from a 1tb HDD into a 120gb SSD? I don't need to save personal files or anything since the HDD will remain as a secondary drive. But almost every single guide I found is suggesting using a paid software (like...
  10. Moving from HDD to SSD

Moving from HDD to SSD: Hello, I recently decided to buy a new 1TB SSD to “replace” my current and only HDD. I’ve been using my HDD for some time now and I wanted to make the SSD my windows 10 boot drive but I’m not sure how to do this. I wanted to make it a clean install so I can add my programs...